ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ITech HD 4x3500 boot loop  (Read 8230 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
ITech HD 4x3500 boot loop
« on: April 08, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »

Crown support isn't available until Monday, so I thought I'd see if anyone has seen this before. 

I have a new to me demo ITech HD 4x3500 that powers on, goes through part of the boot process, displays Firmware N/A, then reboots again.

I can get it to finish booting if I hold the menu button, and once in the menu I see that it's not holding its HiQ-net address - it switches to NA.

I have reset the amp via toothpick and it reloads its own firmware and boots and I was able to set the HiQ-net address from the screen, but after a while it reverts to NA

It's the only device on the network, and curiously I was able to reupdate the firmware via Audio Architect, but that didn't change any behavior.

Anyone seen something like this before?  I have other Itechs, but this is my first 4x3500.

Thanks

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: ITech HD 4x3500 boot loop
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:41:07 AM »

Only speculative, but sounds like the amp is "self-aware" on the network. 

Try adding/connecting the amp to an existing network and then set its address.  What happens?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:27:08 AM »

Add a DHCP server to the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »

Add a DHCP server to the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have one and it the amp has a DHCP address.  I haven't tried setting it static yet, I will do that soon.

To Bob - I initially added it to my other ITech network and used NetSetter to set HIQ-net address and verify network config, and the amp did this in that situation, too.

Thanks for the responses.  Any other ideas?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »

Does it hold the firmware update as long as the amp is powered? My guess is failing battery if so, no idea if not.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 09:50:16 PM »

Does it hold the firmware update as long as the amp is powered? My guess is failing battery if so, no idea if not.
I played with it some more - I'm pretty sure there's some problem with the NVRAM - nothing is saved, even while the amp is powered on.  I don't think there's a battery in these, but could be wrong.

I contacted Crown and will report what they say.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:03:13 AM »

I played with it some more - I'm pretty sure there's some problem with the NVRAM - nothing is saved, even while the amp is powered on.  I don't think there's a battery in these, but could be wrong.

I contacted Crown and will report what they say.
Confirmed there is no battery in these, and that mine needs a ride home.

Thanks for the ideas.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 10:26:47 AM »

Well, after two trips back and forth to Crown and several hours troubleshooting, I think I have discovered a firmware bug - the amp will not run on my show network of 192.168.80.0.  Any other subnet the amp works fine on, but when set to this network, the amp loses its brain and requires a rear panel reset button reset.

I did my testing with just a PC, network cable, and the amp during my last round of troubleshooting, so there are no external network factors. 

This is 100% reproducible - if I set the amp and PC to 192.168.80.something the amp dies.  If I reset then set the amp and PC to any other subnet, everything is fine.  This is my first IT4x3500, but I have several ITHD12000s that do not have this problem.

I've changed my show network to another range.

Well, that was fun.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »

Tom,
I'm sure you're not using x.x.x.0 as one of your static addresses. Could you provide more detail concerning the address and mask please. Also, what did you use for the amp HiQ address?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »

Tom,
I'm sure you're not using x.x.x.0 as one of your static addresses. Could you provide more detail concerning the address and mask please. Also, what did you use for the amp HiQ address?
Hey Bob, I believe I got to the root cause - the amp doesn't like 192.168.80.x.  I tried several fourth octet addresses; the problem is the 80 in the third octet.  Anything else works ok.  Didn't use .0, using 24 bit mask.

This is not just a connectivity problem; when the amp is in this network range it corrupts its memory and will not even finish booting correctly.  The problem doesn't resolve itself when the network cable is removed either, the amp needs to be factory reset by holding the reset button down.

I was testing with multiple scenarios.  This behavior holds true when connected to a router with DHCP server (my original configuration), as well as with just a direct network cable between amp and computer.  In all cases 192.168.80.x breaks, and 192.168.anything else.x works.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.