ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Helixnet 3.0/Tempest to house RTS system  (Read 2899 times)

Mike Kahrs

Helixnet 3.0/Tempest to house RTS system
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »

This week I am patching and configuring a PL system consisting of either one or two Helixnet base units plus a Tempest base station that my employer is providing, to a house RTS two-wire system of unknown configuration.  The Helixnet unit in the comms rack has a four-wire module to connect to the Tempest via four-wire, an Ethernet module for show control and to network with other Helixnet base units, and a two-wire module to connect to the 2W world.

Questions:
If I get only one Helixnet unit, the one in the comms rack, then with one two-wire module I will be able to bring in two channels of the house RTS system, via a SAP hopefully. I can't remember if the 2W module's XLRs are parallel or individually "addressable" and the manual isn't clear on that point.

However, if the camera CCU rack has an additional Helixnet base, loaded with the same type modules, I would be able to bring in two additional and different RTS channels which would then be available to both (networked) Helixnet bases and all Helixnet packs, right?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:21:40 PM by Mike Kahrs »
Why know when you can guess...

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Helixnet 3.0/Tempest to house RTS system
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »

This week I am patching and configuring a PL system consisting of either one or two Helixnet base units plus a Tempest base station that my employer is providing, to a house RTS two-wire system of unknown configuration.  The Helixnet unit in the comms rack has a four-wire module to connect to the Tempest via four-wire, an Ethernet module for show control and to network with other Helixnet base units, and a two-wire module to connect to the 3W world.

Questions:
If I get only one Helixnet unit, the one in the comms rack, then with one two-wire module I will be able to bring in two channels of the house RTS system, via a SAP hopefully. I can't remember if the 2W module's XLRs are parallel or individually "addressable" and the manual isn't clear on that point.

In RTS Mode the 2 channels come in on both connectors paralleled connector.  in Clear-com mode each connector is 1 channel.

However, if the camera CCU rack has an additional Helixnet base, loaded with the same type modules, I would be able to bring in two additional and different RTS channels which would then be available to both (networked) Helixnet bases and all Helixnet packs, right?

The bases connect via ethernet or fiber and become one unit which has access to any module in any base so, yes you can interconnect a 2 wire at one and a 2wire at the other.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:33:52 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Mike Kahrs

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:24:51 PM »

>>In RTS Mode the 2 channels come in on both connectors paralleled connector.  in Clear-com mode each connector is 1 channel.

Good to know.

>>The bases connect via ethernet or fiber and become one unit which has access to any module in any base so, yes you can interconnect a 2 wire at one and a 2wire at the other.

Excellent.  Easier than moving modules around.

And, each of the 2W modules must see power from the RTS side, correct?  Hope there's a SAP and it's accessible.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:05:16 PM »

>>In RTS Mode the 2 channels come in on both connectors paralleled connector.  in Clear-com mode each connector is 1 channel.

Good to know.

>>The bases connect via ethernet or fiber and become one unit which has access to any module in any base so, yes you can interconnect a 2 wire at one and a 2wire at the other.

Excellent.  Easier than moving modules around.

And, each of the 2W modules must see power from the RTS side, correct?  Hope there's a SAP and it's accessible.

Not sure if they NEED to see power.  My guess is not.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Mike Kahrs

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:26:41 PM »

Not sure if they NEED to see power.  My guess is not.

If I have the presence of mind to remember, I'll put a McCarthy Iso box inline, and report back.  Manual states the modules need DC from the RTS side, and the Helixnet base looks like an unpowered station to the RTS side.

Learned a few tricks re: v3.0 from your video - thanks.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:52:53 PM »

If I have the presence of mind to remember, I'll put a McCarthy Iso box inline, and report back.  Manual states the modules need DC from the RTS side, and the Helixnet base looks like an unpowered station to the RTS side.

Thank you--I realized I never covered the module side of it in the video.  Also I have experienced some difficulty in linking the bases and using the non powered bases as expansion modules.  I eventually got all connected but should do a video if that process.

There are a lot of Clear-com videos by Steven Sevanyu on Youtube which cover every process.  Some are promotional but if you look they have instructional as well like this

HelixNet Partyline with Network Linking Overview 2013

I apologize - even though this video purports to explain linking, it does not.  There is still a need for me to do it.....

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:00:08 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »

This actually kinda makes sense to me as otherwise the module's 2W comms circuit would have to be powered by the slot, which would likely not have the typical Comms DC voltage available.

IIRC, that's how the HME DX210 and the Tempest work.  If the incoming line isn't powered, it no talkie...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.