ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: SlimPar Pro  (Read 9226 times)

Michael Gorecki

SlimPar Pro
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »

Hey guys, I'm in the process of upgrading my lighting rig. I've owned and used the SlimPar Pro lights before and for the price I like the lights (mainly the housing). My main concern right now is choosing between the Hex and Quad fixtures. I offer full production services but we specialize in audio. When I need to do a larger show I rent additional lighting and hire an LD. I would like to purchase something that is still usable even though any real LD will balk at them, but my primary work is local city, blues jazz festivals. Sometimes we build a goal post in front of the stage and fly the PA and lights from it, or we'll do lights on tripods, or I'll rent Lekos and use the LED's as stage wash. Most of the smaller stages are 16x24. I've attached little bits of info about the two lights in question and I've already talked with a couple people. I'm merely looking for more opinions on these lights and possible suggestions on other lights, but for the money I don't think I can beat the build quality.

Quad (RGBA)
 Beam Angle:16°
 Field Angle: 31°
 Illuminance: 5,690 lux @ 2 m

Hex (RGBAW+UV)
Beam Angle:24°
 Field Angle: 41°
 Illuminance: 3,218 lux @ 2 m

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: SlimPar Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:43:10 AM »

Hey guys, I'm in the process of upgrading my lighting rig. I've owned and used the SlimPar Pro lights before and for the price I like the lights (mainly the housing). My main concern right now is choosing between the Hex and Quad fixtures. I offer full production services but we specialize in audio. When I need to do a larger show I rent additional lighting and hire an LD. I would like to purchase something that is still usable even though any real LD will balk at them, but my primary work is local city, blues jazz festivals. Sometimes we build a goal post in front of the stage and fly the PA and lights from it, or we'll do lights on tripods, or I'll rent Lekos and use the LED's as stage wash. Most of the smaller stages are 16x24. I've attached little bits of info about the two lights in question and I've already talked with a couple people. I'm merely looking for more opinions on these lights and possible suggestions on other lights, but for the money I don't think I can beat the build quality.

Quad (RGBA)

Hex (RGBAW+UV)

Mike
I own/use a bunch of SlimParPro RGBA fixtures and like you I have gotten a lot of mileage out of them for the money.  I looked at the Colordash quad and hex fixtures which are a little bit upmarket of the SlimParPros, but the same general technology. 

The Hex is going to have a wider color gamut than the quad, and the W emitter will help make natural whites compared to the RGBA.  For smaller stages, the wider beam angle of the Hex may allow you to get enough light with fewer fixtures.  The down side is more control channels to use all of those colors, and not all boards can handle color mixing of fixtures like that.

For what it's worth, I ended up talking myself into the Colordashes since they were only slightly more expensive than the SlimPar Pros; immediately followed by talking myself into the Rogue R1 moving wash lights which were only slightly more expensive than the static Colordash pars; immediately followed by talking myself into the Rogue R2 moving wash lights which were only slightly more expensive than the Rogue R1 moving wash lights.

I'm very happy with them, but they are 3 "slightly's" more expensive than what you're looking at.  :)

jason misterka

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:45:28 AM »

Mike  -

Like you we have small lights and hire a lighting company for anything more than a general stage wash.

We had 8 SlimPar Pro RGBA which I liked well enough but we switched to an IP65 Blizzard WW-COB fixture. Rain proof was a big deal to me, and two of our SlimPars were damaged that way.

Also the Blizzards do only white but it is a great looking white, unlike the SlimPars.  I use the SlimPars now primarily upstage as decor or uplighting for corporate events.

The  Blizzard lights are also extremely bright and much wider so you can probably  get away with using 4 or 6 instead of 8 on a smaller stage.

Lastly, arent the SlimPars discontinued? At least that is what I was told. I still found some new on Ebay recently.

Jason

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »

Mike  -

Like you we have small lights and hire a lighting company for anything more than a general stage wash.

We had 8 SlimPar Pro RGBA which I liked well enough but we switched to an IP65 Blizzard WW-COB fixture. Rain proof was a big deal to me, and two of our SlimPars were damaged that way.

