ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLP lightning 28sx projector- BNC inputs  (Read 3882 times)

Ben Lutz

DLP lightning 28sx projector- BNC inputs
« on: April 07, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »

I have a DLP lightning 28sx projector that has a bunch of BNC inputs, 3 Control inputs, and one VGA computer OUT.
I need to run qLab on a mac and have this projector act as a screen.
My mac has lightning out, HDMI out, and I have a lightning to VGA cable.
I tried hooking up an HDMI cable from the computer to a blackmagic design HDMI to SDI converter, then I went SDI out of that, and into input 5 (which I believe is the current source because of the blinking red light right next to it.
When plugged in, the projector displays "source not found".
Any ideas how I can get my computer to display images on this projector?
I'm not tied to one method, and am willing to purchase whatever components necessary, I just want it to work.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: DLP lightning 28sx projector- BNC inputs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »

I have a DLP lightning 28sx projector that has a bunch of BNC inputs, 3 Control inputs, and one VGA computer OUT.
I need to run qLab on a mac and have this projector act as a screen.
My mac has lightning out, HDMI out, and I have a lightning to VGA cable.
I tried hooking up an HDMI cable from the computer to a blackmagic design HDMI to SDI converter, then I went SDI out of that, and into input 5 (which I believe is the current source because of the blinking red light right next to it.
When plugged in, the projector displays "source not found".
Any ideas how I can get my computer to display images on this projector?
I'm not tied to one method, and am willing to purchase whatever components necessary, I just want it to work.
Lightning is the mobile cable.  Do you mean Thunderbolt?  Do you mean USB-C? Which Mac is it?

According to this sheet:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_spec_1771.pdf

the projector should at least have standard SDI input, and optionally HD-SDI.

What resolution are you sending it?  The spec sheet says 1280x1024 is the native.

Have you tried input 4?  Are you sure you're changing inputs on the projector correctly?

The 5 BNC cables can be adapted from VGA, but you have a bit of troubleshooting to go before you are at that point.

Ben Lutz

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »

Lightning is the mobile cable.  Do you mean Thunderbolt?  Do you mean USB-C? Which Mac is it?

I just looked, the port is "mini displayport", my bad.
I am using a Macbook pro 13" early 2015, running El Capitan.

I am unsure of the resolution, when I send HDMI out of mac, into the converter (nothing plugged into the projector) it gives me the screen attached saying "best HDMI". Am I missing the window that tells resolution?

I read about HDMI protection (HDCP), could this be a potential problem?

I tried input 4 yes, but I am not exactly sure of how to change sources. I am able to select different sources in the "input" tab of the menu, but this didn't give me any luck. What was confusing was that there each input also had an address?

Looking online, I couldn't find a manual anywhere to help guide me through the menus.

What troubleshooting do you suggest?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:42:08 PM by Ben Lutz »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »

I just looked, the port is "mini displayport", my bad.
I am using a Macbook pro 13" early 2015, running El Capitan.

I am unsure of the resolution, when I send HDMI out of mac, into the converter (nothing plugged into the projector) it gives me the screen attached saying "best HDMI". Am I missing the window that tells resolution?

I read about HDMI protection (HDCP), could this be a potential problem?

I tried input 4 yes, but I am not exactly sure of how to change sources. I am able to select different sources in the "input" tab of the menu, but this didn't give me any luck. What was confusing was that there each input also had an address?

Looking online, I couldn't find a manual anywhere to help guide me through the menus.

What troubleshooting do you suggest?
Try changing from "best..." to "scaled", and then select 1280x1024.

HDCP could be a problem, but usually you get signal for a couple seconds before it blacks out, and IIRC it still holds device sync.

I am unfamiliar with that projector so can't offer much specific help. 

The manual appears to be here.

Troubleshooting steps would include:

- Verifying that you get HDMI output on another device
- Verifying that you can get a supported resolution through your SDI converter from your Mac to another device (1280x1024 native, 1280x720 or 1366x720, 1600x1200, etc.)
- Push buttons on the projector until you figure out how to switch inputs and try both SDI inputs
- Try another SDI input device - camcorder, etc. to see if that works
- Try a VGA breakout cable like this one.

Arne Booij

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »

Hi Ben,

Looking through the specsheet I noticed the SDI input might be SMPTE 259M level C, which only supports a 720p at maximum unless it has been upgraded. You might want to try to send the BMD a 720x480@50hz resolution or even lower and see if that gets you any results.

I assume you have checked for full functionality of all cables, the BMD converter and the input board of the projector? (both digital and analog, they are separate feeds)

Ben Lutz

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »

Hi Ben,

Looking through the specsheet I noticed the SDI input might be SMPTE 259M level C, which only supports a 720p at maximum unless it has been upgraded. You might want to try to send the BMD a 720x480@50hz resolution or even lower and see if that gets you any results.

I assume you have checked for full functionality of all cables, the BMD converter and the input board of the projector? (both digital and analog, they are separate feeds)

Yes, I know the cables work, HDMI output works, the BMD converter works, but I am unsure of how to test the input board of the projector?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 07:38:24 PM »

Chances are there is an sdi resolution problem.  You can spend a fair amount of $$ trying to convert correctly or get a vga cable that breaks out to 5bnc. That's going to be your best bet. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Lutz

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »

After some monkeying around tonight, I reconfigured some of the settings and made "composite" the default input type. I also figured out how to force select an input (under menu, channels, select). I then connected a low end JVL camera with HDMI out into the BMD converter, then into input 5 at 480i. When the camera was setup to send 1080p, the projector did not recognize its source.

I could not achieve a hookup to the mac at the lowest resolution it would send to the BMD (720).
I could not achieve a hookup to my own PC sending the BMD converter a 640 x 480.

I will be purchasing a vga to 5 BNC breakout.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.