ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stupid smaart question...  (Read 3897 times)

Mark Wilkinson

stupid smaart question...
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »

I forgot, or never learned, how to invert phase polarity on a captured transfer file.
I know how to go to Info clicking on the file and "invert" the magnitude for eq work, but that doesn't effect phase. 
Is there a way to invert polarity, or bump a phase trace up/down (180 deg) ?

thx,  mark

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: stupid smaart question...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:44:10 PM »

I forgot, or never learned, how to invert phase polarity on a captured transfer file.
I know how to go to Info clicking on the file and "invert" the magnitude for eq work, but that doesn't effect phase. 

thx,  mark
This doesn't answer your question, but if the reason for the question was that the phase was around the top/bottom of the screen, you can either unwrap the phase.

What I like to do is to simply invert the signal somewhere.

That will bring the phase trace to the middle of the screen.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:58:43 AM »

thx,  mark

Hi Mark,

If you select the phase trace plot by clicking anywhere in the plot, you can use the up and down arrows on your keyboard to cycle through the Y-axis.

Regards,

Merlijn

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:48:46 AM »

Thanks Ivan, Merlijn,

The reason for wanting to invert the polarity, is to compare previously stored traces directly on top of each other.
Whenever I've made sub measurements where all i was doing was measuring the sub, I've never cared about polarity...I mean, 0 or 180 ...what's the diff in seeing what phase looks like..

But now, trying to compare past captures, I wish I'd bothered to stay consistent.
For instance, I'm trying to inspect a bass reflex phase trace taken pol+, to a FLH taken pol-.

When I click a phase trace and use the up/dn arrows, the entire graph moves with no change in the trace positions relative to Y-axis scale (or each other).
So I'm still left wondering how to either bump a trace up or down, or invert one....

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »

I don't have the program in front of me but I believe there is a display "offset" on one of the parameter screens.

I may be confusing smaart with one of the other 4 measurement/graphing programs I use regularly, but I believe that's the function.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »

I don't have the program in front of me but I believe there is a display "offset" on one of the parameter screens.

I may be confusing smaart with one of the other 4 measurement/graphing programs I use regularly, but I believe that's the function.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thx Jay, that's what I thought I might be missing....but if it's there I still can't find it...puzzling really, something so relatively simple...

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »

Thx Jay, that's what I thought I might be missing....but if it's there I still can't find it...puzzling really, something so relatively simple...

Well, for followup..........it turns out swapping polarity on saved transfers can't be done in smaart.....per the good folks at RA.

Where I saved an impulse at the same time transfer was saved, I can export the impulse as a wav into REW or HOLM....which allow inversion.
gonna be more careful with transfers from now on.....

(Reason for all this......working on how effectively phase of different type subs, co-located, can be pulled together w processing....)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.