Also the Blizzards do only white but it is a great looking white, unlike the SlimPars.  I use the SlimPars now primarily upstage as decor or uplighting for corporate events.

The  Blizzard lights are also extremely bright and much wider so you can probably  get away with using 4 or 6 instead of 8 on a smaller stage.

Lastly, arent the SlimPars discontinued? At least that is what I was told. I still found some new on Ebay recently.

Jason
The SlimPar Pro RGBAs are discontinued, but there are new generation products.

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »

I own/use a bunch of SlimParPro RGBA fixtures and like you I have gotten a lot of mileage out of them for the money.  I looked at the Colordash quad and hex fixtures which are a little bit upmarket of the SlimParPros, but the same general technology. 

The Hex is going to have a wider color gamut than the quad, and the W emitter will help make natural whites compared to the RGBA.  For smaller stages, the wider beam angle of the Hex may allow you to get enough light with fewer fixtures.  The down side is more control channels to use all of those colors, and not all boards can handle color mixing of fixtures like that.

For what it's worth, I ended up talking myself into the Colordashes since they were only slightly more expensive than the SlimPar Pros; immediately followed by talking myself into the Rogue R1 moving wash lights which were only slightly more expensive than the static Colordash pars; immediately followed by talking myself into the Rogue R2 moving wash lights which were only slightly more expensive than the Rogue R1 moving wash lights.

I'm very happy with them, but they are 3 "slightly's" more expensive than what you're looking at.  :)

I just sold my SlimPar Pro W fixtures. I really liked having the white but my clients didn't care at all. So instead of buying more I've decided to sell everything and buy 16 of the same fixture. I talked with a couple people from Chauvet about the color dash lights and they couldn't sell me on the difference. They said the new SlimPar pro fixtures were designed more as a pro fixture than a Dj fixture.

I think I'm leaning towards the hex because of the wider angle and the fact that most of my gigs the lights are closer to the stage. I just don't want to waste the money on the W and UV bulbs if I'm never going to use them.

For the record Tom that's how I ended up here. I own a Chinese version of the SlimPar and I just sold my slim par Tri 12's to free up some money and case space to purchase the SlimPar pros.

Ive been saving money for movers but I think that's all going to a 30 channel distro at this point. No sense in wasting it on DJ level fixtures when I still have real gear I need to buy.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »

This is another one of those "it depends" answers, and I totally understand where you're at with this.  I'm also casually in the market for a few dozen of latest-generation LED Pars and it really comes down to what you want out of the lights and what you want to pay.  Quantity versus quality!  Also, I'm an LD and would definitely not balk at using SlimPars so long as they're used within their given scope of application.  They're very hard to beat for the price.

So as far as the colors go (Hex versus Quad), you can't deny that the more discrete colors you have, the more mixing options you get.  As you point out though - are they the right discrete colors?  The UV is really a wildcard.  Very neat if your designs call for some more exotic colors but generally a waste if you're just going to mix soft facial light. 

Now here's where it gets interesting, and this is what I believe your question is getting at...  Is it worth getting the SlimPar Pro Hex and having 6 in 1 LEDs, or instead getting RGBW or RGBA fixtures that have a lot more horsepower - something such as the Chauvet Colorado Solo or Elation Fuze Series.  That's a tougher question, and one that I still need to answer for my own investment. 

You can't beat the price for the SlimPars, but at the same time if you don't need the precise color mixing, consistency, and beam control of an ETC Source 4 LED than you'd be paying good money for things you won't use.  It's really a balance!  I'm hoping to visit the Elation and Chauvet showrooms in the next few months to see side by side a Hex LED Par compared to a higher output COB Par.  I get what TJ is saying too about always being able to go "another slight step up".  At the same time, if all you're going to do is blast primary colors on a wall while a cover band is struggling to get through a song, you'd be wasting money to get something beyond a basic reliable fixture.   

Water resistance is another interesting point to consider.  I'm on the fence with this too.  Technically for outdoor use they should be IP65, but the question comes up as to how necessary that is.  For permanent unattended installation - mandatory.  However, per this article, apparently these lights are good enough to be used outdoors for American Ninja Warrior.  I don't believe any fixtures on that inventory list are IP65.  So...I guess it depends on how much you're willing to gamble!  Good luck!

