ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: thoughts on parting ways with client?  (Read 17595 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: thoughts on parting ways with client?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »

You're more gracious than I am. Text? I didn't get no stinkin' text...

Really, my toll-free business number does not support text messaging, sorry. Oh, you texted my mobile? Well, I only use/check that when I'm out on a show site, in case someone needs to reach me in an emergency. Really, I have a business number for a reason- that's our number. 888-KELCEMA baby. If I'm on a show, I won't be able to help you *anyways* but someone at the office most likely *can* assist you. Sooooooo. Even if I'm here at the office, if I'm out in the warehouse, I won't have my phone on me for fear of breaking it. So, again, call. the. office. The person answering will come and get me.   :)

I think you and I are of the same mind-set when it comes to texting, Telegram, Facebook, etc, that all the kiddos use these days.

[I had to get Telegram because several shows we do, ALL of their planning and logistics is done via Telegram, and if I need to get any questions answered......... I get answers through that a LOT faster than I would with an email, or even a text message or phone call to someone. Sursly.]

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »

Calls! I should be so lucky.
I get texts  ::)
Not how I like to receive business related info.

Not to swerve your thread too much but email and text to confirm availability are much better for me. Some days it can take me hours to find an opportunity to make an actual phone call...and by that time the gig is gone.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »

I like email because there's a record of it happening. Not so much with the texting. And, I hate typing on the little stupid phone screen! :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 02:22:13 PM »

Now that the topic has sufficiently been swayed. I'm going to be a little bad and sway it more.

The PSW article below is pretty good parallel to the changes in communication technologies.
http://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/moving-target-technology/

I prefer email, because I'm good at writing and I can access it easier than phone and there's a record.

What I don't like is the 10 different apps needed to interface with everyone/thing. I want one app that does everything exceedingly well and works and everyone uses. Tired I am of slack & fb & tapatalk & Telegram, etc.

As for texting through phone. I got mighty text so I can type on computer and send texts. Great for full conversations while you're doing desk work.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 03:29:56 PM »

Not to swerve your thread too much but email and text to confirm availability are much better for me. Some days it can take me hours to find an opportunity to make an actual phone call...and by that time the gig is gone.
I'm good with the email. It can be easily archived.
Calls can be intrusive but sometimes it time better spent to get things worked out.
That said, I did find an app that will backup my texts to Gmail.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

James Feenstra

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »

And to be clear, I was not advocating that you raise rates, take the gig and let it wallow in excrement.  Rather raise rates to cover the additional work it creates for you, whether that is advancing with the client or production company; providing additional services like walk on music or playback equipment, etc.  Charge whatever amount it takes to let you do your part of the gig to the best of your ability.  If they don't want to pay that, fine.  If they do, they obviously feel that you're providing value for their money.

I've found that raising rates gets me more input on the design side and more respect from producers.  That may not apply in your situation, Keith, but if money can fix some/many of the issues you have with this producer I say take the cheque and step up to the task.  If more money cannot, "sorry but I'm already booked" will suffice.
+1 to this

I found when working as a freelancer that raising my price ended up getting rid of the clients who I didn't typically want to work for anyways, gave me more free time, and at the end of the day, I actually ended up making more money
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »

+1 to this

I found when working as a freelancer that raising my price ended up getting rid of the clients who I didn't typically want to work for anyways, gave me more free time, and at the end of the day, I actually ended up making more money

Same here. I got a couple of clients to move on by raising their price. Avoided the bridge burning and major conflict stuff. However, I have one client that is a pain due to lack of organization and unfortunately when I raised the price they said "that's fine, we can't find anyone else to work with us". Backfired. Maybe that's an indicator...

Another band we have worked with since I was a trunk slammer was becoming way more trouble than they were paying for, even after several price increases. There were several times when I almost burnt the bridge out of frustration. I'm regularly glad I did not though, as they got a friend of the band to start running sound but they still rent the main PA from us. Now we make rental money and still have a great relationship. I almost blew that up a few times after rough shows though...

To the Op, I think you just say, "I'm not going to be available for the next season, I am at capacity" or something like that.
I've had a couple of freelancers tell me that and I prefer that over continuing to contact them and waste both of our time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »

I agree and prefer email to keep track of things, but many of those 'text /FB messenger' millennials fall under the category of 'corporate event planners' now.... to stay relevant we need to communicate in a way our clients are comfortable.

To me, email is work and text is personal. But personal relationships are how service businesses are built.

I received a text from a number I didn't recognize pretty much saying 'need same as last time, can you do it? Mel"

I had no idea who Mel was, but I took a shot, replied and "Mel" said to remind them of my email address, I did, and they forwarded me "last time's" contract for reference..... then I knew who I was talking to.

It turned out "Mel" was the young assistant to a corporate event planner for a large corp event we provided for years ago - Mel had replaced her boss, liked us, and had I not replied I would have likely lost a very good repeat gig. When we met on site it was like we were old friends, which played well with the rest of their 'committee'

She reached out to me personally - If you don't communicate with your clients in the way they expect to, they may not call back.

James Feenstra

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 09:16:02 PM »

Same here. I got a couple of clients to move on by raising their price. Avoided the bridge burning and major conflict stuff. However, I have one client that is a pain due to lack of organization and unfortunately when I raised the price they said "that's fine, we can't find anyone else to work with us". Backfired. Maybe that's an indicator...

Another band we have worked with since I was a trunk slammer was becoming way more trouble than they were paying for, even after several price increases. There were several times when I almost burnt the bridge out of frustration. I'm regularly glad I did not though, as they got a friend of the band to start running sound but they still rent the main PA from us. Now we make rental money and still have a great relationship. I almost blew that up a few times after rough shows though...
if they're fine with the new raised price for that reason, keep raising the price if you really don't want to work with them. Gives you the ability to bring someone on to specifically deal with their disorganization and still service them until they really can't afford to keep working with you!
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 07:12:02 AM »

If you don't communicate with your clients in the way they expect to, they may not call back.
I can see a text as first contact but , as in your case, an email gives more detail and is easily archived for future reference.
I recently asked a client something and he said to check a text he sent...6 months ago! People keep texts that long!?
Also had a text "can you do XYZ on this date" and it was just a phone number. Had no idea who it was and it turned out the person I usually deal with got a new company phone.

As for the "raising price to get out of a gig" concept is you may end up still getting the gig anyway!
In my case, door is closed and I don't want any work at any price.
While I have adopted the "I'm already booked" response, I feel it's a tad dishonest.
 If someone stopped booking me, I would like to know why.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 07:12:02 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.