ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weatherproof Outlet?  (Read 7646 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Weatherproof Outlet?
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »

Yes, if you need to fit a wall-wart transformer into a weatherproof cover receptacle, there's only one logical way...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:59:20 PM by Mike Sokol »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Weatherproof Oulet?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »

And we are to presume that duplex outlet is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:08:39 PM »

And we are to presume that duplex outlet is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker?

Oh, of course!!!  ;)

Mike Sokol

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »

This is located right outside of a modern church next to their outside fountain. I think the wart powered some 12 volt lights around the exterior of the water display. So wet ground, maybe no GFCI, and an interior grade duplex receptacle with a non-watertight 12 volt transformer that could be soaked by the rain. What could possibly go wrong?

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:26:30 PM »

Yes, if you need to fit a wall-wart transformer into a weatherproof cover receptacle, there's only one logical way...

Search for "While in use"  covers

https://www.zoro.com/taymac-while-in-use-weatherproof-cover-clear-mm7440c/i/G5210721/?gclid=CMqVxZWF-NICFYiKswod3aMHzQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:49:07 AM »

Search for "While in use"  covers

Looks to me like it HAD such a cover, but the cover was broken off because the wall wart didn't fit under it. Or because it was hanging open because the wall wart didn't fit, and got broken when someone or something was moved past it.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 06:41:42 AM »

Looks to me like it HAD such a cover, but the cover was broken off because the wall wart didn't fit under it. Or because it was hanging open because the wall wart didn't fit, and got broken when someone or something was moved past it.
Yes, that's exactly how I read it.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:33:45 PM »

The cast aluminum/zinc ones are a lot more durable-cost about double, but one replacement and you're money ahead.  Even plastic ones now have to be rated "extra duty"-the original ones were just too flimsy.  They were good for inspections, but that was about it.
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 03:41:25 PM »

The cast aluminum/zinc ones are a lot more durable-cost about double, but one replacement and you're money ahead.  Even plastic ones now have to be rated "extra duty"-the original ones were just too flimsy.  They were good for inspections, but that was about it.

I know of a few cases where the in-use cover was in place long enough for the inspection, then swapped out for an old-style weathertight cover afterwards.

So many people hate the in-use covers, especially when they protrude into a walkway. The covers can be difficult to open if you're not used to them. Getting a heavy cord to fit in them with the cover closed is a challenge (they seem to be designed with orange cords in mind). Homeowners think they look like an ugly wart on the front of the house.

But, yeah, I prefer the cast ones. They seem to last longer, but they're still not particularly impact resistant.

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 03:53:43 PM »

I like this one or this one. Steel, rather than cast aluminum. Plenty of space in the enclosure for wiring. Solidly attached cover that doesn't bind.

Even though the Home Depot page says "GE" they are made by Midwest Electric. Also available in gray (but maybe not from HD). Still doesn't solve the ugly-wart-on-the-front-of-the-house problem, though.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 07:31:47 PM »

Lemme guess...
Lemme at 'em!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »

These wouldn't work on a pole or in all situations-but these are my go to for new construction-or in some case old work:

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/inbox/low-profile-in-box-for-flat-surface-retrofit-construction/

The sit essentially flush with siding/finished surface.  Arliington makes several different styles.
Steve Swaffer

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »

Still doesn't solve the ugly-wart-on-the-front-of-the-house problem, though.

to solve the ugly, how about the box shown, with a cord going to a line lump installed in a NEMA box next to or under the outlet box.
https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industries-NBF-32016-Plastic-Economy/dp/B005UPANU2/ref=pd_lpo_328_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=475BQD5SB5N87RGP81XT
Not to Code

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »

Or this one

https://www.hubbell-rtb.com/new_pdf/TM-006%20for%20web.pdf

This works well.  I just installed 2 before the Winter season; 1 on the house and 1 out in my wife's Greenhouse.  Originally tried some HD stuff that, as expected, failed in usage within a month.   
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.