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 05:54:10 PM »

This is another one of those "it depends" answers, and I totally understand where you're at with this.  I'm also casually in the market for a few dozen of latest-generation LED Pars and it really comes down to what you want out of the lights and what you want to pay.  Quantity versus quality!  Also, I'm an LD and would definitely not balk at using SlimPars so long as they're used within their given scope of application.  They're very hard to beat for the price.

So as far as the colors go (Hex versus Quad), you can't deny that the more discrete colors you have, the more mixing options you get.  As you point out though - are they the right discrete colors?  The UV is really a wildcard.  Very neat if your designs call for some more exotic colors but generally a waste if you're just going to mix soft facial light. 

Now here's where it gets interesting, and this is what I believe your question is getting at...  Is it worth getting the SlimPar Pro Hex and having 6 in 1 LEDs, or instead getting RGBW or RGBA fixtures that have a lot more horsepower - something such as the Chauvet Colorado Solo or Elation Fuze Series.  That's a tougher question, and one that I still need to answer for my own investment. 

You can't beat the price for the SlimPars, but at the same time if you don't need the precise color mixing, consistency, and beam control of an ETC Source 4 LED than you'd be paying good money for things you won't use.  It's really a balance!  I'm hoping to visit the Elation and Chauvet showrooms in the next few months to see side by side a Hex LED Par compared to a higher output COB Par.  I get what TJ is saying too about always being able to go "another slight step up".  At the same time, if all you're going to do is blast primary colors on a wall while a cover band is struggling to get through a song, you'd be wasting money to get something beyond a basic reliable fixture.   

Water resistance is another interesting point to consider.  I'm on the fence with this too.  Technically for outdoor use they should be IP65, but the question comes up as to how necessary that is.  For permanent unattended installation - mandatory.  However, per this article, apparently these lights are good enough to be used outdoors for American Ninja Warrior.  I don't believe any fixtures on that inventory list are IP65.  So...I guess it depends on how much you're willing to gamble!  Good luck!
Jeff you really hit the nail on the head with this post. Literally everything that you're saying has been a thought in my mind. I've got access to a demo of most of the Chauvet lights so I'll be going next week to check some of those out. I'm hoping that it's a no brainer after switching them on.
 Since my original post I've heard that the UV section isn't really worth it's weight in the SPP H. When trying to blend the UV with other colors the rest of the colors are over powering. Which reduces the overall output even more than the SPP Q to gain that larger color palette. It's making the quad look much better, but everything could change once I see those lights in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »

Quad (RGBA)

Hex (RGBAW+UV)

Mike
I was in a similar situation, but recently went with the SlimPar Pro H USB.  The added flexibility of HEX has been great so far.  I'm usually not going for "beams" of light so the wider angle works well for me.  They still make great up lights. The Hex has allowed me to do any color the client wants (ambers and pastels...no problem).  The yoke design is way nicer then anything else I've seen at the price point.  I'm really glad I didn't go RGBA.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »

Jeff you really hit the nail on the head with this post. Literally everything that you're saying has been a thought in my mind. I've got access to a demo of most of the Chauvet lights so I'll be going next week to check some of those out. I'm hoping that it's a no brainer after switching them on.
 Since my original post I've heard that the UV section isn't really worth it's weight in the SPP H. When trying to blend the UV with other colors the rest of the colors are over powering. Which reduces the overall output even more than the SPP Q to gain that larger color palette. It's making the quad look much better, but everything could change once I see those lights in person.

Great!  Once in a while I say something useful...  But yes, I'm going through the same thing albeit at a possibly slower pace.  Like you, I also have other investments on the table for consideration this year and with how quickly these units are still evolving I've been trying to put the purchase off as long as I can too.  Please follow up with how your demo goes!

