ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Everyone is making the jump...In-ears - current offerings/recommendations?  (Read 6045 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound

A quick correction.  The correct part number for the $79.99 Galaxy ear buds is EB6.  I am sorry for any confusion. 

I have not personally compared these to $200.00 earbuds, but some of my customers purchasing these have previously had earbuds in that price range and up) and their reports are very favorable.  This is not a personal opinion, just customer's feedback.

Steve Oldridge

I would not get yourself caught up in the number of transducers. I have found it to be the marketing gimmick of IEMs.
I've gone thru a whole host of buds over the last 8 (?) yrs and used systems ranging from wired to wireless, including home-grown wired, Aviom and Behringer PM systems, to Carvin, Shure and Senn wireless systems.
I learnt early on that I have smallish ear canals and even the smallest Comply tips easily broke the "seal" when singing or moving my head or opening my jaw.
One of the best quality universals I found (for $28) was a set of Sony EX55's, but they wouldn't stay sealed. I tried cheap $9 Panasonics and no-name brands, then moved to Westone UM1 (then UM20's) with half molds. Audio was pretty good, but the molds hurt my ears during a full gig. I then went to full custom molds and 1964 Ears Qi's (quads). They were great. When my band became endorsees a couple of yrs ago, I upgraded to A8's with the ADEL tech. Both sets use BA's. I use the Quads as backups now.
The stock Carvin buds with the EM900 system were (IMHO) ice-picky horrible. Used them once.
The SE215's that I got with the PSM200 were OK for single driver, and I have NOT taken the Senn E4's (that came with the G3 IEM system) out of the plastic wrapper.
Predominantly playing bass for the last 4 yrs, the last 18 months with the A8's (4 LF BA's and over 120 gigs) has allowed me to hear sub-bass and distinctive bass frequencies that I never heard in the Qi's or any other bud I've used. The ADEL tech basically adds the equivalent of an ambient port, so ear fatigue is almost non-existent at the volume levels I use. I will often leave them in for the entire gig, breaks and all.
Yes, I've often wondered where the 80/20 rule comes in with number of drivers per ear.. but.. it seems to work for the A8's.

I look at it this way. .Would a good FOH engineer run an entire band thru a single speaker (dynamic or BA) on each side of the stage ????  Most here would probably scoff at anyone suggesting such a thing!
Why then, would you put the same thing next  to your ear and expect quality audio?
On my bass forum, I always recommend that bassists get a minimum of TRIPLE drivers to split the spectrum and get better audio splits and control over bass.. No different than running a 3-way tri-amped PA, right?   The SE215's gave me audio fatigue over time and I had difficulty distinguishing multiple instruments in the spectrum.. even in stereo.. unless things were panned hard L/R . But that is really weird to listen to.

Yes, one can argue the benefits of dynamic vs BA and the number of each all day long.
I can't say I've used the whole spectrum of offerings from vendors, but based on my range of experiences, 3 drivers will ALWAYS be better than one.  YMMV
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:50:21 AM by Steve Oldridge »

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound

I've gone thru a whole host of buds over the last 8 (?) yrs and used systems ranging from wired to wireless, including home-grown wired, Aviom and Behringer PM systems, to Carvin, Shure and Senn wireless systems.
I learnt early on that I have smallish ear canals and even the smallest Comply tips easily broke the "seal" when singing or moving my head or opening my jaw.
One of the best quality universals I found (for $28) was a set of Sony EX55's, but they wouldn't stay sealed. I tried cheap $9 Panasonics and no-name brands, then moved to Westone UM1 (then UM20's) with half molds. Audio was pretty good, but the molds hurt my ears during a full gig. I then went to full custom molds and 1964 Ears Qi's (quads). They were great. When my band became endorsees a couple of yrs ago, I upgraded to A8's with the ADEL tech. Both sets use BA's. I use the Quads as backups now.
The stock Carvin buds with the EM900 system were (IMHO) ice-picky horrible. Used them once.
The SE215's that I got with the PSM200 were OK for single driver, and I have NOT taken the Senn E4's (that came with the G3 IEM system) out of the plastic wrapper.
Predominantly playing bass for the last 4 yrs, the last 18 months with the A8's (4 LF BA's and over 120 gigs) has allowed me to hear sub-bass and distinctive bass frequencies that I never heard in the Qi's or any other bud I've used. The ADEL tech basically adds the equivalent of an ambient port, so ear fatigue is almost non-existent at the volume levels I use. I will often leave them in for the entire gig, breaks and all.
Yes, I've often wondered where the 80/20 rule comes in with number of drivers per ear.. but.. it seems to work for the A8's.

I look at it this way. .Would a good FOH engineer run an entire band thru a single speaker (dynamic or BA) on each side of the stage ????  Most here would probably scoff at anyone suggesting such a thing!
Why then, would you put the same thing next  to your ear and expect quality audio?
On my bass forum, I always recommend that bassists get a minimum of TRIPLE drivers to split the spectrum and get better audio splits and control over bass.. No different than running a 3-way tri-amped PA, right?   The SE215's gave me audio fatigue over time and I had difficulty distinguishing multiple instruments in the spectrum.. even in stereo.. unless things were panned hard L/R . But that is really weird to listen to.

Yes, one can argue the benefits of dynamic vs BA and the number of each all day long.
I can't say I've used the whole spectrum of offerings from vendors, but based on my range of experiences, 3 drivers will ALWAYS be better than one.  YMMV

I currently run the quads from 64audio, picked them up when they first started (new the owners/family that started the company), curious what kind of a difference you heard going to the 8 driver?  I am getting ready to either pay the upgrade to switch my quads to the adel series (nominal cost), or pay for a brand new set and keep the quads around.  Ive been extremely pleased with the quads.

