ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive Floor Monitor  (Read 12287 times)

jesseweiss

Re: Inexpensive Floor Monitor
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2017, 04:17:12 pm »

Jess, you have a very common situation battling stage volume. I deal with it all the time. There are always going to be musicians that play too loud. All the suggestions will help - pointing amps in different locations or from the sides, etc. Bottom line though, you will at times need a very powerful floor monitor. If your band wasn't too loud, and no one needed instruments in their wedge, then the Alto's might be the way to go, especially with their small footprint.

I think you should consider increasing your budget and getting a powerful box, that will do everything. I don't see deploying side fills as a solution for your gig.

My go-to floor monitor is the DSR112. It can get stupid loud, but sounds good and clear. They have never - not worked, in any club or outside gig. You can get them from Mike Pyle on this forum at a very good price.
As DSRs are out of my budget right now, would separating the guitars into a different speaker than vocals make a difference?

I have enough aux busses, and since the biggest issue is probably hearing the lead guitar on the opposite side, I was thinking I could run one speaker just for that.  I was thinking separating that content out of a vocal monitor would keep the sound cleaner on stage.

The other guitarist has an extension cab and the only one who can't hear the bass is the bassist ( ).

I can afford another ZLX12p for that purpose and still get 2 of the SXM112a for just vocals. All together those would be similarly priced to one DSR and might solve the problem after better amp placement.

jesseweiss

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2017, 04:26:14 pm »

Okay I guess I just described side fills! Serves me right for trying to write while busy and distracted.

So Steve your idea is just to pony up and buy 2 monitors to use up front that can handle instruments too?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2017, 07:48:56 pm »

This is a cool thread. I've really enjoyed following it. Especially like the great practical solutions and experience contained.
Everyone can hear the bass but himself'.. Wow.
I'll just toss two in.
My wife likes here SWR 6-10 stack even when that much head room is not really needed. ..The top two tens are up high to hear it better. This would be I presume an articulation aspect. And it was (well) said earlier here :>)
Second, maybe a 12" monitor could be a monitor for him, but it would be 'well HP filtered'.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2017, 08:12:11 pm »

If he can not hear the bass than try a SubPac  https://www.facebook.com/SubPacOfficial/?hc_ref=ADS&fref=nf#  or as Mike Sokol does, use an earthquake plate.  Sheet of plywood on 1 inch rubber feet, two butkickers to vibrate the plywood the bass player stands on.  This allows the bass player to feel the vibrations, of his notes he is playing. 

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2017, 11:25:03 pm »

With a 1-10 30W on one side and a Lunchbox on the other, I don't think the classic excessive guitar volume is the issue here.  If anything I suspect it's a bit thin for rock and roll.  None of that big thumping 4-12 mud.  Not such a bad thing anyway.  Especially if the players are happy with their tone.

I'm thinking the 1-10 might be a closed back and so only projects out front, and the rhythm guitarist on the other side can't hear it that well.  Probably over the bass and drums which are normal.  So IMHO sidefills with the opposite guitar in them are the way to go.  External slave amps would work but probably cost more than a ZLX.

My budget recommendation, an Alto in front of each vocalist, and a ZLX on each side with only the opposite guitar in it.  The sidefills shouldn't have to be that loud given that each guitar amp isn't that loud to begin with.  Fairly easy way to get a big sound on stage that's probably satisfying to the players without it being that loud out front.

jesseweiss

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2017, 11:34:15 pm »

With a 1-10 30W on one side and a Lunchbox on the other, I don't think the classic excessive guitar volume is the issue here.  If anything I suspect it's a bit thin for rock and roll.  None of that big thumping 4-12 mud.  Not such a bad thing anyway.  Especially if the players are happy with their tone.

I'm thinking the 1-10 might be a closed back and so only projects out front, and the rhythm guitarist on the other side can't hear it that well.  Probably over the bass and drums which are normal.  So IMHO sidefills with the opposite guitar in them are the way to go.  External slave amps would work but probably cost more than a ZLX.

My budget recommendation, an Alto in front of each vocalist, and a ZLX on each side with only the opposite guitar in it.  The sidefills shouldn't have to be that loud given that each guitar amp isn't that loud to begin with.  Fairly easy way to get a big sound on stage that's probably satisfying to the players without it being that loud out front.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

It's a 1x12 btw, I wrote it wrong the first time, and it's open back.

Time to gather together my budget :).

Steve Garris

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2017, 04:42:47 pm »

Okay I guess I just described side fills! Serves me right for trying to write while busy and distracted.

So Steve your idea is just to pony up and buy 2 monitors to use up front that can handle instruments too?

Yes, but I am always looking to use the least amount of gear, hauling and setup time. Have you checked with Mike on the cost for the DSR?

Your idea of using the Alto's for vocals only and the EV wedge for instruments will probably work well.

jesseweiss

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2017, 06:59:31 pm »

Yes, but I am always looking to use the least amount of gear, hauling and setup time. Have you checked with Mike on the cost for the DSR?

Your idea of using the Alto's for vocals only and the EV wedge for instruments will probably work well.
I have not checked with Mike about the DSR, only Alto's. But as it's typically a 900 speaker, even with a good discount it's pricey for me.

Plus it would be weird to have a more powerful higher end monitor than my SRM mains, no?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2017, 06:59:31 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.