ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Linksys WRT wireless access points for board control  (Read 1408 times)

Mike Sullivan

Using Linksys WRT wireless access points for board control
« on: March 14, 2017, 08:43:18 pm »

Is anyone using the newer Linksys WRT routers, the WRT1200, WRT1900, or the WRT3200?  I owned a WRT54G forever and absolutely loved it, it was rock solid and was used on everything from at home to mixing on iPad with my old Presonus and now my Behringer/Midas setup, but it bit the dust this year when I accidentally plugged the wrong power supply in and ended up frying it.  So now I'm looking for a replacement to add into my rack, with hopefully better range & the ability to WiFi repeat, which will allow me to pass through internet from either my phone/hotspot or from the venue so I don't have to switch WiFi on and off (I was able to do this with two routers linked together using DD-WRT software previously) and it looks like the WRT1900 that I'm looking at has the ability built in, as well as support for DD-WRT as well.  And at $145 on Newegg it's a pretty good deal considering the newer version (the WRT3200) is around $235, plus 1900Mbit is plenty for anything I'd ever need.  I'm working on purchasing a JBL SRX800 system with HiQNet so I can add a network switch in at some point and completely network the entire system through one wireless network.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Andrew Hollis

Re: Using Linksys WRT wireless access points for board control
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:33:39 pm »

If wireless-G worked for you before, then wireless-AC will certainly do the job. Although I've found 5 GHz to have subjectively less-range.

I personally don't see any reason to spend more than $100 on a wireless AP, however.

No wireless AP currently available will give you more than 900 Mbps, no matter what's printed on the box. Most audio control uses peanuts data; I've not seen anything >50 Mbps.

www.smallnetbuilder.com is a great site for spending too much time on this stuff.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:40:24 pm »

If wireless-G worked for you before, then wireless-AC will certainly do the job. Although I've found 5 GHz to have subjectively less-range.

I personally don't see any reason to spend more than $100 on a wireless AP, however.

No wireless AP currently available will give you more than 900 Mbps, no matter what's printed on the box. Most audio control uses peanuts data; I've not seen anything >50 Mbps.

www.smallnetbuilder.com is a great site for spending too much time on this stuff.

50M for control data for a mixer board?  Never seen anything even approaching 10% of that.  Speed doesn't matter, it's all about latency.

2.4Ghz is unusable in any crowded building.  You can play tricks by not broadcasting the SID but it's just a stop gap.  5Ghz is the way to go and you have to have line of site.  All the talk out power means nothing if it can't hear the return path.

The chipset performance between the consumer routers and AP's is pretty minimal at the $100 so I agree.  A good MIMO AP is just over $100.  Even with all of this the wireless will fail at the most inconvenient time.  It's a real tradeoff and you have to have a hard wired PC up by the mixer as a lifeline if you are running a surfaceless console. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:19:50 pm »

I currently use a WRT1900 and am happy with it. I don't use any of the advanced features you are considering though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:19:50 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.