ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened at Coachella on Friday?  (Read 31429 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What happened at Coachella on Friday?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »

That's because the penalty for going down is being thrown in the ring.

LOL.  I'd like to see someone throw either the battery bank or the inverter....  It was sketchy moving them with a 5000 lbs fork truck.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 01:32:11 PM »

LOL.  I'd like to see someone throw either the battery bank or the inverter....  It was sketchy moving them with a 5000 lbs fork truck.
At the day job (IT in a multi-story office tower) we had a 50KVA Powerware UPS with built-in 480v -> 120/208v stepdown transformer and two battery cabinets.  Each cabinet was a series string of batteries, providing a string voltage of 540 volts so the inverter didn't need to step up the voltage.  IIRC, the inverter cabinet and each battery string were ~3000lbs each and were right next to each other.  I'm fairly sure we were overweight for the office tower, at least considering the amount of floor under the unit.

Due to virtualization and "the cloud", it has since been replaced with a much smaller multi-string, tall dorm-fridge-sized 12KVA unit with internal batteries.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 03:04:58 PM »

If this had been posted in the Lounge, the response from everyone would've been:

"I can't believe they didn't have a back-up console. Especially if it was spitting out error messages. I would've fixed it at first sign, thrown it in the trash, or had another console or two as a back-up."

(sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, it does seem odd that they didn't have some type of contingency plan in the event of an issue. I'd love to know if it was truly generator related or if it was an existing software glitch in the band's console.

David Allred

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »

If this had been posted in the Lounge, the response from everyone would've been:

"I can't believe they didn't have a back-up console. Especially if it was spitting out error messages. I would've fixed it at first sign, thrown it in the trash, or had another console or two as a back-up."

(sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, it does seem odd that they didn't have some type of contingency plan in the event of an issue. I'd love to know if it was truly generator related or if it was an existing software glitch in the band's console.

How dare you.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »

(sorry, couldn't resist)

We're an Avid shop.  I've been inside a cranky SC48 and replaced faders on the Profile surface.  The error messages you DO get are helpful but seem to pop up right as the failure commences.  It's possible to recover semi-graciously from some errors but full recovery requires a soft reboot.  Errors from remote racks don't seem have early-warning popups.

No matter, though.  If this was genuinely a known condition the SE or BE should have been on the phone with Avid's excellent 24/7 support (they walked me through a hard drive replacement on the phone).  I'd think the hire company would have sent parts or a back up if they'd been asked, but I'm not privy to the business arrangements.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »

Thats just mean.

My girlfriend told me bout this day before, she read up a uk gossip site or something.
She asked me what could've happened, and I said the Bloop and the Bleep sounds like the console may have gone down.

Her instant reaction was "They weren't carrying a backup?"... Im still cringing from those words..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:35:53 PM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 05:12:32 PM »

I think the UPS thing is over valued... Unless you have a very high quality UPS, you're probably just adding another failure point.

Might one assume that if one forked out the cash for an S6L, one would also be able to afford something better than a "dime store" UPS?

That said, Eaton makes some nice rack mount UPS's that don't cost a fortune.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 06:21:58 PM »

Her instant reaction was "They weren't carrying a backup?"... Im still cringing from those words..

For those of us who are following along at home and don't understand why this is an issue (me).

Can someone explain?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 07:31:07 PM »

I'm not quite clear how a backup would have helped unless it was fully wired and redundant.
A backup console helps if you go down during setup, but during the show would be a major problem.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »

I'm not quite clear how a backup would have helped unless it was fully wired and redundant.
A backup console helps if you go down during setup, but during the show would be a major problem.
I had a 3K with 2 supplies go down during a show. Looked like the 1st supply blew, and took out the board. 2nd supply powered up, but the board was already toast. (Turned out it was something to do with Phantom Power that shut everything down. Desk was back in service in a week)
In 5 minutes I had my personal 2404 sitting on top of the 3K, another 15 minutes to put a 40 input show on 24, set rough gains, and on with the show.
Promoter was happy once we restarted, Patch Bitch was happy because I did it all from my end, Monitor Dude was happy because I didn't steal his board for FOH.
No, not fully wired and redundant, but in this digital age, with a digital snake, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do what I did in 20. PLUS, You have a copy of the showfile. No fuking around with patches and gains.
Truly plug and go.
And yes, If it takes longer than 5 seconds to boot, it can't be allowed to shut down.
And yes, if the tool you depend on is throwing error messages, why the fuck is it still on the platform ?
Oh well.
Glad I'm not touring any more.
Chris. 
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.