ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3pin or 5pin DMX install?  (Read 14833 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: 3pin or 5pin DMX install?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 01:39:51 AM »

If you are happy with having to use an adapter every time (shudders) then do it in Cat6.

Drew Kirkland

• consultant, designer and installation engineerScot
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 12:06:35 PM »

Build a 5- 3 and a 3 - 5 along with a 2, 3 swap should be part of every lampy's kit

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

why bother to burn the candle at both ends when you can take a flame-thower to it

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »

Hey Folks,

A new bar is installing a small performance stage, and we're planning a 2" pipe a few feet out from the downstage edge for a couple of basic LED wash lights.  While most of the time, they'll be set to some static or standalone mode, we'd like to install provisions for DMX control for future use and / or future fixtures. 

The electricians will be installing all sorts of structural wiring, and I've recommended that we run some DMX from the stage and / or FOH position to the truss. 

Would you recommend using 3-pin or 5-pin connectors on the wall plates for these in-wall runs? 

Thanks!
Do NOT make your supporting pipe 2" as most of your clamps will not fit. 1-1/2" schedule 40 is the optimum size, approximately 1-7/8" O.D., Outside Diameter.  You'll find 2" black iron pipe is approximately 2-3/8" on the outside and definitely NOT what you want.
I'm voting for XLR5's as well.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »

I'll throw my vote in for 5-pin, simply because that's what the standard specifies.  That said, I always travel with numerous adapters going both directions.

Lots of lighting desks will output 2 universes on one 5 pin making it easy to get both universes to stage with one cable. 

I believe that practice is strongly discouraged since DMX512-A now specifies a more constraining list of acceptable uses for Pins 4 and 5. 

Lyle Williams

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:13 AM »

Build a 5- 3 and a 3 - 5 along with a 2, 3 swap should be part of every lampy's kit

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

But do you want to have to reach for one of these adapter cables EVERY time you plug in a fixture?

In a world of cheap fixtures, everything is xlr3 and every cable is xlr3 m-f.  Mix in xlr5 fixed cabling and suddenly you need two types of cable, xlr5-to-3 adapters and xlr3-xlr3 to daisy chain.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »

But do you want to have to reach for one of these adapter cables EVERY time you plug in a fixture?

In a world of cheap fixtures, everything is xlr3 and every cable is xlr3 m-f.  Mix in xlr5 fixed cabling and suddenly you need two types of cable, xlr5-to-3 adapters and xlr3-xlr3 to daisy chain.

^^ there are very few advantages of 5-pin and IMO the hassle of mix & match is not worth those benefits of 5pin. Nearly every pro fixtures has both 3 & 5 pin. Hardly any other fixture has 5pin, thus go with the greater density and the few outliers that require 5-pin, use adapters...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chris Pflieger

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »

^^ there are very few advantages of 5-pin and IMO the hassle of mix & match is not worth those benefits of 5pin. Nearly every pro fixtures has both 3 & 5 pin. Hardly any other fixture has 5pin, thus go with the greater density and the few outliers that require 5-pin, use adapters...

I know this is a bit old, but I can't help responding...

Wall plates should definitely be 5 pin. A DMX wall pate is going to be a female XLR connector. The cable connector opposite a microphone is going to be a male XLR connector. If connectors fit, people will mate them without regard to function and purpose - just look at the problems with audio inserts on mixers.

I try to stick with 5 pin as much as possible because it keeps audio guys from using the DMX patch cables and vice versa.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »

I know this is a bit old, but I can't help responding...

Wall plates should definitely be 5 pin. A DMX wall pate is going to be a female XLR connector. The cable connector opposite a microphone is going to be a male XLR connector. If connectors fit, people will mate them without regard to function and purpose - just look at the problems with audio inserts on mixers.

I try to stick with 5 pin as much as possible because it keeps audio guys from using the DMX patch cables and vice versa.

I still 100% disagree.

Label the wall plate with 'DMX' or 'lights only'. If people are plugging mics into dmx ports then you have bigger issues with people's intelligence that 5-pin isn't going to help.

If you're an only pro level gear house then sure, I can easily see only having 5-pin, because ALL of the fixtures will be 5-pin capable.

I'd just hate to see someone having 50x 5-3pin/3-5pin adapter cables in a small bar. That's just silly and a waste of money.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chris Pflieger

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »

I still 100% disagree.

Label the wall plate with 'DMX' or 'lights only'. If people are plugging mics into dmx ports then you have bigger issues with people's intelligence that 5-pin isn't going to help.

If you're an only pro level gear house then sure, I can easily see only having 5-pin, because ALL of the fixtures will be 5-pin capable.

I'd just hate to see someone having 50x 5-3pin/3-5pin adapter cables in a small bar. That's just silly and a waste of money.
Idiots are everywhere and often self-identify as geniuses.

Why not just have one 5 to 3 adaptor at the wallplate then 3 pin cable for the rest?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »

If you are happy with having to use an adapter every time (shudders) then do it in Cat6.

With the direction that lighting control (and everything else digital) is proceeding, I would put in a run of Cat6 along with the DMX run.  That way your will be ready for ART Net or whatever the "next big thing" is.  Its cheap and easy at this point. 

Of course it you do that, then the "next big thing" will probably be optical or who knows what.  Standards change. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.