ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3pin or 5pin DMX install?  (Read 14850 times)

Chris Pflieger

Re: 3pin or 5pin DMX install?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM »

With the direction that lighting control (and everything else digital) is proceeding, I would put in a run of Cat6 along with the DMX run.  That way your will be ready for ART Net or whatever the "next big thing" is.  Its cheap and easy at this point. 

Of course it you do that, then the "next big thing" will probably be optical or who knows what.  Standards change.

There's no reason you can't just run Cat6 and terminate it with XLR connectors.
https://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Articles/DMX-Over-Cat5.aspx

For architectural controls, we run Cat5/6 at speeds slightly slower than DMX-512 using the RS-485 physical layer.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »

Idiots are everywhere and often self-identify as geniuses.

Why not just have one 5 to 3 adaptor at the wallplate then 3 pin cable for the rest?

Hmm, good point that I hadn't considered.

Still, why are people plugging mics into the walls labeled DMX/lights and not the floor pockets/mixer/dropsnake?
Also, if the adapter is plugged in (constantly) why wouldn't someone just plug into the adapter (we've established that the personnel using this venue are idiots)?
Then what happens when you loose the 5-pin adapter?

With the direction that lighting control (and everything else digital) is proceeding, I would put in a run of Cat6 along with the DMX run.  That way your will be ready for ART Net or whatever the "next big thing" is.  Its cheap and easy at this point. 

Of course it you do that, then the "next big thing" will probably be optical or who knows what.  Standards change. 

Same as Chris, I'd run Cat5e shielded stranded and be done with it. Put xlr's on the end (or wall plates) for now; but the venue is fully ready to go to whatever the next thing is. If you need an artnet node somewhere, convert to rj45 connectors; done.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »

Also, the pins on the 5-pin are WAY more delicate, so if random people are going to use it, go 3-pin.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »

Also, the pins on the 5-pin are WAY more delicate, so if random people are going to use it, go 3-pin.

Is that really a concern on non-shitty connectors?

I toured for a good number of years, dealt with my share of 3, 4, and 5 pin cable, and I've never seen an XLR connector pin damaged except when the outer shell is damaged/crushed, at which point the cable is fucked anyway, and 3 or 5 pin wasn't going to make a difference. 

If it's a bar, run whatever the hell make sense for the fixtures in there.  If it's a venue that might see a tour, run 5 pin and some dry cat5e lines.   Keep some adapters and clamp them to an annoying large piece of steel (like the and faceplate and conduit for the connector) so they don't walk. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.