I'm not sure if the argument that adding more colors takes away from the others is always valid though.  Some colors might mask others from a visual standpoint, but I don't think there's a set wattage that must be divided to all the colors present.  Similar to sound but for different reasons, wattage isn't a definite indicator of output nor is it always an apples to apples comparison when trading off units.  Some will say 10w RGBAW LEDs, others 12w RGBAW+UV LEDs...  It really depends. There's also no guarantee that the LEDs will be driven to their full output capability (to help prolong fixture life and minimize failures).  A better way is to predict performance is to look at the photometrics when available.  Even still, it can be hard to compare since beam/field angle plays a big part in this. 

As an example, the Elation SIXPAR 300 has a similar illuminance as the Fuze Par Z60, though that's comparing a 15 degree beam to a 7 degree beam.  So...despite the homogeneous beam and even field from the Z60, I'd expect the SIXPAR to be an overall brighter fixture despite the fact it's output won't be as even.  However...those numbers are with all colors at full.  If you only need white with a bit of red and green, it's quite possible that the Z60 will overtake the SIXPAR.  That said, the illuminance also really deteriorates with any of these COB fixtures as the beam angle widens.  It really all comes down to what you intend to use the fixtures for.  The SIXPARs might also be an option for you if you haven't checked them out already.  Having that demo will be by far the most valuable experience to you though.

At least in my case, it's whether or not I want these lights to be FOH friendly.  If I just need uplights, eye candy, generic-use units that might see front fill application on small shows, than in my opinion it's hard to justify more than the SlimPar Pro or SIXPAR-level fixtures...MAYBE Fuze or Colorado Solo Series, but that's pushing it.  If I want an LED unit that can replace my 1kw Par 64s and 700w CMY movers on front fill duty, we're at a whole new level of fixture now and I'd better be ready to pay for that.     

I know that being a professional we want to use the higher level gear, but at the same time more than likely no one will know/care/appreciate you bringing Broadway-class fixtures to their event nor would they be willing to pay the price to justify those.  I have yet to see an eye candy pixel grid built with ETC Source 4 LEDs, and even then, it'd be a complete waste of the fixtures!  In my case what I'll probably end up doing is splitting the difference - get a few dozen of the lower end LEDs for generic use and run my halogen/discharge rig a little longer while the upper end of LED fixtures gets better and cheaper.  It's hard to say though, but hopefully this helps add food for thought with your purchase!

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »

This has been a good thread for me. I've been searching for a low cost (150ish) light, for speaker mounting as a front wash. I want about a 30 deg beam angle, and it must have amber. I like the look of the COB's, but the ones with amber are expensive.

After looking at all of these lights I stumbled across the ADJ Hex 5. A 30 deg beam, with RBGAWU, for $135 (B stock). Probably not the brightest in this style, but I don't need it to be.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »

I have found this thread to be very interesting.  I had 24 Slim Par Pro Quad's on the upstage truss (replacing 60 1K Pars) and my LD wanted something with "richer" colors.  There were some shades of color using gels on 1K pars that she just couldn't duplicate with the leds.  The Slim pars looked good and were plenty bright, but . . . 

So I purchased a different brand of RGBAW+Uv thinking this would solve the problem.  It really didn't.  When we loaded the profile into the Hog we knew why.  They really don't do the colors she wants even with the added Uv, so I'm shopping again.  Visually check the colors actually produced before you purchase.

I have one other interesting finding.  The 12 X 10W (or 12W or 15W) leds were actually be to bright on my rig.  We always have to dim them down.  These are used on an XTX 32 portable stage, so they don't fly at 25' or 30' in the air and that makes a difference.  I'm checking into some 6 x 12W and 7 X 15W hex instruments.  These may be plenty bright.  I'm still in the research stage comparing colors!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 11:15:44 PM »

This has been a good thread for me. I've been searching for a low cost (150ish) light, for speaker mounting as a front wash. I want about a 30 deg beam angle, and it must have amber. I like the look of the COB's, but the ones with amber are expensive.

After looking at all of these lights I stumbled across the ADJ Hex 5. A 30 deg beam, with RBGAWU, for $135 (B stock). Probably not the brightest in this style, but I don't need it to be.

