ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: When you're asked to supply background music or DJ a portion of your sound gig  (Read 7373 times)

Roland Clarke

You know what?  I'd work to find out exactly what they wanted and deliver.  This is a service industry and as much as we love to come in here and "bitch" about clients often "silly" requests, we get hired for making things happen for them.  The better we do this, the more we get hired.  Just saying...

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
Re: Unst
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 09:59:24 AM »

They just broke it to me NOW that there's a dance portion. Not very professional or experienced clients - they're not doing it on purpose. Think.. community do-gooders. I sympathize because I'm involved in a lot of stuff in my own community. But the instructions are.. you can probably guess.. to play .."dance music."

Okay. That narrows it down.  >:( I've done Northern Soul dance parties. I've done 80's dance parties. I've done "Prom through the Ages" even, but give me something to go on, here.. I hate top 40. I don't own top 40. I don't even think THEY want top 40, except that what is "dance music," then?

As someone that has been into dance music since the 80s, dance music could be something quite mainstream or quite underground or something which crossed over from the latter to the former and within any of those descriptors could be any one of a jillion different sub-genres.  It is too easy for this to go wrong so if you want to do this, you need specific titles of stuff they are into.  It would be like bringing buddy holly when megadeath is really desired

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

Checkout my Spotify albums.

They might be helpful *shrug*

https://open.spotify.com/user/lightingman117/playlist/063cDmEC8yUsy7G58izPX2
https://open.spotify.com/user/lightingman117/playlist/2VLJlYENVjFOZFrsY2cEC9

*Disclaimer, probably not legal to use...but neither is breathing so...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Josh Billings

Download Mark Farina "Mushroom Jazz" and call it a day :-)

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia

To follow up.. educated myself on the music they wanted. Had some help on that from folks here. Sound was great until the dance portion at the end..because the fashion show was over and people wanted to leave to drink and schmooze elsewhere, I presume, and that room sounds bad-awful when it's not filled with enough people. Client happy.. next time I work for them, it will be an outdoor concert. No DJ'ing involved.

Wes Garland

It's a good thing they didn't hire ME.  If they had said "Dance Music", I would've broken out the Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey albums!

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment

Go to Traxxsource.com and Beatport.com
Preview their Top 100 Deep House tracks
Note the artists, then go to YouTube & Soundcloud to find more variety.
There will probably be a bunch of free tracks of that genre to download on Soundcloud.
There are other sub-genres of House that would work also, Soulful House, Future House, Tech House, but you will find the most sparse & vocal-free under the Deep House designation.
Good Luck!
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.