ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is 16 Guage Okay?  (Read 5182 times)

Richard_Blythe

Is 16 Guage Okay?
« on: April 09, 2017, 01:28:54 am »

I am ordering 5 Galaxy Powered PA6S Hotspot Monitors for our touring band.   We need individual monitor mixes sent to each player using Behringer P16 units.  The P16s will be all be daisy chained via Cat5 cable.   I would also like to daisy chain the powered hotspots from one outlet.  Because of our usual stage setup, I need the following lengths of electric cable: (4) 20ft,  (1) 50ft.   Currently, I've ordered these electric cords in 16 gauge but I'm worried that I may need to go with a thicker gauge if they're all daisy chained together.  My research has shown that a 16 gauge cord up to 100ft will handle 10 amps.  The Galaxy PA6S is rated at 170 watts.  :-\

How can I know if 16 gauge wire will handle 5 of these Galaxy hotspots?

Kevin Graf

Re: Is 16 Guage Okay?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 07:56:28 am »

About the Galaxy PA6S monitors:
a] Is the 170 watts, AC input power or effective speaker output power?
b] Do they have SMPS power supplies?
Speedskater

Richard_Blythe

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:06:30 am »

About the Galaxy PA6S monitors:
a] Is the 170 watts, AC input power or effective speaker output power?
b] Do they have SMPS power supplies?

I'm not sure. Here's the product info page:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PA6S
It says that it has a:  170-watt Class D amplifier for lighter weight

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:42:46 am »

I am ordering 5 Galaxy Powered PA6S Hotspot Monitors for our touring band.   We need individual monitor mixes sent to each player using Behringer P16 units.  The P16s will be all be daisy chained via Cat5 cable.   I would also like to daisy chain the powered hotspots from one outlet.  Because of our usual stage setup, I need the following lengths of electric cable: (4) 20ft,  (1) 50ft.   Currently, I've ordered these electric cords in 16 gauge but I'm worried that I may need to go with a thicker gauge if they're all daisy chained together.  My research has shown that a 16 gauge cord up to 100ft will handle 10 amps.  The Galaxy PA6S is rated at 170 watts.  :-\

It will be just fine-and you can add a good many more if needed.

Remember that the continuous/average power is much less than the maximum draw
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Richard_Blythe

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 01:49:08 pm »

Thank you so much for your reply.  For my peace of mind, how can I do some calculations to determine the required amps vs the amount of load that a 140ft length of 16 gauge wire can handle?  As I mentioned earlier, I intend to daisy chain (1) 50ft and (4) 20ft 16 gauge extension cords.  Thanks for your help!

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 02:17:15 pm »

From the perspective of loading and accumulated contact resistance is one concern but will it be legal to have 16 gauge power cable laying about on the stage floor with, presumably, less than type S insulation and protected by, presumably, a 15 Amp breaker; OCPD if you prefer?
Toodleoo!
Ron

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »

You need to run the voltage drop calculation.  I usually use an app on my phone from southwire but it only goes down to 12ga.

First, you need to know actual power draw for the box.  It's not the amplifier rating.  I did some digging and found a clear image of the back of the speaker which listed 250w.  That's roughly 2A.

Consider your first run is 50' and there's 10A of draw on that.  On a 120v line that puts you down to 115v - more than the 3% recommended by the nec.  I may be doing this wrong, but if you figure you've then got 115v going 20 ft with 8A that drops you a little over a bolt.  Repeat down to the last box and you're at 111v in a worst case max draw scenario.  If I'm doing the daisy chain calculation correctly.

If you're daisy chaining the pm16s then you need power for those too.  How do you know people won't want to plug more stuff into this conveniently run power source?  All that stuff is what's going to kill you.  You're going to be best off using proper 12ga soow or sjoow cable with good metal quad boxes and pass through.  Build 5 of them at 20' and a 30' straight through extension cord.  Then any cable can go at any position and your setup will be simpler.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 09:13:59 am »

From the perspective of loading and accumulated contact resistance is one concern but will it be legal to have 16 gauge power cable laying about on the stage floor with, presumably, less than type S insulation and protected by, presumably, a 15 Amp breaker; OCPD if you prefer?

16/3, type SO cable is actually available.  It's about the same overall size and weight as 14/3 SJ, so quite easy to handle and pack compared to all the other S cables.  I bought some years ago to supply power to a very small lighting rig (only 600W per tree).  It worked well for this, but it's really a special purpose cable that you wouldn't want to mix in with the rest of your power distribution.  Maybe use PowerCons and quad boxes so they can't get mixed up.

As for the current draw of the speakers, I suspect the average draw is far less than 2A.  My little ZXA1s, with an 800W amp inside, have a rated draw of less than an amp at 120V.

GTD

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:57:57 am »

I don't know what the actual current draw of the PA6S is, but I can't imagine it's anywhere close to 170w. The output rating of an amp is not the same as the input current.

How are you planning to daisy chain these? As far as I know, they don't have a power output, just the input. That's the way it is on the 8 that I have in my inventory anyway. I think you're going to need a stringer or long individual cables to power them.

Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Richard_Blythe

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 11:56:11 am »

Thanks to all of you who are responding.  I honestly don't know what to make of all the wide opinions regarding the 16ga wire.  By daisy chaining, I'm referring to a three way on the end of each extension cord, where each cord can connect to the other.  My ultimate goal is to combine my Cat5 cable and electric cord into a single sleeve for quicker gig setup and a cleaner stage look.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 11:56:11 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.