ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened at Coachella on Friday?  (Read 31423 times)

Robert Lofgren

Re: What happened at Coachella on Friday?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 04:20:47 AM »

I read somewhere else that it was due to generator problems because they were supplied three smaller generators instead of two beefier ones, even though the total supply was to be the same, and barfed when the electronics needed more peak power?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 07:19:40 AM »

I read somewhere else that it was due to generator problems because they were supplied three smaller generators instead of two beefier ones, even though the total supply was to be the same, and barfed when the electronics needed more peak power?
Sensitive things (like consoles) should be on a UPS.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 11:12:43 AM »

Sensitive things (like consoles) should be on a UPS.

I think the UPS thing is over valued... Unless you have a very high quality UPS, you're probably just adding another failure point.  If you have a cheap UPS and it switches to battery power, are you going to make it through your gig?  Most modern equipment with well designed PSUs should be able to handle most situations that you'll run into.

Also where is the line drawn?  What about amps that have DSP built into them--we'd probably not put them on a UPS.  Intelligent lighting?  I'd rather recommend that people meter/monitor their power, make sure you use good generators, and invest in quality AC distribution.

Jeff "Not trying to pick on Ivan" K :)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »

Also where is the line drawn?  What about amps that have DSP built into them--we'd probably not put them on a UPS.  Intelligent lighting?  I'd rather recommend that people meter/monitor their power, make sure you use good generators, and invest in quality AC distribution.

My opinion is that anything that anything that is constantly updated throughout the show and takes several minutes to boot up should be on a UPS. Audio consoles, lighting consoles, and computers without an internal battery, for example.

It's not about making it through the gig on battery power, it's about getting through brief interruptions without going down for several minutes while everything reboots.

Amps and DSP usually boot pretty quickly. Most consoles and computers don't. You can't (and shouldn't) put a UPS on everything, but having them on the sensitive components that take a while to boot makes sense to me. If you don't want to run UPS's on your equipment, that's your decision, but you're not going to talk me out of running mine.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »

My opinion is that anything that anything that is constantly updated throughout the show and takes several minutes to boot up should be on a UPS. Audio consoles, lighting consoles, and computers without an internal battery, for example.

It's not about making it through the gig on battery power, it's about getting through brief interruptions without going down for several minutes while everything reboots.

Amps and DSP usually boot pretty quickly. Most consoles and computers don't. You can't (and shouldn't) put a UPS on everything, but having them on the sensitive components that take a while to boot makes sense to me. If you don't want to run UPS's on your equipment, that's your decision, but you're not going to talk me out of running mine.

Agreed.  I put a UPS on anything that a power hiccup is going to force a reboot on.  Digital audio consoles, DSP units, video switches, video routers, etc.

With DSP in amps that blurs the lines.  Ideally you'd be able to mute the amps (and cut the high current draw as a result) whenever a UPS kicked in.  With the right setup you could accomplish this and for an install it might be useful.  However, as someone else said up thread having good power is a better option.  That said, I've experienced unexplained power blips in buildings that should have been golden.  Didn't have UPS in the racks then and it caused a little scrambling.  We've fixed that now.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »

And if there is a quick dip in voltage "hopefully" the UPS will be able to take care of that.

The cheap ones???  But one that constantly provides power will be fine and keep the console from rebooting or shutting down
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »

I also put the stagebox on UPS power.
I had the stage power go down once and when the stagebox came back on, there was a BIG pop.  I think anything that takes time to reboot should be protected from having to.  Finding the power issue and fixing it can be blamed on the house and you get to be the hero.  But waiting everything boots back up is always on you.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »

First, I take the blame for the Radiohead console failure.  I wasn't there and have nothing to do with the band but I was told today is my turn to be Designated Scapegoat, so there you have it. /sarc

Humor aside, I'm a big believer in UPS back up for *everything* that has a boot time of more than a few seconds.  Consoles, system DSP, lighting consoles, etc.

WWE has the biggest UPS I've ever seen in portable use (and they have generators and land line power with auto switching).  The UPS powers the primary production truck and the uplink truck for the 10 seconds it takes to accomplish the switch over.  The battery bank and inverter are both about the size of a large commercial refrigerator (and weigh considerably more).

If Vince McMahon can have a UPS, so can I!!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »

First, I take the blame for the Radiohead console failure.  I wasn't there and have nothing to do with the band but I was told today is my turn to be Designated Scapegoat, so there you have it. /sarc

Humor aside, I'm a big believer in UPS back up for *everything* that has a boot time of more than a few seconds.  Consoles, system DSP, lighting consoles, etc.

WWE has the biggest UPS I've ever seen in portable use (and they have generators and land line power with auto switching).  The UPS powers the primary production truck and the uplink truck for the 10 seconds it takes to accomplish the switch over.  The battery bank and inverter are both about the size of a large commercial refrigerator (and weigh considerably more).

If Vince McMahon can have a UPS, so can I!!

I saw a similar rig at the RNC.  I believe it was a 90kva Liebert.  Small battery bank.  Maybe 30 minutes of run time.  Just enough to swap a genie out or do any other mains maintenance.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »

WWE has the biggest UPS I've ever seen in portable use.
That's because the penalty for going down is being thrown in the ring.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.