ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Controlling easy-to-set-up Chauvet bar band lighting rig  (Read 9853 times)

Terry Martin

Re: Controlling easy-to-set-up Chauvet bar band lighting rig
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »

Nice! I like the scanners. Which are those?
Chauvet Intimidator LED 300's.  Good features for bar band - lightweight - rotating gobos. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Garrett

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 10:27:09 AM »

I'm new here, but I use MA-ligthing's dot2 onPC free universe to do a pretty significant show.  You have to buy a few components, like an Artnet to DMX dongle, but once you do that you have lots of capability.  I also use a midi board with foot switch inputs to control it while I'm playing guitar.  It's better when I'm running lights and not playing, but I can get by for my personal band. 

For less $'s than a single LED PAR would cost, you could be using the baby sister of the grandMA2! 

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »

Chauvet Intimidator LED 300's.  Good features for bar band - lightweight - rotating gobos. 

Ah, not surprised. Based on a lot of reading and looking at other light shows I decided my minimum for an LED scanner should be about 60 watts.

Kevin Olson

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »

Here are a few pictures of the show.  The purplish one is from a show we provided sound and lighting, it uses 5 4bar tri usb.

The second picture is from a gig we played and is four 4bar tri usb.

Great shots. We're using an almost identical setup and I'm in the process of programming our lighting. The haze makes the lighting look all the better. What type of fog/hazer are you using? What are the pros/cons?

Allen Smith

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »

Great shots. We're using an almost identical setup and I'm in the process of programming our lighting. The haze makes the lighting look all the better. What type of fog/hazer are you using? What are the pros/cons?

We are using the Antari Z350.  It is awesome.  The only issue if you can call it an issue is that on its lowest setting it can be too much fog for a small venue on auto mode.  I just use the button periodically and it's fine.  Having used a few other foggers, the build quality and price of this one is pretty awesome.

Wes Garland

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 11:33:37 AM »

I have a similar setup. An ADJ-branded Elation controller and Microh tribar LEDs.   This is NOT the most intuitive setup, but you *can* control the fixtures individually with the Microh and bet you can with the Chauvet, too.  I have mine set for 6-channel operation, which is confusing on a controller that is 8-sliders wide... but basically, I take the fixture number on the controller, multiply it by eight, and set the fixture for that DMX channel.  Then each slider pair controls R/G/B from each light.  Yeah, super-confusing, a computer would be easier to think about.

So how do I handle a show?  I program all of the looks I want ahead of time into scene, and I label each light.  I think of each look as being centric to a band member, and assign each band member a bank.  So, the front man is bank one, any scene in bank 1 should look good on him.  Scenes 4-6 are more saturated, less bright versions of scenes 1-3.  Scene 7 is focus-guy-only, rest of stage is dark (dim blue, actually). Then I assign chases similarly, chase 1 is bank 1 scenes 1-3, chase 2 is bank 2 scenes 1-3, chase 5 is bank 1 scenes 4-6, etc.

Now, live, I have less stuff to remember and I can actually make changes with my left hand while playing piano with the right.  I basically select either scenes or chases, pick a fade speed which gives me the side effects I want as my moonflowers cycle over the dance floor, and use "tap tempo" to pick how fast things should go.

I have been thinking also of sending scene changes via MIDI as I change programs in the piano......but I have finite time, and I don't know what happens if I send bad data.  If you pick the currently-selected scene in this controller, it goes to blackout mode. Grr.

Wes

duane massey

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 09:02:04 PM »

Wes, I am guessing that you have a Showdesigner 1? Very useful controller once you get up to speed on the programming method.
I set up a couple for bands a while back, and basically used one page of scenes for each song. With 99 pages you can do this, especially if you set up a few generic scenes at first.
Made running the system easy for the sound guy, as all he had to do was select the proper page and then step thru the scenes on cue for each song.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Wes Garland

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 10:27:14 PM »

No, not quite that fancy.  I have an Elation DMX Operator, although my specific unit was OEMd for American DJ.  It's a simple controller, but it has flexible enough data input and a bunch of buttons.  The bunch of buttons are really useful when you're multitasking.

duane massey

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »

Yep, there is a world of difference. If you watch you can quite often find SD 1's on Ebay for $200 or so.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.