ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound activated method that works  (Read 10423 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Sound activated method that works
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 04:49:28 PM »

The Obey controller I've used with one band I run sound for has a 1/4" input for sound active mode. I feed it with an aux send from the mixer that only contains the kick drum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which Obey controller is it?

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 05:59:04 PM »

Which Obey controller is it?
Oops, my mistake. It's the Chauvet Stage Designer 50.

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 12:45:10 PM »

Oops, my mistake. It's the Chauvet Stage Designer 50.

Good to know. I have a spread sheet and only noted there was an input, so now I added that it's 1/4".

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »

May or may not be helpful, but in my band playing days I used an Obey 40 to run a few strip-LED type fixtures over DMX, taking a midi control change signal from my guitar pedalboard (tc electronics) so that as I changed patches, the lights changed scenes.   I had a lot of programs in my board for various songs, so I could pick a "look" that went with that particular part of each song.  It was as on-beat as my toe-tapping effects changes allowed, and we were pretty tight in our heyday so it worked well enough for small gigs (bigger gigs the fixtures just didn't keep up, and we had a lighting tech for those).

My drummer and I often talked about expanding this concept with some form of drum trigger in his kick drum for additional input.  It's easy to generate a midi signal from a trigger, and the Obey 40 was pretty inexpensive.  It's been many years, but I seem to recall there were midi devices that would generate a tempo command based on a "tap tempo" type of input, which is what we wanted to do since our songs changed time signatures too often/didn't play to a click so sometimes the pre-programmed tempo of the lighting scene wasn't quite on par (although some of the scenes made a good "silent" click track sometimes).  This is where I think it might expand to something more useful to you, I just can't remember the names of any of the devices we were looking into and it never came to fruition (like our third album).

In our application, we owned the lights as a band and the drummer hand built his drums, so it would have been easy to integrate trigger in the kick with a midi connection on the shell.  Not so much for the sound provider side, but I see no reason you couldn't use a similar concept using an audio source as a trigger like Andrew suggested if your board allows it, but the midi workaround for me worked very well and midi gadgets are relatively compact and inexpensive (i'd wager cheaper than any software/computer setup if you're not already bringing that out). Perhaps there's something out there that can take an audio input and generate a midi tempo?  Then it would just be a feed from the board or a Y cable on the kick mic or something simple.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.