ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: GoPro recordings of live bands  (Read 10713 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: GoPro recordings of live bands
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 07:53:08 AM »

I am the accordion player in both Un Deux Trois and in SonoMusette (band in the video). Josh was the original bass player in Un Deux Trois. We started Un Deux Trois when he was 20. The woman playing the piano in the video replaced Josh when he moved down to Los Angeles. Besides piano, she also plays electric and upright bass. Josh has returned to Northern California and plays with Tempest.
The singer never played with Un Deux Trois. She was with the band Dgiin.
Here is a video of Josh with Un Deux Trois. Josh is a fantastic person as well as a great bass player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XonAleiM8c8

That's great, small world.  I was only having some fun with the word "chick" old farts syndrome.  She has a wonderful voice. 

I personally enjoy Tempest more than the Flogging Molly genre of Gaelic Rock and a fan.  Looking forward to seeing them on the 29th.

Thanks for responding.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 05:29:27 AM »

I managed to do my first multi track live recording today, which has given me much better sound to work with, for the most part.

I was hoping the vocal mics might have picked up a bit more of the drums, but it wasn't to be.
The only drum Mic I had up was in the kick, so I might need to look into some kind of overhead(s) to get a usable drum sound

My Gopro mounted on the foh-r stand gave some ok footage, but useless audio. Lots of clipping and popping. I really need to get the camera out in front of the band.

Thanks for all the insight and video links, I'm learning heaps and have made great progress already with the gear I have available.

Hopefully at next Sunday's gig I'll get something worth posting.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 07:16:56 AM »

I managed to do my first multi track live recording today, which has given me much better sound to work with, for the most part.

I was hoping the vocal mics might have picked up a bit more of the drums, but it wasn't to be.
The only drum Mic I had up was in the kick, so I might need to look into some kind of overhead(s) to get a usable drum sound

Try throwing some compression on all the mics that might pick up the drum kit. That might just be enough to increase the low-level stuff (drums) while allowing you to hear whatever was being mic'd.

If possible, I'd recommend using a pair of overheads. Having the option for stereo later is nice.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »

My Gopro mounted on the foh-r stand gave some ok footage, but useless audio. Lots of clipping and popping. I really need to get the camera out in front of the band.

Thanks for all the insight and video links, I'm learning heaps and have made great progress already with the gear I have available.

Hopefully at next Sunday's gig I'll get something worth posting.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Since you don't need it in the room mix, you can be creative with your drum mics. I've had success with two SDC mics supplementing the kick. above and behind the drummer's ears aimed down into the gap between floor and rack tom. I take the second mic, place it on a floor stand aimed up at the OH. Flip the phase on one, and you get a nice drum sound. Embrace the bleed and add other instruments to taste.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 12:12:57 AM »

We use a combination of Gopros and iphone 6. The gopro have good image stablization and we generally clamp them to PA stands without much video distortion. The iphones tend vibrate with the kick drum if they are anywhere near the stage. We also clamp these cameras to ceiling tiles, mic stands or whatever crap is in the venue. We employ a nice selection of clamps and goosenecks all availble on Amazon at very low cost. While a nice video can be made with one angle, multiple angles make a video much more interesting. But, its a PITA to setup and you need to have someone who enjoys editing video (we do).

Audio is the Achilles heel of the whole deal. GoPros can handle the high SPL but will usually give a bad balance. iphones are clipping city (but have outstanding video quality). I have direct outs on our mixer being sent to a multichannel Zoom recorder and do a mix in post. I also place a Zoom H4n out front for ambiance and stereo image. Also picks up the cymbals, snare and other unmiced drum kit pieces. I have found this stereo recording alone is not suitable (for my taste) for direct use over a video for three reasons: 1) again, balance sucks. It will be kit heavy and/or vocal light depending on placement wrt PA and 2) if its not right near the band, you will get drunks yelling as your primary audio and 3) you are likely to get nasty filtering due to random placement in the room.

If you don't want to deal with the multitrack deal, a stereo recorder will probably be better than the gopro audio, but you will have to experiment with placement. Before I did the multitrack deal, I would try mixing the gopro audio with the zoom which was usually better than one or the other is I could achieve a better balance (but introduced phase issues).

Anyway, that's been my experience. YMMV.

Trevor Jalla

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »

Here's my 6pc shot with a zoom Q3HD, mounted right on subwoofer stage right. Audio set to auto input levelling, and there was no clipping. Was at moderate club volumes, but certainly not a slamming rock show.

Mix was a HPF on Zoom mics, a LR desk feed with the low shelf boost, plus a parallel compressed LR desk feed with a high shelf boost (from memory) - all in GarageBand. Turned out decent considering the low effort that went into recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNp4BsCSeDQ

Terry Martin

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 06:46:36 PM »

I use a GoPro quite a bit to capture footage - sometimes, I use a Sony HD cam out front (cheap one). 

Here are a couple links of what I've done.

This is GoPro mounted to truss....
https://youtu.be/N9QjdDAj-Og

GoPro mounted to pipe out front / stage left
https://youtu.be/bhTCiyffEVs

Combination Sony HD cam with GoPro cam (I suck at video editing!  LOL)
https://youtu.be/3Q-c4Ewkxec

All audio is being recorded from the camera themselves (except the last one, it was the Sony camera, not GoPro).

Steve Garris

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »

Here's my 6pc shot with a zoom Q3HD, mounted right on subwoofer stage right. Audio set to auto input levelling, and there was no clipping. Was at moderate club volumes, but certainly not a slamming rock show.

Mix was a HPF on Zoom mics, a LR desk feed with the low shelf boost, plus a parallel compressed LR desk feed with a high shelf boost (from memory) - all in GarageBand. Turned out decent considering the low effort that went into recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNp4BsCSeDQ

Nice - sounds great! Love your JT vid's too.

Trevor Jalla

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 04:22:15 AM »

Nice - sounds great! Love your JT vid's too.

Thanks Steve. The JT tribute vids were recorded multi-track, and while they came up better, I was pleased with how my Zoom + desk feed stacks up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 04:22:15 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.