Yeah, that's been quite the trick - finding something with decent colors and output that also isn't too expensive to be practical. If I read correctly from the Front Lighting thread that you're only running 70w lamps in your 38s, I would think the ADJ Hex 5 would be a pretty reasonable match.  The photometrics aren't too impressive, but from your pictures you probably wouldn't need much more.  Two things come to mind - I'm not sure if these have fans (if that's a big deal for you), and they use IEC power linking.  The SlimPar Pros have Edison outs, which I find nice so that you won't have to stock the extra type of cable.

I have found this thread to be very interesting.  I had 24 Slim Par Pro Quad's on the upstage truss (replacing 60 1K Pars) and my LD wanted something with "richer" colors.  There were some shades of color using gels on 1K pars that she just couldn't duplicate with the leds.  The Slim pars looked good and were plenty bright, but . . . 

Do the 24 Slim Par Pro Quads really replace your 60 1k Pars (honest question), and if so, in which colors?  I'd think your LEDs will match or excel at the deeper colors, but would be really surprised if they could top the 1k Pars in light yellows and ambers.  How wide of a beam angle did those pars have?  I haven't A/B'd the lights you have against anything in my inventory, but just looking at the numbers I'd expect output closer to my 250w Par 38s.  Interesting point though, and I'm hoping to bring a 250w Par with me when I visit a few showrooms later this year.

I have one other interesting finding.  The 12 X 10W (or 12W or 15W) leds were actually be to bright on my rig.  We always have to dim them down...

And that's a whole other point that has yet to come up in this thread.  From my point of view, I don't mind dimming fill light as necessary to achieve the design I'm trying to create.  As long as the LED Pars have decent dimming characteristics, going darker isn't a problem.  When you spin the units around to blast the audience with eye candy effects, it's another story.  I think it's pointless to buy lights for that specific application that will always have to be dimmed...which is why I'm gravitating to the idea of getting 3-4 dozen of the smaller, lower-end (but decently professional) Pars like the SlimPar Pros or SIXPAR 100s for generic applications and then maybe 1-2 dozen of much higher output units for larger scale front fill when the time and cost effectiveness are right.  Fun stuff!

Don T. Williams

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »

Yeah, that's been quite the trick - finding something with decent colors and output that also isn't too expensive to be practical. If I read correctly from the Front Lighting thread that you're only running 70w lamps in your 38s, I would think the ADJ Hex 5 would be a pretty reasonable match.  The photometrics aren't too impressive, but from your pictures you probably wouldn't need much more.  Two things come to mind - I'm not sure if these have fans (if that's a big deal for you), and they use IEC power linking.  The SlimPar Pros have Edison outs, which I find nice so that you won't have to stock the extra type of cable.

Do the 24 Slim Par Pro Quads really replace your 60 1k Pars (honest question), and if so, in which colors?  I'd think your LEDs will match or excel at the deeper colors, but would be really surprised if they could top the 1k Pars in light yellows and ambers.  How wide of a beam angle did those pars have?  I haven't A/B'd the lights you have against anything in my inventory, but just looking at the numbers I'd expect output closer to my 250w Par 38s.  Interesting point though, and I'm hoping to bring a 250w Par with me when I visit a few showrooms later this year.

And that's a whole other point that has yet to come up in this thread.  From my point of view, I don't mind dimming fill light as necessary to achieve the design I'm trying to create.  As long as the LED Pars have decent dimming characteristics, going darker isn't a problem.  When you spin the units around to blast the audience with eye candy effects, it's another story.  I think it's pointless to buy lights for that specific application that will always have to be dimmed...which is why I'm gravitating to the idea of getting 3-4 dozen of the smaller, lower-end (but decently professional) Pars like the SlimPar Pros or SIXPAR 100s for generic applications and then maybe 1-2 dozen of much higher output units for larger scale front fill when the time and cost effectiveness are right.  Fun stuff!
Jeff, to answer your question, the 24 LED upstage light rig we use really has replaced the 60 1KPar64's, but as is the case with many things on this forum, it depends.  No, they can't look exactly like the 1K VNSP's and NSP's that were part of the "standard" regional lighting tech rider.  That rider usually ask for 60 1k's narrow's upstage and 60 1K's downstage, usually with MFL's in 3 or 4 colors and a mix of some narrow no-colors.  Just so you will know our LED front truss has 16 RGBA's and 8 AW's.

