ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened at Coachella on Friday?  (Read 31565 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: What happened at Coachella on Friday?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 08:53:40 PM »

What's really remarkable is how rare it is that this sort of thing happens, not that someone didn't have an identical spare console on line for instant change over on a festival.  My favorite crash dive call back in the days of large analog consoles was to provide a spare PSU cable. The tour had a top of the line console, dual supplies, shock mounted cases, one console supply cable and one short jumper between the supplies. What gets the most physical abuse twice a day on tour?  The cables.  How many tours carry spare one of a kind cables?  Not enough apparently.  When your mixing console is smart enough to tell you it's unhappy listen to it but the economics of the business don't make carrying a spare, dedicated online $100k mixing console a workable option.

For those of us who are following along at home and don't understand why this is an issue (me).

Can someone explain?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »

A friend of mine is out on tour as the video tech with a B+ level country act and he says they carry a back up for the FOB and monitor boards. He said they use the same model Digico  at FOH and monitors and the back up system is the same model as well. He wasn't sure of the exact model number.

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »

What's really remarkable is how rare it is that this sort of thing happens, not that someone didn't have an identical spare console on line for instant change over on a festival.   ....

My sentiments exactly. Admittedly I'm looking up from the depths of the lounge here, but considering the logistics of a show this size, it's impressive these major failures don't happen more often.

But let's put the rumors to rest, Dave already detailed exactly what happened via one ingenuous tweet...

Lyle Williams

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »

It is easy to throw stones with the benefit of hindsight.

Highly reliable digital system just stops.  20 seconds to come up with a plan - umm - restart it!

Then it stops again.  ****.  20 seconds to come up with a new plan - **** - replace it.

They say time flys when you are having fun, but the truth is that time never goes past as fast as when something is down and people are looking at you.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »

For those of us who are following along at home and don't understand why this is an issue (me).

Can someone explain?
If the console had completely failed and the show may have been cancelled or delayed for a long time, a backup console would be useful.
However, a failure to pass audio for even 2 or 3 minutes will not be solved with a back up console.
The rarity of these types of failures and the cost of carrying (or renting) a couple of $30,000 consoles may not be financially viable.
"My car broke down and I can't make it to work on time"
"Well, don't you have a back up?" ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

David Allred

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 09:18:25 AM »

If the console had completely failed and the show may have been cancelled or delayed for a long time, a backup console would be useful.
However, a failure to pass audio for even 2 or 3 minutes will not be solved with a back up console.
The rarity of these types of failures and the cost of carrying (or renting) a couple of $30,000 consoles may not be financially viable.

"A tornado destroyed my house.  Can I stay at your house?"
"Don't you have a back-up?"

Peter Morris

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 09:30:59 AM »

FWIW ... a 6L-32D Control Surface and E6L-192 Engine and Stage 64 Remote I/O has a MSRP of around $90K  :-\

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »

I'm not quite clear how a backup would have helped unless it was fully wired and redundant.
A backup console helps if you go down during setup, but during the show would be a major problem.

...and others...

Thanks! I just always thought on the larger gigs where they have enough money for the best gear that even with the insanely low failure rates they can afford to have a redundant console with near seamless switchover. I mean those shows where they have UPS's for backup while switching to generator power, etc. That's crazy to have redundancy on the power...why not a console too?

I get having backups on site not hooked up don't help. But having them hooked up and ready to swap (even if it is a few cables?) or even a smaller/different console?

(lounge level rubbish...) I mean I have a backup for my main console that I take on the bigger gigs. I might not be able to hot swap it. But at least I can say if the main console goes down I can still get something going within 15min or so *shrug*
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 09:42:36 AM »

Thanks! I just always thought on the larger gigs where they have enough money for the best gear that even with the insanely low failure rates they can afford to have a redundant console with near seamless switchover. I mean those shows where they have UPS's for backup while switching to generator power, etc. That's crazy to have redundancy on the power...why not a console too?

I get having backups on site not hooked up don't help. But having them hooked up and ready to swap (even if it is a few cables?) or even a smaller/different console?

(lounge level rubbish...) I mean I have a backup for my main console that I take on the bigger gigs. I might not be able to hot swap it. But at least I can say if the main console goes down I can still get something going within 15min or so *shrug*

I have seen tours with 3 consoles - FOH, Monitors, and HOT SPARE, set up on rolling racks ready to be wheeled into position.  All you do is move multi pin cables.  Still takes 5-15 minutes. The brand was not Avid....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »

FWIW consoles such as Digico’s SD7 incorporates dual redundant mix engines and complete power and operating redundancy.  Similarly the Midas ProX has dual-redundant control computers, and three removable power supplies - only two of which are required for operation.

Most mid and large scale consoles have dual redundant snakes and power supplies.  The PSUs are typically interchangeable and hot swappable. 

Allen & Heaths dLive is interesting in that the mix engine is in the stage rack and will continue to mix even if the surface at FOH is removed. In desperation you can still mix with your laptop.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.