ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Voltage sag solution?  (Read 15887 times)

David Allred

Voltage sag solution?
« on: March 14, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »

How much, if any, would this double run and combiner scenario help?

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Voltage sag solution?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »

That's at least two code violations off the top of my head. #1) You can't parallel conductors that small. and #2) The Y-Cable doing the combine function will have an energized male plug if one of them pulled out while the other is connected. There's not an inspector on the planet that would allow this to fly. (At least I hope not).

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »

So you're proposing to use a death adapter?  Just use higher gauge cable and do it right.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »

Hey bubba watch this.... :-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »

I just ran the voltage drop calculation using the max rating of 16 awg copper (10A).  Over this distance you're looking at 14.05v drop or 11.71%.  If you use 12 awg then you'll drop 4.36%.  10 awg puts you under 3%.  If you're pulling more than 10A then with 16 awg you're doing it wrong to begin with.  Like I said above, get the right tool for the job.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »

If by chance you plugged that into an outlet that was split into two circuits with one of those circuits on a different phase that could get interesting till the moment the circuit breakers trip or the cord burst into flames.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »

That's at least two code violations off the top of my head. #1) You can't parallel conductors that small. and #2) The Y-Cable doing the combine function will have an energized male plug if one of them pulled out while the other is connected. There's not an inspector on the planet that would allow this to fly. (At least I hope not).

And if you happen to plug in to opposite poles or different phases, then the light show starts. (Well, the breaker should trip. But there will be a nice, healthy arc, burned contacts, and a damaged plug and receptacle.)

(EDIT: I was writing this as Mike Caldwell was writing his post. He beat me to the post.)

If I was told I could plug in to this setup, I would refuse. I might even mercilessly yank out the death adapter and cut it into tiny little pieces. Or I might just walk away and refuse to be a part of a show where safety is of no concern.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:35:20 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »

If you only have 16AWG cable available, rather than trying to parallel and combine them, just split your equipment so half of it is connected to the first cord and the other half is connected to the second cord. Much, much safer.

If you're using a power sequencer, you'll have to manually sequence your equipment.

The scenario of having only 16AWG cable to run that distance is a symptom of poor planning. If, for example, this was a wedding and you DID advance the show with an onsite visit, and by the day of the event the coordinator decided to have the ceremony in a different location without informing you, and suddenly you need more extension cords and the only ones available are the orange cords they scrounged from the barn, that is THEIR problem, not YOURS.

"But the show must go on!" Not at the expense of safety. Either you move to a location closer to power, you reduce your load to meet the capacity of the cabling, or you delay the event until you can get proper power.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 01:08:25 PM »

Please explain #1.

David Allred

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »

If by chance you plugged that into an outlet that was split into two circuits with one of those circuits on a different phase that could get interesting till the moment the circuit breakers trip or the cord burst into flames.
That of course, would have been checked, but the image shows 120v only.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.