ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking at some Vintage Stuff, but unsure of pricing?  (Read 832 times)

Keith Kenney

Looking at some Vintage Stuff, but unsure of pricing?
« on: April 03, 2017, 01:27:35 pm »

Hey, thanks for having me...I'm new to the forums and well lets be honest to audio in general.

I have been messing around with different forms of audio (reproduction, mixing etc.) since I was about 11, but I have just seriously been getting into audio in these past few years. I'm 24 and have been collecting some audio equipment to start doing some basic stuff such as weddings, parties, dances etc. I'd like to move more into mixing in these next few years but want to work one area at a time.

I have a couple questions, one regarding some vintage audio equipment I would like to add to my collection as well as I need a good 19U powered mixer in and around the 1000W RMS, but unsure of what to buy.

So my collection is pretty basic, but sounds decent enough for what I do. I found at set of Traynor YSC 7A cabs for sale on a local buy and sell site, and love the look of them. I've had good luck with older stuff and as long as the crossovers and everything work as they should I'm considering picking them up. They look to be in immaculate condition, but the guy wants $300 CAD ($225 USD~)...and I'm not sure how much I should look to actually pay for them. This seems a bit high to me, simply for the fact I know that I will likely have to do work on them in the future but from everything I can find they are a decent sounds (and looking) set of cabs....any insight into anyone who has used them, or any idea what they are worth?

Second question is what do you guys suggest for a sub $1000 powered mixer. I'm currently running two rack amps with a separate mixer and one fairly small Proel 8-channel powered mixer that runs two passive subs. I want something that pushes good tight bass but wont break the bank. Thanks for your input.

What I currently have is listed below:

Peavey IPR-1600 Rack-Mount Power Amp running 2x Peavey PR-15 15" Monitors
Technical Pro AX3000 Rack-Mount Power Amp running 2x Peavey International Series III 15" Monitors w/ Black Widow Drivers
JVC MI-5000 6-Channel Analog Mixer (1970's)
NuMark DXM-01 USB 2-Channel Digital Mixer
Proel XS16 8-Channel Powered Mixer running Peavey PR-Sub 15" Passive Subwoofer

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Looking at some Vintage Stuff, but unsure of pricing?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:31:59 pm »

Please go back and read and follow the posting rules.  You must use your real name or you will not be able to post to the forum.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Looking at some Vintage Stuff, but unsure of pricing?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:31:47 pm »

Hey, thanks for having me...I'm new to the forums and well lets be honest to audio in general.

I have been messing around with different forms of audio (reproduction, mixing etc.) since I was about 11, but I have just seriously been getting into audio in these past few years. I'm 24 and have been collecting some audio equipment to start doing some basic stuff such as weddings, parties, dances etc. I'd like to move more into mixing in these next few years but want to work one area at a time.

I have a couple questions, one regarding some vintage audio equipment I would like to add to my collection as well as I need a good 19U powered mixer in and around the 1000W RMS, but unsure of what to buy.

So my collection is pretty basic, but sounds decent enough for what I do. I found at set of Traynor YSC 7A cabs for sale on a local buy and sell site, and love the look of them. I've had good luck with older stuff and as long as the crossovers and everything work as they should I'm considering picking them up. They look to be in immaculate condition, but the guy wants $300 CAD ($225 USD~)...and I'm not sure how much I should look to actually pay for them. This seems a bit high to me, simply for the fact I know that I will likely have to do work on them in the future but from everything I can find they are a decent sounds (and looking) set of cabs....any insight into anyone who has used them, or any idea what they are worth?

Second question is what do you guys suggest for a sub $1000 powered mixer. I'm currently running two rack amps with a separate mixer and one fairly small Proel 8-channel powered mixer that runs two passive subs. I want something that pushes good tight bass but wont break the bank. Thanks for your input.

What I currently have is listed below:

Peavey IPR-1600 Rack-Mount Power Amp running 2x Peavey PR-15 15" Monitors
Technical Pro AX3000 Rack-Mount Power Amp running 2x Peavey International Series III 15" Monitors w/ Black Widow Drivers
JVC MI-5000 6-Channel Analog Mixer (1970's)
NuMark DXM-01 USB 2-Channel Digital Mixer
Proel XS16 8-Channel Powered Mixer running Peavey PR-Sub 15" Passive Subwoofer

I had a set of those many years ago (early 80's and even then they were considered old second-hand gear). 
They looked cool and unique but didn't sound that great and were blown easily.  The YSC-8 columns I traded them for were a big improvement -and even those were pushed to the ragged edge with the matching 100W mixer-amp that went with them.
You would have to do something like what Ivan Beaver did to his tuck&roll Kustom columns if you wanted to use them in a modern setting.

As far as "powered mixers" are concerned, you are best sticking with power amps and separate non-powered consoles.  It  looks like you already have a good start in that direction.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.