In terms of output I think the LED's are equal to 1K's with typical gels.  There are some colors that look better, and some as stated, that are harder to reproduce.  With the 1K Pars, usually only about 1/4 to 1/3 were ever on in a scene, again usually with 2 to 4 colors maximum.  With LEDs, because any instrument can be any color for any scene there are things that can be done that could never have been done with just 60 par cans.  It's not a copy of a conventional light plot, but has so far been acceptable and equivalent.  Like other thing in our industry, lighting has changed with the advent of new technology.  We have had to add a dozen (or two) movers to keep current, but you would probably need these with a conventional rig too.

I'm certain there may be band LD's that will not accept my LED rig, but I haven't had to use my 120K Par can rig in 5 or 6 years.  The LED's are acceptable and I could not be happier.  I am working the same size regional shows and level of acts that I have for more that 15 years (and yes I'm happy doing this level work).

I think you are on the right track with your plans.  Keep the forum informed on what you find that works well for you.

Don

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 07:46:30 PM »

Jeff, to answer your question, the 24 LED upstage light rig we use really has replaced the 60 1KPar64's, but as is the case with many things on this forum, it depends.  No, they can't look exactly like the 1K VNSP's and NSP's that were part of the "standard" regional lighting tech rider.  That rider usually ask for 60 1k's narrow's upstage and 60 1K's downstage, usually with MFL's in 3 or 4 colors and a mix of some narrow no-colors.  Just so you will know our LED front truss has 16 RGBA's and 8 AW's.

In terms of output I think the LED's are equal to 1K's with typical gels.  There are some colors that look better, and some as stated, that are harder to reproduce.  With the 1K Pars, usually only about 1/4 to 1/3 were ever on in a scene, again usually with 2 to 4 colors maximum.  With LEDs, because any instrument can be any color for any scene there are things that can be done that could never have been done with just 60 par cans.  It's not a copy of a conventional light plot, but has so far been acceptable and equivalent.  Like other thing in our industry, lighting has changed with the advent of new technology.  We have had to add a dozen (or two) movers to keep current, but you would probably need these with a conventional rig too.

I'm certain there may be band LD's that will not accept my LED rig, but I haven't had to use my 120K Par can rig in 5 or 6 years.  The LED's are acceptable and I could not be happier.  I am working the same size regional shows and level of acts that I have for more that 15 years (and yes I'm happy doing this level work).

I think you are on the right track with your plans.  Keep the forum informed on what you find that works well for you.

Don

Great information Don, thanks!  Yeah, I know it's never going to be a 1:1 equivalent - I just don't want to take a step backwards and compromise an "industry standard" rig for something that doesn't match up to what most are expecting, especially in output.  On the other side, as you mentioned, LEDs let us do various effects and looks that aren't easily possible with conventional lighting.  Back to what TJ said though, it's a question of where do you draw the line then?  Can I just be happy with a basic light, or for a little bit more I can have a zoom model, and for a little bit more I can have a moving wash...  I'll certainly follow up with my eventual purchase (probably closer to the autumn/winter timeframe given the other irons in the fire right now), but it's definitely a good discussion and food for thought!

Don T. Williams

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »

Great information Don, thanks!  Yeah, I know it's never going to be a 1:1 equivalent - I just don't want to take a step backwards and compromise an "industry standard" rig for something that doesn't match up to what most are expecting, especially in output.  On the other side, as you mentioned, LEDs let us do various effects and looks that aren't easily possible with conventional lighting.  Back to what TJ said though, it's a question of where do you draw the line then?  Can I just be happy with a basic light, or for a little bit more I can have a zoom model, and for a little bit more I can have a moving wash...  I'll certainly follow up with my eventual purchase (probably closer to the autumn/winter timeframe given the other irons in the fire right now), but it's definitely a good discussion and food for thought!
I'm asking Jeff and others on this thread.  Has a combination of intelligent profile spots and moving zoom wash lights become the "new standard" regional lighting rig?  Say about 10 of each with some "beam" lights for aerial effects thrown in?  Or, are band LD's bringing in their on "floor" package of movers (or asking the local vendor to supply them) and dealing with whatever else the local vendor might have for wash lighting?

