ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Voltage sag solution?  (Read 15812 times)

David Allred

Re: Voltage sag solution?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 07:03:44 AM »

For those following along: reading between the lines, I believe this "predator invertor" is a generator sold by Harbor Freight Tools.

Ding Ding Ding.  I figured that everyone here would know that it is a clone of the Honda EU2000. 

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »

For those following along: reading between the lines, I believe this "predator invertor" is a generator sold by Harbor Freight Tools.

Here it is.... Looks like a Honda clone at half the price. While this might work for your gig, I've tested a similar clone that one of the guys in my shop bought for his RV. It worked, but was way louder than my EU2000i and didn't do nearly as well on peak loads. That is, the clone would reset itself on a shout through the PA system, which would cause the speakers to mute for a second. But the Honda never muted with the same amplifiers. So those are "optimistic" watts... If you want to invest in something to do outside gigs, just get a Honda Inverter. You'll be able to cross rent the Honda as well.

David Allred

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 09:45:31 AM »

Here it is.... Looks like a Honda clone at half the price. While this might work for your gig, I've tested a similar clone that one of the guys in my shop bought for his RV. It worked, but was way louder than my EU2000i and didn't do nearly as well on peak loads. That is, the clone would reset itself on a shout through the PA system, which would cause the speakers to mute for a second. But the Honda never muted with the same amplifiers. So those are "optimistic" watts... If you want to invest in something to do outside gigs, just get a Honda Inverter. You'll be able to cross rent the Honda as well.

The comparison spec that he sent me showed the Predator being 2db louder 61 vs 59.  The Predator rates itself as 15-ish amps continuous, I only need 11A at peek draw. 

Mike Sokol

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »

The comparison spec that he sent me showed the Predator being 2db louder 61 vs 59.  The Predator rates itself as 15-ish amps continuous, I only need 11A at peek draw.

It could very well work for your application. So if they're providing one see if you can do an experiment with it before the actual gig. I hate first-time experiments in front of the client and the crowd.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »

I have been looking hard at getting on of these for myself-mainly because I am set up as a servicing dealer and the specs look pretty good.  These are made by Briggs & Stratton.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cesco-content/unilog/Batch10/784572/64826-AttachmentURL.pdf
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »

FWIW, I've seen other off brands of this particular generator sold on Amazon and other places. (The plastic and configuration is identical; only the color and the name on the side differs.) Of course, these aren't MADE by Harbor Freight, they're made by a foreign manufacturer (probably Asian).

Several years ago, Cummins tried to get into the weekend-warrior generator market with a ~6000W peak generator. They negotiated a manufacturing agreement with an Asian manufacturer, and labeled them with the Onan name. (This is not the same as the Onan generators placed in RVs.) I don't remember what the US retail price was. They proved to be so unreliable that they ended up taking the remaining inventory off the market and selling them to employees for cost because they feared paying out more in warranty claims than what they gained in profits. Their cost from the Asian manufacturer was somewhere around $50. (I have an acquaintance I consider authoritative who told me this.)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Predator generator is a similar "value." It has only a 90 day warranty.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Predator generator is a similar "value." It has only a 90 day warranty.

My dad has a Honda EX1000 generator (non-inverter) which he's used for maybe 30 years with his camper to recharge the batteries. In all that time I've only had the clean the carburetor out ONE TIME. Every fall we run the gas out of it and change the oil. In the spring we would put gas back in it, and it would start on the second or third pull with a little choke. We change the air filter every few years since he maybe puts a few dozen hours on it per camping season. I've now inherited it, but it's a Honda and will probably last another 30 years with regular maintenance.   

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »

Specs, schmecs.  Don't be a schmuck.  These things are lower quality knock-offs.

IME, the cheaper copies post an SPL close enough to suggest near parity with the Honda, but further investigation rells you they were taking their measurements at a greater distance.

Likewise, the 15 amps continuous is debatable, albeit more likely than the claimed SPL.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 05:03:41 PM »

Keep in mind, with regards to the "death adapter" comment.  You might say, "Duh, we'd always unplug both connectors for safety."  This may or may not be reasonable-but 175' away where the cords are plugged into the receptacle it might not be obvious that the 2 cords are "Y'd" together-so unsuspecting person unplugs one cord-seeing nothing bad happen, they plug in their personal electronic device to recharge it, leaving a hot prong laying there for an unsuspecting person to grab onto.

When dealing with safety, it is easy to defend against reasonable things you expect to happen.  Unfortunately, to be effective you have to defend against the things that no one would ever do because it defies reason to do so-but someone will eventually dream up some reason they should be the ones to defy common sense.

This is why I say there is no such thing as 'Idiot-proof' only 'Idiot resistant'!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 09:25:44 PM »

The comparison spec that he sent me showed the Predator being 2db louder 61 vs 59.
Is there a "standard" for noise levels for generators?

Such as -at what distance?

Under what load?

What weighting?

All of these can make a HUGE difference in the "simple numbers".

Just like loudspeakers.  If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 09:25:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.