ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen and Heath GL2200 Effects Help!  (Read 7682 times)

Chris Stocksmith

Re: Allen and Heath GL2200 Effects Help!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 12:00:12 AM »

Oh, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. Fire away! If you see something in my logic (no pun) illogical, Vulcan nerve pinch away!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »

Oh, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. Fire away! If you see something in my logic (no pun) illogical, Vulcan nerve pinch away!

How many monitor mixes are you using in the practice space?

I guess I don't see how the 2200 is helping your recording.  The USB preamps should do the trick.  I would think you could use the DAW to mix your practice space.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Stocksmith

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 02:35:38 AM »

I guess I don't see how the 2200 is helping your recording.  The USB preamps should do the trick.  I would think you could use the DAW to mix your practice space.

No more than 4 monitor mixes. The 2200 is not helping our recording, nor is it necessary for the 'recording'. What it is necessary for is our monitor mix, because we are recording with monitors NOT headphones. So, yeah, lots of cans of works with that, but we'll deal. It's more about capturing the lightning when it happens. We're constantly working on the right feel, arrangement, etc. and being able to capture the 'magic' when it happens and to make demos from our practices to eventually find the blueprint for an actual recording is our goal in this scenario. 

Chris Stocksmith

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »

1. Do the modification needed to set for pre EQ / fader mode on all channels.
2. Take the mixer out of monitor mode. You are not running a monitor desk in your case. You need it to be set up for conventional use.
3. Run the mixer like a normal FOH mixer. Set the auxes for monitors as needed and use a sub group out if you run out of auxes for FX.
I own a GL2400 and it has separate group outs that are distinct from the auxes. The 2200 looks to have both group and aux outs, but I am not sure what they mean by the nomenclature on the back panel. I would guess that the sub groups have separate outs just as the auxes would, but the wording seems backwards. The sub group outs should be the XLR connectors, while the Auxes all the TRS outs. In either case you should be able to use a sub group out as an alternative FX send. To do that you take the channels and send them to thew sub group only and not to L/R. The FX return would come in on another channel that is not set to go into L/R only. This would give you a way to make 2 separate FX mixes.
Luke Geis is a Steely-Eyed Missile Man.

Chris Stocksmith

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 10:37:35 AM »

The FX return would come in on another channel that is not set to go into L/R only. This would give you a way to make 2 separate FX mixes.

You mean "now set to go into L/R only", I assume.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks so much everyone!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 09:44:58 PM »

That is correct, sorry for the typo.

The Sub group will send to the L / R automatically, so you don't need to send the channels going into the sub group to the L / R mix ( the switches on each channel strip ). The FX however cannot be sent back to itself or nasty sounds will ensue. So the FX return channel can be sent directly to the L / R/ mix.

With a need for only 4 monitor mixes though, you will have 2 more auxillary mixes to use for FX! So you don't need to worry about sub groups anyway. The 5-6 aux mix can be set for pre or post and you want to set them for post. The return can be any set of channels you desire, but the stereo channels are always a good choice.

Have fun and do please post results and impressions!
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 03:31:26 PM »

one note on the effect return channel .
Make sure no one brings up the aux sends on that return ch .
it will cause some unpleasant looping.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 03:31:26 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.