ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive Floor Monitor  (Read 12267 times)

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
Re: Inexpensive Floor Monitor
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 03:11:59 pm »

I have a ZLX12p already as a monitor. I like it a lot but it doesn't come close to the output of the SRM for FOH from experience so far.

My thought is whether to get 2 more zlx or something else to replace aging/lower end monitors.

Right now leaning towards Alto SXM for price, sound, and size/weight reasons.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Curious to know what are your settings on the DSP?

jesseweiss

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 04:23:08 pm »

I use the "Live" setting. I use it as a monitor so I haven't actually set it up for FOH.

jesseweiss

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 04:04:10 pm »

Bringing this back to life a little as still considering options. Alto SXM112a is still an option but with unseen financial issues I might need to rely on special financing via Sweetwater.

As such, I'm looking at other options.

Anyone have experience between JBL Eon, ZLX, srm350/450, Yamaha DBR10?

I've listened to the Eon and ZLX side by side and prefer the EV. All the reviews are flowing for the DBR series and they are very light, which is part of what I want with my age and back issues.

Turbosound tfx122m-an are another option but aren't as inexpensive or in stock right now.

As always welcome any thoughts or feedback.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 08:20:42 pm »

If you can, while demoing boxes, see if you can get them to play some music though larger full range speakers to simulate the noise of a band.  And then with a microphone try seeing how well you can hear yourself talk or sing though the one's you're looking at.

From my experience the Eon's get congested fairly quickly and won't cut though that well.  The DBRs will carry louder.  The ZLX sound more full range which helps if you're going to run a keyboard or acoustic guitar though them and I think they get louder than the Eon 10 or DBR10, but the smile curve hurts intelligibility so it may not be as loud as you think.

jesseweiss

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 08:33:18 pm »

ZLX12P​ are heavier than DBR10, because of size, which might be a determining factor.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 08:59:13 am »

Bringing this back to life a little as still considering options. Alto SXM112a is still an option but with unseen financial issues I might need to rely on special financing via Sweetwater.

I don't see the logic here.  The Alto is the lightest, smallest and at 299.00 the most affordable.  What financial issues require you to buy something larger, heavier and not a good sounding?

I get no interest for 2 year credit card offers in the mail every week...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

jesseweiss

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 09:13:19 am »

I don't see the logic here.  The Alto is the lightest, smallest and at 299.00 the most affordable.  What financial issues require you to buy something larger, heavier and not a good sounding?

I get no interest for 2 year credit card offers in the mail every week...
The Alto's are actually slightly heavier than the DBR10 and I'm not sure there is much size difference, the DBR's are also rated at higher SPL. Yes they cost more but Yamaha has a 7 year warranty and I have had reliability issues with the 2 TS112's I have and they have a much shorter warranty.

The other issue is I don't get zero percent interest offers every week and this is for my band, not for a Pro Sound company, so it's literally out of pocket rather than a business expense. As such, having 4 years to pay off the cost difference, rather than paying interest or paying out of pocket, is relevant in my particular life situation. I'm glad it's not in yours, but we all have different lives.

I can wait until the money is there and just get the Alto's from Mike, my tax refund comes soon, but I was hoping to have them to use soon as well.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 10:58:03 am »

I can wait until the money is there and just get the Alto's from Mike, my tax refund comes soon, but I was hoping to have them to use soon as well.

"OK, class.  Haste makes what?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?"

jesseweiss

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 11:10:47 am »

"OK, class.  Haste makes what?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?"

Of course it's subjective whether getting the EV ZLX12P for a little more money than the SXM112a is a "waste" considering there are differences in their specs. Is $25 a unit a "waste" if I get a unit I like, may possible perform more of a function I need (more SPL, more DSP control - considering our monitors carry guitars/bass) or provide use in a specific setting in the near future (which has it's own value), and provides flexible financing which may allow me to purchase other upgrades that have value?

There is a lot more to the measuring the utility of a decision than simply a cost comparison.

FYI - My refund came through so I'm sort of free to do what I want. I'm leaning towards the Alto's. My concern is will they carry guitars/bass well as the guys in my band (I'm the drummer) always need to hear themselves too much. Side fills was mentioned, but I would end up moving our Behringers to that duty and maybe that would be fine, but maybe I should look for another pair of "better" budget monitors for that duty.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:14:11 am by jesseweiss »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 11:45:36 am »

Jesse...

If you're intent on putting bass and guitar through floor monitors in anything smaller than an arena or outdoor stage, something is wrong with the plan.  The size, weight and cost of monitors that can handle that amount of program material is beyond the scope of your topic.

Another question is just how loud do your monitors need to be?  This is getting into the realm of stage volume concerns regarding over-all sound quality and the same old situation of trying to fix everything with a technical solution when there's an even chance that getting more cooperation between the musicians would alleviate the bulk of the difficulties.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 11:45:36 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.