Steve Oldridge

I currently run the quads from 64audio, picked them up when they first started (new the owners/family that started the company), curious what kind of a difference you heard going to the 8 driver?  I am getting ready to either pay the upgrade to switch my quads to the adel series (nominal cost), or pay for a brand new set and keep the quads around.  Ive been extremely pleased with the quads.
I used the 1964 Quads (Qi's) for about 2 yrs. The extra 2 LF BA drivers in the A8's provides much more bass definition - at least when listening to music. The extra mid and HF gives the impression of doing the same. They are not as heavily bass-weighted as the Quads, but (to me) are "flatter" than the QI's.
The BIG difference is the ADEL tech. They behave a little like ambient ports, but nowhere near as "open". I use them when I fly, and I can clearly hear the engine noise (but not nearly as loud as without), but putting my fingers on the diaphragm's on each side kills the equalization - gives that full seal.
My question when deciding to upgrade - was the obvious one. Is the extra $$ (even with my artist discount) worth the price?
I won't unequivocally state "Yes!" but the improvements are noticeable.
The biggest difference for me ?
I used the REV33 with my Qi's - which reduced ear fatigue doing typical 4+ hr club gigs.
With the A8's, the ADEL ports cut that fatigue significantly and I no longer use the REV33.
I keep my IEM volumes quite low, which allows some the stage ambience thru when playing. Communicating with other bands members is also much easier as I can hear them better without removing a bud.

Let me know if you need more info..

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC

I have been using IEMs as a drummer/vocalist for roughly 8 years now. I started with the Shure SE series universals. They sounded "ok" but the real issue was getting them to stay put with limbs moving and jaw flapping. Isolation was poor and they were a distraction. I tried all kinds of foam and rubber adapters with them (but not the custom made adapters). I then jumped to a pair of Ultimate Ears after that were full custom molds and never looked back. I purchased the lower end model with 2 drivers and they just blew away the universals in terms of fit, form and function. They sound "pretty good" and "more than good enough" for monitoring purposes IMO. Would I want to mix with them? No -  they are hyped as they are intended for monitoring. But they have been worth every penny I paid.

My wife who is a lead vocalist and bass player is using Shures with the custom adapters someone mentioned above. Although I have not used them, she continually complains they are difficult to get them in and to stay put. The custom piece is very soft vs the hard plastic of my UEs. I dont know if that is the issue why her are uncomfortable and mine are not (I routinely use them for 3 hr shows and forget they are there). FWIW, we both had molds made at the same audiologist.

I guess what I am trying to say is that for me, paying the price for a custom job was probably the best $ I ever spent as a performer. In the beginning, I didn't want to spend $500 either, but in the end I ended up spending even more in total to get to a happy place. I would solidly place IEMs in the buy once, cry once category.

So, these days I am thinking about getting another pair so I have a backup since I rely on these so heavily and the question for me is the same as Steve above: Should I spend more $ for more drivers...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:54:53 PM by BrianHenry »

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC

I too never opened the buds that came with my EW300 G3, lol.

Robert Lofgren

I can highly recommend these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301908686912

Don't let the price fool you. They have memory wire and can be found with or without the cable mic for your phone.

They are sounding great for everyday use but still work great as iem as well. Due to its dual driver design it even works with 5-string bass and it can also get loud and punchy while not crapping out.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

Just picked up a set of discontinued Westone UM3x from Sweetwater currently reduced by $150 from $400 to $250!!!
Triple drivers and removable cable for less than $250 so I jumped on it. Chris used them this weekend and LOVES them. He used the UM20 (dual drivers) for the past few years and always thought they were excellent but he says the difference is very noticeable - especially for bass.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UM3XRPM
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!

I have been using IEMs as a drummer/vocalist for roughly 8 years now. I started with the Shure SE series universals. They sounded "ok" but the real issue was getting them to stay put with limbs moving and jaw flapping. Isolation was poor and they were a distraction. I tried all kinds of foam and rubber adapters with them (but not the custom made adapters). I then jumped to a pair of Ultimate Ears after that were full custom molds and never looked back...

...I guess what I am trying to say is that for me, paying the price for a custom job was probably the best $ I ever spent as a performer. In the beginning, I didn't want to spend $500 either, but in the end I ended up spending even more in total to get to a happy place. I would solidly place IEMs in the buy once, cry once category.

So, these days I am thinking about getting another pair so I have a backup since I rely on these so heavily and the question for me is the same as Steve above: Should I spend more $ for more drivers...

In an area where there are no absolutes, this one is pretty darn close to it.  Go Custom!  Just do it.  You're never going to be truly happy until you do.

I'm an AlClair user and supporter.  They've got some very inexpensive dual driver customs that can get you in the door.  And what they do, or at least did last I checked, was allow you to upgrade to a higher driver count from your existing pair for just the cost difference between the units.  So you can start with the duals, move up a level or two incrementally, and then stop when you're happy.  I did this and ended at the 4-driver RSM model.  I am very very happy with these and have no need to 'upgrade' any farther.

But regardless of the manufacturer, there is no substitute for customs, especially if you are a singer or active performer.  Buy once, Cry once indeed.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

My advice to anyone making the move to iems is to at least try the stock tips that come with the phones or aftermarket ones like Comply before purchasing customs. My reasoning is based on my own experience.
Although many folks have gone custom because they could not get isolation any other way, my experience is different.
Chris ( hubby bass player) has been fortunate to be able to use the good quality foam tips that can be bought quite inexpensively - he uses Comply. He has never had an issue with isolation and gets excellent results with hardly any bleed - even from drums. (Must be his ear shape and size :-\)
I realize this won't work for everyone but I would always suggest trying the less expensive route first.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 25 queries.