ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: thoughts on parting ways with client?  (Read 17494 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
thoughts on parting ways with client?
« on: April 10, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »

I work as a sub contractor with a local AV company once in a while.
The shows I have worked on are pretty much a complete PITA due to the lack of detailed info and producer....er.....um...how shall I put this?... "qualifications" ::)
Also, the provided equipment is not well maintained and I don't get competent help.
I just don't need the work bad enough to deal with the trouble these shows are. Maybe 20 years ago but not so much now.

So, the question  is, do I explain that I no longer want to accept and work or do I just become "unavailable" when contacted for work?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: thoughts on parting ways with client?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »

The shows I have worked on are pretty much a complete PITA due to the lack of detailed info and producer....er.....um...how shall I put this?... "qualifications" ::)
Also, the provided equipment is not well maintained and I don't get competent help.
I just don't need the work bad enough to deal with the trouble these shows are. Maybe 20 years ago but not so much now.

So, the question  is, do I explain that I no longer want to accept and work or do I just become "unavailable" when contacted for work?

Raise your day rate until it's commensurate with the PITA factor.  If they ask why you're charging more you can tell them it's to compensate you for the lack of professionalism on their part.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »

It's unclear to me if the issue is with the AV company or the AV company's client, but I would take Tim's tack, but maybe a little softer: "Dear XYZ, I want to inform you that for any future work, my fee will now include $XXX of project management services, which better reflects the amount of time I need to invest to make your event a success.  Please let me know if you have any questions."

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »

Charge what its worth to do the leg work required to bring their game up to snuff and let them know it.  Either you build yourself a better client or they do bad work with other people at the pointy end of their operations.  I'd be more concerned with being tarred with that brush in the end.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »

Hi Keith,

If you do decide to part ways with your current "client" send me a PM if you are looking for work after that. I'm in Toronto and work in AV.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »

Hi Keith,

If you do decide to part ways with your current "client" send me a PM if you are looking for work after that. I'm in Toronto and work in AV.
I will PM you Steve.

There is no way I'm going to take a chance they will just pay the fee and I'm not prepared to do the legwork anyway.
If there is one thing I have learned in 40+ years of this, it's when to step away.
Just considering the best way to say "good bye and thanks for all the fish"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:17:05 PM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

serena rockower

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »

I recently broke up with a client of 10 years, that always underpaid and wouldn't budge on a price increase.  I gave them plenty of notice and told them "due to personal circumstances I am no longer available to work with them", and recommended some other companies (that I know will be too expensive for them).  They don't need to know anything, except that you can't work with them anymore.  If they don't understand the value of the work you do after many years of providing quality work then you don't owe them any explanation.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:09:52 PM »

Unless you have a reason to burn bridges, it's usually wise to not do so.  While you don't need the work right now, what happens if situations change in your future?

Don't just suddenly become unavailable.  Tell them that you've currently got enough work, and are pulling back from the subcontracting thing due to that.  If they need you in the future, they are free to hire you at your regular market rate, with your own gear.

It's OK to stop offering services that are not profitable enough for you as you grow and move on.  Either the customer is willing to pay for the better level of service that you now provide, or they are not.  You can't continue to offer lower levels of clients as you continue to grow.
Brian Jojade

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »

Unless you have a reason to burn bridges, it's usually wise to not do so.  While you don't need the work right now, what happens if situations change in your future?

Don't just suddenly become unavailable.  Tell them that you've currently got enough work, and are pulling back from the subcontracting thing due to that.  If they need you in the future, they are free to hire you at your regular market rate, with your own gear.

It's OK to stop offering services that are not profitable enough for you as you grow and move on.  Either the customer is willing to pay for the better level of service that you now provide, or they are not.  You can't continue to offer lower levels of clients as you continue to grow.
Brian nailed it. Let them know now that things are doing great for you, and unless they're in a pickle, you'd like to be removed from the call sheet. "I don't anticipate having a lot of availability for you, so I'd prefer that your contractors who might be more available (and in need of the work!) be offered the gigs first."

I definitely don't think it should be readily disclosed that you're unhappy with their production management, level of preparedness, or quality of gear. Serena's comment of "due to personal circumstances" would make it clear that they're the circumstance, and that bridge is gonna catch fire. If they catch on that you're dissatisfied working for them (and I assume you've said something in the past) and then bad whisperings start circulating about them, you might be looked at as being the rumor-monger, and that won't help at all!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »

I will PM you Steve.

There is no way I'm going to take a chance they will just pay the fee and I'm not prepared to do the legwork anyway.
If there is one thing I have learned in 40+ years of this, it's when to step away.
Just considering the best way to say "good bye and thanks for all the fish"

No need to throw any stones Keith. Simply tell them you're not available when they call and let it go at that. Any other response may prompt a reaction painting you as the bad guy. You don't need that.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.