The other trend I see for regional companies is a lot more bands without a LD and minimal lighting requirements.  I've stated on the forum before, my company is doing a lot more "racks and stacks" type audio gigs because of technology changes.  These acts usually depend on locally provided general lighting.  Physically small but powerful digital consoles and IEM systems that take up very little trailer (or bus) space have me leaving my consoles and wedges at home more and more.  Maybe it's just the size of the events I'm servicing, but this is the trend I'm seeing.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Phoenixx Neil

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »

Take a look at some ETC color source pars. ETC looks like they are trying to hit the lower end side of products for small gigs/companies/churches. They are "budget friendly" and as we all know, etc makes some great stuff. These color source pars are quad (RGBL [lime]) which they claim to have a better color gamut compared to LED fixtures with A or W.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »

I'm asking Jeff and others on this thread.  Has a combination of intelligent profile spots and moving zoom wash lights become the "new standard" regional lighting rig?  Say about 10 of each with some "beam" lights for aerial effects thrown in?  Or, are band LD's bringing in their on "floor" package of movers (or asking the local vendor to supply them) and dealing with whatever else the local vendor might have for wash lighting?

The other trend I see for regional companies is a lot more bands without a LD and minimal lighting requirements.  I've stated on the forum before, my company is doing a lot more "racks and stacks" type audio gigs because of technology changes.  These acts usually depend on locally provided general lighting.  Physically small but powerful digital consoles and IEM systems that take up very little trailer (or bus) space have me leaving my consoles and wedges at home more and more.  Maybe it's just the size of the events I'm servicing, but this is the trend I'm seeing.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Yeah, at least where I am (East-Central Florida) it's been a very mixed bag and basically "yes" to both of your questions.  I do a wide variety of events too - mostly corporate and municipal jobs, but I still get the occasional band.  That said, I can't remember the last time I sent out a system that didn't have movers in it.  Even for the corporate stuff - not only do the movers have the "modern look" that the clients are asking (and paying) for, but I've found I can do more with less of them.  I'll still throw in some conventional Pars as needed, but I would agree that the 120K rig is slowly giving way to a mixture of moving lights and LED eye candy.  Even though I've already started the transition to mostly moving light rigs, I still have yet to completely jump ship from the trusty halogen Par 64!  Maybe this year will be the year?  That's why I was curious to hear more about your Slim Par Pro Quads.  Regarding the movers though, 10 of each sounds about right so long as they're decently bright.  I usually group mine by 6s or 8s, but that's completely up to your design requirements and personal tastes.

I definitely agree that at least by me a lot more bands travel without an LD and have minimal lighting requirements.  In those cases, I design and operate the show myself so my inventory is completely at my disposal.  I'll put something together that looks nice and fits the venue and budget, and since I'm operating all my own equipment I can really make the most of it.  Even the bands that do travel with an LD usually sideline their own equipment when they see my inventory list and would rather pay to use it over what they normally have.  Now, keep in mind the bands I work with are mostly just regionally touring and don't have much along the lines of system outside of what you'd expect for a typical group of that size, so when faced with lighting an outdoor amphitheater they're quick to admit their Inno Spots aren't quite up to the task!  That, or once they see what an Inno Pocket Wash versus a Studio Beam looks like, the Inno Washes go away...  I've also done a number of Bring Your Own Board events - where the event sponsor hired a rig but not an operator, so the band/performers hire me as an LD to come in and busk the show live, usually with my own ETC console if I'm not familiar with what's provided.  Occasionally I'll supplement with a few of my own fixtures too, though it all depends on what we need.  Sometimes that's with a band, other times it's at a theater, but those are somewhat rare for me.

Hope that helps to answer your question Don!

Take a look at some ETC color source pars. ETC looks like they are trying to hit the lower end side of products for small gigs/companies/churches. They are "budget friendly" and as we all know, etc makes some great stuff. These color source pars are quad (RGBL [lime]) which they claim to have a better color gamut compared to LED fixtures with A or W.

