ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Voltage drop question  (Read 16693 times)

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
Re: Voltage drop question
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »

Oh dear, oh dear.
A cord or cable is not an inductor. The field around one conductor is almost completely canceled by the opposite polarity field around the other conductor.

An extension from a distro, yes. The question I had was about the feeder leading from the service entrance or generator to the distro. Think camlocks. They are single conductor relatively high amperage.

Thanks to all who replied. I have learned a lot here and that why I ask. To learn.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »

An extension from a distro, yes. The question I had was about the feeder leading from the service entrance or generator to the distro. Think camlocks. They are single conductor relatively high amperage.

Thanks to all who replied. I have learned a lot here and that why I ask. To learn.
The feeder, just like extension cords, has multiple conductors. Unless you make a separate coil for each conductor, the same cancellation occurs.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »

I don't have time to look for it right now, but I did do the math on this once, and IIRC unless you coil a single feeder wire tightly around an iron core of some sort, the amount of inductance is way too low for any heating effect at 60 Hz. And anything with a neutral and hot in the same sheath would certainly cancel out most external magnetic fields. It would be pretty simple to set up an experiment to prove this one way or another, but I'm heading to Holland and Paris for a few weeks and there's lots of packing to do tomorrow. I'll pick this thread up once I get back.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »

Is that why large feeder, 4/0 etc., isn't coiled but excess is laid in a figure 8 or is that done for inductive reasons?

I'm thinking inductive reasons because if 4/0 would get hot it should be larger or multiple runs.

If you look up "ampacity" in the NEC, you will see a chart with 60 deg C, 75 deg C, and 90 deg C ratings.  Any wire, from 20 awg or smaller to 4/0, or 500 MCM or larger has resistance and will create heat depending on the current flowing through it.  Those ampacities are based on how hot the wire will get under the conditions listed-typically 3 current carrying conductors in a raceway.  If you follow code correctly, you will have to derate the ampacity by the number of conductors in a raceway-by the time you get to 10, the derate is a full 50%.  This is essentially what you are doing when you coil a wire-putting a bunch more wires inthe same space-while a coil is not in a raceway, it still is limited in the amount of heat it can dissipate.
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 10:58:18 PM »

Oh dear, oh dear.
A cord or cable is not an inductor. The field around one conductor is almost completely canceled by the opposite polarity field around the other conductor.

Of course a bundled cable won't exhibit significant inductance.

But what about feeder cables that aren't bundled?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »

Feeders are still in relatively close proximity to one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »

And Code requires that feeders of single conductor cables NOT be bundled, presumably because of heat. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »

And Code requires that feeders of single conductor cables NOT be bundled, presumably because of heat.

What defines a "bundle" here? Every feeder that I have seen over 5ft has been held together with tape every 10ft or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »

If you look up "ampacity" in the NEC, you will see a chart with 60 deg C, 75 deg C, and 90 deg C ratings.  Any wire, from 20 awg or smaller to 4/0, or 500 MCM or larger has resistance and will create heat depending on the current flowing through it.  Those ampacities are based on how hot the wire will get under the conditions listed-typically 3 current carrying conductors in a raceway.  If you follow code correctly, you will have to derate the ampacity by the number of conductors in a raceway-by the time you get to 10, the derate is a full 50%.  This is essentially what you are doing when you coil a wire-putting a bunch more wires inthe same space-while a coil is not in a raceway, it still is limited in the amount of heat it can dissipate.
I recently had to macgyver a fuse for the rear channel of my surround system (kids don't try this at home)  :-[. The smallest wire I could find was 30ga (actually one strand from some 22ga stranded) that I soldered to the outside of the open fuse. Doing some WWW research I discovered that my DIY fuse was rated for >10A...  Only slightly better than a penny in the fuse box...

I swapped out a good fuse from one of the other identical amps in case something was actually wrong with that one amp, and put the DIY fuse in one of the other amps that didn't blow a fuse... My new fuses arrived a few days later and my house didn't burn down in the meantime.  ;D

Of course the fuse current for wire (when the metal melts) is probably higher than the rated ampacity which will be derated based on insulation temperature capability, heat dissipation, and other safety factors.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »

I recently had to macgyver a fuse for the rear channel of my surround system (kids don't try this at home)  :-[. The smallest wire I could find was 30ga (actually one strand from some 22ga stranded) that I soldered to the outside of the open fuse. Doing some WWW research I discovered that my DIY fuse was rated for >10A...  Only slightly better than a penny in the fuse box...

Ok sorry :), but IME no way  30ga carries 10A . 
One of my past lives was elevator adjustor / troubleshooter at large...
Sometimes shorts would appear intermittently, based on momentary circuit logic, that couldn't be metered statically. 
It was easy to chew up a box of buss cartridge fuses trying to hunt the short down.
# of strands of 18ga to temporarily use as substitute during troubleshooting only was pretty common knowledge/practice. 
I don't remember it all so well anymore, but 1 strand carried less than 6A

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.