ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S6L .. Stereo Input ... compressor triggered by left side  (Read 3061 times)

Brad Harris

S6L .. Stereo Input ... compressor triggered by left side
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »

On a S6L this weekend, and noticing something annoying ...

Stereo Input channel, built in compressor engaged.

The Key to the compressor is only triggered by the left side. Is this is bug, or am I doing something wrong?

BRad

Roland Clarke

Re: S6L .. Stereo Input ... compressor triggered by left side
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 03:55:33 AM »

On a S6L this weekend, and noticing something annoying ...

Stereo Input channel, built in compressor engaged.

The Key to the compressor is only triggered by the left side. Is this is bug, or am I doing something wrong?

BRad

Are you forced to use the key?  If not the detector should be running both channels; also, are you sure that it is physically only detecting from left input?

Of course you can use a buss compressor or another plugin after the channel strip or are you saying all plugins follow the same protocol.  Back in the day of linked mono compressors the detection circuit would be the left channel and the second channel would slave.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 08:26:42 AM »

Back in the day of linked mono compressors the detection circuit would be the left channel and the second channel would slave.

Except the dbx165 which had a closely matched pair of VCAs in every device and the audio from the second device of a stereo pair was routed through the second VCA in the first unit.

Mac

Brad Harris

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »

Are you forced to use the key?  If not the detector should be running both channels; also, are you sure that it is physically only detecting from left input?

Key is set to Self (default). How else do you tell the compressor to compress?

If you unplug the signal from the left side, the compressor is unresponsive.

Of course you can use a buss compressor or another plugin after the channel strip or are you saying all plugins follow the same protocol.  Back in the day of linked mono compressors the detection circuit would be the left channel and the second channel would slave.

Defeats the whole purpose of a built in compressor ..... Were in 2017, not 1987 ....

Can't say about the rest of the architecture of the console, but I would hope if you have a stereo In/Out that anything you apply ("built in" or plugin) would affect the whole channel in an equal (or ish for "Drawmer" styled compression) fashion.

BRad

Brad Harris

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »

Played around a bit this morning before we hit more SC

It meters off the Left channel, but affects both, and can be used on a Right only signal

BRad

Roland Clarke

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:53:31 PM »

Except the dbx165 which had a closely matched pair of VCAs in every device and the audio from the second device of a stereo pair was routed through the second VCA in the first unit.

Mac

A very strange beast!  I was never a fan of them, was an ok compressor, but expensive and not very universal.  Certainly not the legend the dbx160 was.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »

A very strange beast!  I was never a fan of them, was an ok compressor, but expensive and not very universal.  Certainly not the legend the dbx160 was.

I think it was the best compressor I've ever used. Expensive, yes, but better sounding than anything else I had access to at the time, and that included dbx160s. The 160 became ubiquitous because it was inexpensive and sounded good.

Mac

Roland Clarke

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »

I think it was the best compressor I've ever used. Expensive, yes, but better sounding than anything else I had access to at the time, and that included dbx160s. The 160 became ubiquitous because it was inexpensive and sounded good.

Mac

Where I wouldn't describe the dbx160 as high quality, it very definitely has a sound that in my personal opinion is extremely usable.  For me the 165 was reasonable transparent, but could "chatter" on the detector side with sources it didn't like.  I prefer for less audible compression the continuous gentle sloping style like the tla100 from summit. 

Interesting how we all have differing pov on the same piece of kit.  Of course in this day and age, seamless, artifact free compression is easy with the plethora of good digital devices.

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »

Bug logged! glad it's just the metering..!

Played around a bit this morning before we hit more SC

It meters off the Left channel, but affects both, and can be used on a Right only signal

BRad
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.