Oh, I've taken a look at them and walked away every time.  For what they are, I would certainly not consider them to be budget friendly and while their colors are better than the generic LED Par, I don't feel they're a strong contender as a replacement or even really an upgrade in this case.  They have a use, and while I can't speak for Don or Michael, I can't see adding those into my system just yet.  Kind of like what I mentioned further up, if all I need to do is blast colors on a wall, build a pixel grid, or uplight a truss, these would be a waste to spend the extra money on.  A basic SlimPar would do the job nicely.  Case in point - even the light rig used during the Super Bowl Halftime Show this year had some Chauvet and ADJ sprinkled in with the larger Clay Paky and Vari-lite product!  It's all about using the right tool for the job.  At the same time, ColorSource Pars are not the direction I want to go for higher output front light (I want better beam control).  I also wouldn't want to take them outside.  For a small to medium sized indoor venue with the budget for nicer equipment I'd say they'd be a contender, but not for a generic multipurpose LED Par Can.   

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 10:46:16 PM »

Oh, I've taken a look at them (ETC Colorsource) and walked away every time.  For what they are, I would certainly not consider them to be budget friendly and while their colors are better than the generic LED Par, I don't feel they're a strong contender as a replacement or even really an upgrade in this case.  They have a use, and while I can't speak for Don or Michael, I can't see adding those into my system just yet.  Kind of like what I mentioned further up, if all I need to do is blast colors on a wall, build a pixel grid, or uplight a truss, these would be a waste to spend the extra money on.  A basic SlimPar would do the job nicely.  Case in point - even the light rig used during the Super Bowl Halftime Show this year had some Chauvet and ADJ sprinkled in with the larger Clay Paky and Vari-lite product!  It's all about using the right tool for the job.  At the same time, ColorSource Pars are not the direction I want to go for higher output front light (I want better beam control).  I also wouldn't want to take them outside.  For a small to medium sized indoor venue with the budget for nicer equipment I'd say they'd be a contender, but not for a generic multipurpose LED Par Can.   
I put in some Colorsource PAR deep blue fixtures at a church.  They're fine for what they are - a well made, simple light fixture with a decent color gamut.  They won't blow you away with brightness, but they are brighter than my SlimPAR Pro RGBAs.  They're not really a rock n roll fixture, and they're fairly large physically.  The Chauvet Rogue R1 wash was only about 30% more money than a Colorsource PAR, and movers are so handy it was hard for me to get excited about a static fixture.  As I mentioned above, I then talked myself into the R2 wash, which is something else entirely.

Most of the shows I see and do myself have a basic white PAR wash, usually conventional, and all the color comes from movers.  My SlimPARs generally are used as uplights for the backdrop and they work fine for that.

Don T. Williams

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »

Jeff, I'm with you on the ETC.  I'm sure it's a good product, but expensive and heavy.  Why buy one of them when I can get 3 or 4 other LED wash lights that 90% of the LD's (if there even is an LD) were just looking for 5 or 6 colors to complement the movers.  And Jeff, I do usually have a some movers for all the shows.  I've only had one group that ask us not to use them.  We all know a mover doesn't have to move to be a usable light.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »

I went from the Slimpar pros to the Colordash quad7 and hex7 for my events.
Improved quality of colors and higher frequency dimming has made my video folks happier.
They're smaller too.
I'm getting ready to try the Colorado Solo1 because of its zooming.

Full disclosure, I'm a Chauvet dealer.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »

We all know a mover doesn't have to move to be a usable light.

Oh absolutely.  I use a lot of mine as point-able stage lights.  I should also add that once in a while fan noise can be a concern with using movers, particularly in a theatrical environment, but otherwise they're a good tool that can easily do the job of several conventional lights combined. 

I went from the Slimpar pros to the Colordash quad7 and hex7 for my events.
Improved quality of colors and higher frequency dimming has made my video folks happier.
They're smaller too.
I'm getting ready to try the Colorado Solo1 because of its zooming.

That's an interesting point.  The zoom is something I'd like to have if possible, really just as a wide-angle option that doesn't require a lens change and that can also add some movement if necessary.  If you demo one against your Colordash units, let us know what you think!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.