ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive Floor Monitor  (Read 12266 times)

Aaron Maurer

Re: Inexpensive Floor Monitor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 10:56:37 pm »

I have been running the Yorkville YX10p and get lots of great compliments about them. Small compact very clear for monitor duty and they get pretty loud. A friend turned me on to them and have nothing but great experiences.  They are well within your budget. 

jesseweiss

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 12:23:57 pm »

For hearing vocals over a loud stage they beat any of the low end contenders like Eons or ZLX and quite a few mid range speakers.  The seem to also be popular with the guitar amp modeler crowd although they won't simulate a 4-12 thump like a DJ speaker will.

Here's four of them spread across a patio for a civic show with a strong R&B band (drummer is from Tower of Power and not a light hitter  ;) )  No problem hearing the vocals any where in the "stage" area.  I ran a pair of K10s as side fills with just a bit guitar and keys in them for each guy to hear the other.  The DBR10 over DXS12 sub is next to the drummer but it's mostly for him to hear the bass guitar.  He didn't want his vox blasting next to him.  When I walked over by him you could hear the vocals from the front line of Altos just fine, even though they are pointing up.

Definitely leaning towards the Alto's when the funds are ready.

I typically put a little of each guitar into the monitor on the opposite side of the stage (some bass by the bass player too), plus vocals.

I have never done side fills, do you think that would be a better option for instruments and only run vocals on the floor?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 12:48:01 pm »

I have never done side fills, do you think that would be a better option for instruments and only run vocals on the floor?
Back when I only had 4 sends I found that vocals in the front, stage opposite instruments in the sides anbd a drum fill were the best way to use them.

Most singers have trouble hearing themselves over the stage volume.  Adding instruments to what they're listening to makes it harder IMHO.  Which is why I started using the side fills so that players on each side could hear the folks on the other without each having to crank their amps to louder on the other side than the drums.  Even with 12 sends on the digital board most of the time this still works well unless there's a horn section or back up singers that need their own mix.

My main complaint with the years I used IEMs was lack of localization.  A lot of time you can avoid the "more-me" by making a sound have a discrete source the person can fix on.  If everything is coming from the same point, they you get into the level issue, which do you make louder, and what happens to the stuff that gets buried?  Equal everything means nobody can hear themselves clearly.

Back in the old days of piles of amps, most folks put cabinets for their rig on the other side of the stage and/or behind the drummer so that everyone could hear everyone.  And people would move around the stage and turn their heads to adjust their "personal mix".

jesseweiss

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 03:21:51 pm »

Just as an add in to clarify we don't have vocalists, all musicians sing lead at various times so they want to hear their instruments and voices. I'm the drummer so I can always hear my instrument!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

John Chiara

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 03:34:35 pm »

Definitely leaning towards the Alto's when the funds are ready.

I typically put a little of each guitar into the monitor on the opposite side of the stage (some bass by the bass player too), plus vocals.

I always use side monitors. Gives a more consistent stage sound and lets vocalists move more freely. I also prefer in many acoustic spaces NOT having wedges blowing sound into the ceiling or tent top. I also prefer guitar amps on the side shooting cross stage, if the musicians are agreeable.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 03:58:41 pm »

I've got a pair of dB Technologies FM10's arriving to try. I've been using Alto TS210's which I originally bought to use as monitors when I'm using my FBT X-Lite 12a's as FOH for small acoustic gigs. They Alto's sound surprisingly good for their modest price tag and offer excellent value for money. I personally preferred them to the Alto SXM112A's but unfortunately the cabinets mark VERY easily.
When I'm taking my bigger PA out I use the FBT X-Lites as monitors and these sound great. They are also very loud and clear and can handle bass guitar and kick at modest volumes.
I'm very interested to hear how the dB Technologies FM10's compare to the Alto TS210's when they arrive.

Jay Marr

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 11:17:33 am »

If you google around, you can find a pair of the EV ZLX for $600.  That's a great option.

I also have tried (and own) the Turbo iQ's.....they're great, but a little more expensive than the EV option.

If you get either EV or Turbo 12's, compare them to your FOH Mackies and I'm pretty certain the Mackies will be moved to monitor duty.

jesseweiss

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 02:08:20 pm »

If you google around, you can find a pair of the EV ZLX for $600.  That's a great option.

I also have tried (and own) the Turbo iQ's.....they're great, but a little more expensive than the EV option.

If you get either EV or Turbo 12's, compare them to your FOH Mackies and I'm pretty certain the Mackies will be moved to monitor duty.
I have a ZLX12p already as a monitor. I like it a lot but it doesn't come close to the output of the SRM for FOH from experience so far.

My thought is whether to get 2 more zlx or something else to replace aging/lower end monitors.

Right now leaning towards Alto SXM for price, sound, and size/weight reasons.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Richard Penrose

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 04:56:52 pm »

I've been trying out the DB Technology's FM10 and Alto TS210 this past couple of days. The FM10's have much better build quality than the Alto's. The FM10 cabinets feel solid with the wood cabinets and the denser plastic sides. The Altos feel a little flimsy by comparison. The FM10's also look slicker and more professional. This gave me high hopes for the FM10's. However, I found them to sound pretty boxy and didn't have the clarity of the Alto's to my ears. I found it harder to hear finer nuances in my voice of other instruments which was disappointing. I also found the separation between different instruments on the FM10's wasn't as good as on the Alto's which was a real surprise!
The Alto TS210's have continued to impress me with their sound for the price. I just wish the cabinets didn't mark so easily!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 05:23:55 pm »

Note that the Alto SXM are an entirely different animal than the TS "fullrange" speakers.  They are small vocal monitors and not really voiced for FOH use.  Wood cabinets but 1/2" for lightness.  Due to the thin wood and small internal volume they sound a bit boxy listening to music on their own.  The TS or other similar speakers like the ZLX will sound much "better" in a store demo listening to music playback.

Where the SXMs shine is in their intended use.  Very small footprint on stage.  Very steep angle meaning that vocalists are usually in the horn's effective pattern.  Most fullrange boxes with a monitor angle shoot at the knees of singers on typical small stages.  With the usual low cost boxes used as monitors I can usually hear the vocals much better sitting down at a drumset at the back of the stage than I can when playing guitar at the front of the stage.  The voicing of the Altos does not contribute to stage mud.  They get the vocals across and don't do anything else.  I think some of the positions on the "voicing" switch are for some sort of "smile" curve but that's not what the box is about.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 05:23:55 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.