ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubiqity Bullet issues solved  (Read 12050 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Ubiqity Bullet issues solved
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »

Networking is not my thing and beyond a basic home network, I am out of my depth so it has been quite frustrating trying to get the 5 gig Ubuqity Bullet to work as I want.
 It should be able to be setup in such a way to be able to plug it in, set an IP on the device under control and JUST WORK....all the time...EVRY TIME!!
Before anyone offers the "well it was easy for me" or the "all you have to do is ...." I tried all the suggestions I could find with no reliable, repeatable success.
Finally, I set it up in bridge mode, gave it a static IP address and tried it on a variety of devices. All I need to do is set the device under control, and the control device, to the IP address within the group.
Now it connects reliably to my laptops and iPad and tested good for controlling the consoles, processors and wireless receivers I want.

As a side note, I tried to get the Ubiquity and my Apple Airport Express to work on the same variety of devices. Seems to me they should be able to be setup to do the same thing but the Express would not work on the Yamaha console.

Now I just need to try it out the Ubiquity on gigs 'cause you all know that the stuff that works in the shop can, magically, fail on a gig  ::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Ubiqity Bullet issues solved
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »

Keith, thanks for sharing your experience.  I have read quite a bit about the Ubiquiti access points on this Forum.  I have actually hired a local IT guy to come in and setup the network for us.  After reading other people's experiences and frustrations I figure it will be easier than me getting pissed off and calling him later.  Anyway, I do have a question, which is open to anyone, why the Ubiquiti Bullet rather than something else in their line?  Our shows are usually in the 1,000 - 3,000 person range although we do have a couple that are in the 10,000 person range.   My guys is suggesting two of the UAP-AC-M-PRO, one for FoH and one for Monitor World. 

Congrats on getting yours up and running.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »

Networking is not my thing and beyond a basic home network, I am out of my depth so it has been quite frustrating trying to get the 5 gig Ubuqity Bullet to work as I want.
 It should be able to be setup in such a way to be able to plug it in, set an IP on the device under control and JUST WORK....all the time...EVRY TIME!!
Before anyone offers the "well it was easy for me" or the "all you have to do is ...." I tried all the suggestions I could find with no reliable, repeatable success.
Finally, I set it up in bridge mode, gave it a static IP address and tried it on a variety of devices. All I need to do is set the device under control, and the control device, to the IP address within the group.
Now it connects reliably to my laptops and iPad and tested good for controlling the consoles, processors and wireless receivers I want.

As a side note, I tried to get the Ubiquity and my Apple Airport Express to work on the same variety of devices. Seems to me they should be able to be setup to do the same thing but the Express would not work on the Yamaha console.

Now I just need to try it out the Ubiquity on gigs 'cause you all know that the stuff that works in the shop can, magically, fail on a gig  ::)

Keith,
I share your frustration.  I had a heck of a time getting my Bullet set up as well. Having to research which frequencies you can and can't use, was maybe my biggest hurdle.  Of course after the fact I found various setup guides around the internet that ended up being the same process I used to get mine going. 

One thing I wish, is that you could force the DHCP server in the thing to dole out IP's when in bridge mode.  I am sure our specific use case is limited, whereas there would normally be some other DHCP server on the network. I know the EnGenious stuff does allow for this with some crafty manual URL entries.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »

why the Ubiquiti Bullet rather than something else in their line?
The fact that you can connect whatever antenna you want and fits reasonably well in my briefcase.

One thing I wish, is that you could force the DHCP server in the thing to dole out IP's when in bridge mode. 
Agreed! I don't see a way of doing this.
I forgot to mention I setup a group  of channel frequencies for it to use and had to set to a narrower channel.

So far...so good.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:33:35 PM by Keith Broughton »

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »

...and had to set to a narrower channel..

Keith, 20MHz instead of 40MHz, correct? Also disabled airMAX?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Ubiqity Bullet issues solved
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »

I admit I know just enough about networking to be dangerous. So my question is:
What is bridge mode and why is that the mode it should be used in?
My Nano station is in some mode (router maybe?) where it has a static ip but still has dhcp and gives out ip's to its wifi network.

I agree that it's default setup does not work and has to be changed (frequencies I believe) to work with my iPad. Odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 04:18:01 PM »

Andrew, I am in the same boat in regards to networking understanding.  However,It is my understanding as the bullet has just one network port, in bridge mode, that one port is on the same local area network as devices that connect through the wireless side, and no mater what side of the access point, wired or wireless, you see everything.  In router mode, the single port is acting as a WAN port, where you would typically plug into the internet, with a router in between it and the rest of your wireless network. Therefor communication between the wired and the wireless side, as we typically set up our networks does not happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:01:18 AM »

Keith, 20MHz instead of 40MHz, correct? Also disabled airMAX?
Correct. I also found that setting up a "frequencies to use" list helped speed up wireless connectivity.

David explained it well.
Bridge mode would not be suitable for a network that is connected to the internet as the internet side and the local network side usually need different IP address ranges.
For something like console control, I see no reason that the wired side and wireless side cannot be in the same IP range.
DHCP would be handy (in the case of the Bullet)but there is a case to be made for networking in static IP ranges.
Some of the more experienced networking people might be able to add to this.

For me, it just works and that's what I need.
When I hook up to remote control something, I want it to function and not make me start some kind of networking trouble shooting session.
I'm not on the gig to be an IT person!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:13:27 AM by Keith Broughton »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »

I ended up with a Ubiquity AP outdoor 5.
I liked that it came with the diversity antennas included.
It was easy to set up and has worked great in our tests so far.
I'm making a post to mount it to my portable FOH table.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 08:04:14 AM »

So I have now had some gigs to try this out on and, like a useful tool should, plugs in and WORKS every time.
FINALLY!
I was very close to selling it out of frustration.
That said, when other techs see it, there are raised eyebrows and some "suggestion" of what it is. ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 08:04:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.