ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intercom....  (Read 3832 times)

Al Rettich

Intercom....
« on: April 04, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »

Will a Technical Projects beltpack work with a RTS intercom system?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Intercom....
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »

RTS has more than one wiring standard. All the TP stuff I've seen is wired Clear-Com standard (Pin 1 common, Pin 2 Power, Pin 3 Audio/Signal).
RTS TW (2-wire) may work with Clear-Com TW systems, but only channel 2 will function. RTS TW wiring is (Pin 1 common, Pin 2 Power & Channel 1 Audio/Signal, Pin 3 Power & Channel 2 Audio/Signal)
RTS TW stuff is usually 2-channel over 3-pin XLR.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »

Will a Technical Projects beltpack work with a RTS intercom system?

A single channel TP pack will appear on channel 2 of an RTS system.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »

RTS has more than one wiring standard. All the TP stuff I've seen is wired Clear-Com standard (Pin 1 common, Pin 2 Power, Pin 3 Audio/Signal).
RTS TW (2-wire) may work with Clear-Com TW systems, but only channel 2 will function. RTS TW wiring is (Pin 1 common, Pin 2 Power & Channel 1 Audio/Signal, Pin 3 Power & Channel 2 Audio/Signal)
RTS TW stuff is usually 2-channel over 3-pin XLR.

Okay, i'm being pedantic, but just to make sure we don't contribute to what is already a pretty confusing topic....

Clearcom refers to their "2 channels on 1 XLR cable" protocol as "TW".  This is not the same as "2-wire" which is a generic way to refer to Full Duplex Intercom that travels on only 2 conductors [that is, 1 XLR cable].  "2-wire" is a term used to differentiate from "4-wire" which is essentially duplex intercom utilizing 2 separate line level signals, 1 running in each direction.

Single channel Clearcom [1 channel of intercom running over 1 XLR cable] is basically the Clearcom default.  So typically when someone refers to a Clearcom intercom line, this is the form of intercom they are referring to.  Also typically, most manufacturers who say their equipment is "Clearcom Compatible" are referring to this form of intercom.

RTS, on the other hand, is typically 2 channels of intercom over 1 XLR cable.  So typically when someone refers to an RTS intercom line they are referring to this form of intercom.

There is functionally very little difference between standard 2-channel RTS and Clearcom TW signals.  The primary differences are in the nominal levels used as well as the system used to generate call signals.  That being said, the 2 types of intercom can often be used together with very few issues.  In fact, the newest Clearcom TW beltpacks can be converted to run as RTS beltpacks with a simple DIP switch change.

As a result, what Mac says is correct for connecting a "Clearcom" device with an RTS device.  The "Clearcom" signal will appear on Channel 2 of the RTS device.  This is also true when connecting "Clearcom" devices with "Clearcom TW" devices.

And yeah, i'm totally leaving out Telex Balanced Comms among other things.  And we haven't even thought about Digital, and Matrix, and Intercom over IP...  :)

Comms are fun!

[For those who know things... Please note my liberal use of the words "typically" and "primary".  I'm well aware that they are Many Exceptions...]
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »

Okay, i'm being pedantic, but just to make sure we don't contribute to what is already a pretty confusing topic....

Confusing? Is that a bad thing? I've got 12 days of work doing comms right now. 18 KP32 panels outside the truck, about 25 inside the truck, 36 drops of RF comm, and about 20 RTS BP325 belt packs. You can see the result on NBC at 11:35pm or live at Universal Orlando this week.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »

Confusing? Is that a bad thing? I've got 12 days of work doing comms right now. 18 KP32 panels outside the truck, about 25 inside the truck, 36 drops of RF comm, and about 20 RTS BP325 belt packs. You can see the result on NBC at 11:35pm or live at Universal Orlando this week.

Mac

I too make a good bit of my living from the convoluted world that is Comms.  So yeah, i see your point.

I feel like IT and Networking often takes the same approach.  "We could make this easy and have it always work, but then anyone would be able to do it.  And then we wouldn't be able to justify charging you so much money"....  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.