ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid Level consoles???  (Read 8518 times)

Al Rettich

Mid Level consoles???
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:09:50 AM »

Has anyone heard of any new mid level consoles coming out? I'm talking about the Avid SC 48 / Midas Pro 2 size..

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
Re: Mid Level consoles???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »

Has anyone heard of any new mid level consoles coming out? I'm talking about the Avid SC 48 / Midas Pro 2 size..

Rumors of the Midas Heritage D.  Digico SD12 just came out - not sure if that fits your definition of mid-level with a price for the SD12/case/D2/snake hitting just north of $40k.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:37:57 AM »

Rumors of the Midas Heritage D.  Digico SD12 just came out - not sure if that fits your definition of mid-level with a price for the SD12/case/D2/snake hitting just north of $40k.

Here's a sneak peek of the Heritage D

https://www.gearnews.com/midas-heritage-d-96-photo-leak-new-x32-pro-series/

Peter Morris

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »

At the moment I think there are a couple of interesting consoles that have just been released. The SD12 that Steve mentioned and the S31, the Allen Heath Dlive S & C series and potentially the Heritage D from Behringer / Midas that John mentioned.

•   DLive – 128 in 64 out, 96K. There are various racks and surfaces to suit your needs and budget
•   SD12 - 72in, 36 out, 96/48K
•   S31 – 40in, 16 Aux 96K
•   Hertiage D – I suspect this (if it eventuates) will fit where the Pro2 currently sits just leaving the ProX in the top spot.  I would also not be surprised to see a 96K version of the M32 also released.

I have the Allen and Heath dLive 5000 configured as 96in and 48 out, its fantastic, great UI lots of features and the sound quality is stunning.
   `
I’m sure all of these new consoles will offer similar performance and features relative to their price.  In terms of price I suspect the Heritage D will be the cheapest but offer the least performance.

What interesting with this level of console now is that there is almost nothing they can’t do. The Dlive for example is more powerful than a Midas XL8; there are very few shows that won’t easily fit into the SD12 or Dlive and if needed the Dlive can accommodate something like 800 inputs on the network …

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:10:07 AM by Peter Morris »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:06:20 PM »

At the moment I think there are a couple of interesting consoles that have just been released. The SD12 that Steve mentioned and the S31, the Allen Heath Dlive S &C series and potentially the Heritage D from Behringer / Midas that John mentioned.

What interesting with this level of console now is that there is almost nothing they can’t do any more. The Dlive for example is more powerful than a Midas XL8; there are very few shows that won’t easily fit into the SD12 or Dlive and if needed the Dlive can accommodate something like 800 inputs on the network …
Peter,

Having attended the XL8 debut in Albuquerque in 2006 (the purple XL8 backpack is still very much in use :^) ) but finding the half million dollar price point for a pair a bit out of reach, it is interesting to see the commodification of digital desks with good audio evening out on the playing field.

It was interesting to see Midas "absorbed" by Behringer shortly after, but a far better option than the Telex and Bosch takeovers prior, at times I am amazed to find there are still any tears left to cry.

Matt Larson, who was nice enough to let me back in with the "big boys" and see the XL8 visible in the full sun of the high desert moved on to DiGiCo, they also have some excellent product in the "Mid Level Console" range- though "Mid level" is perhaps the most elusive range, we can all agree that 1000Hz is right in the "mid-range" of the audio spectrum, when it comes to $$$, the variance can be 6-10 dB with a shake of the head, hand or some dick-head that has control of the money.

Cheers,

Art

Roland Clarke

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 04:08:57 AM »

The mid range market is a strange one these days.  Usually a lot of people are doing the "know what, I can work with a Behringer x32. Soundcraft si, Yamaha", thing or if the requirements or budget allow, in the higher end stuff.  In saying that, Digico have products at this level, Yamaha, Midas and of course the D live.  Someone was mentioning the Midas Heritage at $40,000 which I suggest is too expensive to class as "mid price".

I think it's a difficult area for manufacturers and some would describe their mid range products as "high end", in the next 2/3 years as manufacturers find out how much the clients are prepared to spend prices will become more defined as will other midrange products..

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 04:51:35 AM »

After the Core2-update buying a new mid-range console became more difficult.
My 10 year old SD8 handles all the input and output I've ever had the need for and you can find one used for less than some of the new offerings.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 05:16:56 AM »

After the Core2-update buying a new mid-range console became more difficult.
My 10 year old SD8 handles all the input and output I've ever had the need for and you can find one used for less than some of the new offerings.

Agreed, absolutely.

What people still seem to have a problem getting their head round is the sheer computing power we have on offer today.

The new Samsung Galaxy phone is designed to be docked and used with a keyboard, mouse and monitor.  Far more power than most people will ever need to view video, photographs, surf the web.

The real difference between any of our non budget consoles is mostly hardware.  Even there you can build exceptional quality pre's for low money if you know what you are doing and high quality ad/da is as cheap as chips (if you excuse the pun), using the latest generation of src devices.  The rest is just ergonomics.  The software developement obviously costs, but look at even the real high end, potentially you can run any of the high end consoles from a laptop with the interface.  Then all you need is a controller and sensibly designed this doesn't need to be a huge cost.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 08:50:21 AM »

Someone was mentioning the Midas Heritage at $40,000 which I suggest is too expensive to class as "mid price".

My rep told me the Heritage D will be priced between the M32 and the Pro2.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Aisle 6

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »

The A&H d-live blurs the line between mid level and high end.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.