ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voltage sag solution?  (Read 15809 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Voltage sag solution?
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »

I threw out the Milbank option as just that another option.  I spent a couple days at Milbank's facility in Kansas City and was impressed at their desire to offer a solid value solution.  They didn't really want to be the cheapest solution-rather be the the best value.  Their transfer switches are using PC boards made in the USA.  They are better know in the electrical industry-metering and service equipment are their mainstay, generators/transfer switches an obvious extension.  I have to admit I was surprised to see a rack of Mackie amps apparently being used to power heaters in the "hot room" of their UL certified testing lab.

I'm not selling them (unless you live within 30 miles of my zip!)-just wanted to give a nod to a US manufacturer that appears to be trying to do the right thing by its customers.

Someone has to keep Honda on their toes :)!
Steve Swaffer

David Allred

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »

QSC has 3 amp draw ratings for the PLX series.  240v, 120v, & 100v.  Does that mean that the same amp can be wired for any of the 3 voltages?. If so, does that mean that if wired for 120v that is will operate down to 100v?  Is there some country that has 100v as their normal (nominal) voltage?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:55:14 PM by David Allred »

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »

QSC has 3 amp draw ratings for the PLX series.  240v, 120v, & 100v.  Does that mean that the same amp can be wired for any of the 3 voltages?. If so, does that mean that if wired for 120v that is will operate down to 100v?  Is there some country that has 100v as their normal (nominal) voltage?

I just talked to QSC about their PLX series, and their applications guy Chris confirmed that its input voltage is internally auto-switching, so it should work with anything from 100 to 240 volts automatically. However, be aware that as the supplied power voltage goes down, the current draw will go up proportionately (There's No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - TNSTAAFL) which will create even more of a voltage sag. A race to the bottom, as it were...  As long as you don't have anything else voltage dependent on the line (guitar amps, keyboards, desktop computers, etc...) it shouldn't hurt anything, except for your reputation when the system mutes.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:38:30 PM by Mike Sokol »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 05:39:06 PM »

If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster

I've now stolen this for my sig, thanks Ivan.

As far as I know it is better to get a VA rating for your generator than trusting the pure A output since one shows power(which is more important to us that current) and the other purely shows current at the set voltage.

Also something to consider is that the PLX likely has a switch mode power supply with no conditioning so it is drawing more power at the genny then it is using due to harmonics generated by the power supply, although this is probably negligible it is important to consider if you are operating at close to max power. Maybe just limit that amps a bit harder preventing them from drawing as much power should you believe you are close to running out of juice.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 12:46:08 AM »

Is there some country that has 100v as their normal (nominal) voltage?

Japan.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 12:46:08 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.