ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX815XLFW vs RCF SUB705-AS-MKII  (Read 7482 times)

Josh Dunaway

JBL PRX815XLFW vs RCF SUB705-AS-MKII
« on: January 16, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »

I am looking into buying a couple smaller light weight subs (that still pack a punch) for smaller events- IE wedding reception, small bar live band shows with 50-100ppl target.  I had 2 EV ZXA1 subs and they weren't quite enough.  I usually run KW181s but carrying them upstairs for 50-100ppl for a couple hundred dollars is getting old.

The main 2 on my radar are the JBL PRX815XLFW & RCF SUB705-AS-MKII.  The specs are nearly identical on both.  I tried the Evox 8 system for this reason before, I loved everything about it but the bass (which to me was lacking) I am considering the Evox 12 system of anyone has experience with it?  I don't rent my gear out, so I'm not concerned with it being RCF or JBL for the name.  My whole rig right now is QSC K & KW series gear, but I am am looking at expanding the opposite direction as well in the near future to include some RCF HDL-20A's for larger events.

Trevor Jalla

Re: JBL PRX815XLFW vs RCF SUB705-AS-MKII
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »

Is the PRX 800 series wifi access important to you? If not, the 700 series has been discontinued and you might find a deal on a 715XLF.

I have the 718XLFs, but similarly I picked up a dB Tech Opera Sub15 for small events. No experience with the RCF 705, but I did have a pair of 905s (good, even if a bit one-notey) before moving up to the 718s which are much flatter and extended.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:43:44 PM »

For practical purposes it's really a push. If you're interested in an EVOX 12 down the line, then I'd go with the RCF. If ever wanted to double up the subs they are close enough cosmetically that nobody would likely notice they aren't the same. I'd also guess they'd play well together.

I currently use PRX718XLF with a RCF 745A on top. I also ran RCF subs for several years as my main subs and within the last year bought a pair of RCF 702AS II for the same small gig reason. They work great for out of town wedding receptions when we all travel together and space is at a premium in the trailer.  Added versatility is that  they are so small that they don't look stupid when clustered on the floor with no stage. When on their sides are barely taller than the floor monitors. The downside is they are so small and light that our "monitor" speaker (RCF 310A) is the largest thing you can put on it safely, and even then it has to stay a bit lower than I'd like. For that reason I almost always put them on skirted stands.

I realize you probably aren't looking to go that small with the subs, but they've been handy. I actually bought them after looking hard at the EVOX 12, but rationalized a lack of flexibility of not really being able to use the subs or tops with anything else. I had 2 full sets of FBT Vertus systems for a few years and they just weren't versatile enough.

Comparing the 2 brands by construction and finish, I preferred the RCF. The finish of the JBL's seems to chip fairly easily and just don't feel as substantial as the RCF.

GregBass

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »

I'm looking at the same subs for the same reasons.  Under 60lbs. Easily transportable for small events.  May purchase up to four.

The EV EKX15sp is also on my list.  No HP output on the EV but it does have a cardioid setting.

I had one 715XLF but the fan was so bloody loud!  I've heard they corrected this on the new 800's

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »

I'm looking at the same subs for the same reasons.  Under 60lbs. Easily transportable for small events.  May purchase up to four.

The EV EKX15sp is also on my list.  No HP output on the EV but it does have a cardioid setting.

I had one 715XLF but the fan was so bloody loud!  I've heard they corrected this on the new 800's

There's no 15" sub in the JBL 800 series though so that's out. The RCF 705-AS should do a good job for you. It's about as light as you can expect from a 15" sub of any quality and "probably" still heavy enough to act as a solid base for a top box. That's the thing.... you don't want the sub to be too small and too light or it becomes a liability safety wise. My little 702-AS are an example of that. It's really not wise to put anything over them as they just aren't stable enough. One good push and they'll go over.

GregBass

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:37:04 PM »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:24:43 PM »

I only sold my PRX715xlf's a couple months back and only because they didn't get used as much  as my 718's. And I can't afford to keep stuff unused.  They were great for the size as I am sure the 800 series equivalents would be too.  Nice tight kick sound but very good low extension considering. Light enough for one person ( even me) and small... highly recommended!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jon Goad

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »

I was in the same boat and finally settled on a pair of EV EKX-15SP's to go with my RCF HD12A tops. I just couldn't find any reviews on the 705 AS MKII's to make me comfortable buying them (I later found some good reviews on the Thomann site, but you'll have to use Google Translate to read them).

The EV's are supposed to do 133 dB's while both the RCF's and JBL's are 131 dB, if memory serves. They're small and light for a sub, but still heavy enough to support the HD12A's. I haven't had the opportunity to use them on a gig yet, but from just playing some MP3's and CD's through them, the EV's (along with the HD12A's) will get uncomfortably loud indoors without me pushing them very hard at all.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.