ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: PowerCON extensions and jumpers. . .SO or SJ?  (Read 7467 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
PowerCON extensions and jumpers. . .SO or SJ?
« on: March 10, 2017, 02:35:41 AM »

Seeing a lot of SJ cable PowerCON extension/jumper cords for sale. Need to buy or make a few. I assume these need to be SO to be meet code, or am I missing something?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

John Rutirasiri

Re: PowerCON extensions and jumpers. . .SO or SJ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »

Seeing a lot of SJ cable PowerCON extension/jumper cords for sale. Need to buy or make a few. I assume these need to be SO to be meet code, or am I missing something?

The "J" in SJ refers to "Junior" or cables with 300V-rated dielectric.  The "SO" without the "J" refers to 600V-rated cables with heavier jacket.
The common Neutrik NAC3FCA and NAC3FCB connectors are rated for 250VAC and 20A.  To my knowledge there isn't anything specific that says you need to use SJ or SO cables with PowerCon connectors.   The cable has to be of the sufficient gauge to handle the current draw.  I use 12/3 SJOOW cables.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

The "J" in SJ refers to "Junior" or cables with 300V-rated dielectric.  The "SO" without the "J" refers to 600V-rated cables with heavier jacket.
The common Neutrik NAC3FCA and NAC3FCB connectors are rated for 250VAC and 20A.  To my knowledge there isn't anything specific that says you need to use SJ or SO cables with PowerCon connectors.   The cable has to be of the sufficient gauge to handle the current draw.  I use 12/3 SJOOW cables.

John R.
The Cliff's Notes version is that if it's on the floor, it's supposed to be SOOW: NEC 520.68A(1) Conductors for Portables "Flexible conductors, including cable extensions, used to supply portable stage equipment shall be listed extra hard usage cords or cables."  SOOW is "Extra hard usage"; SJOOW is "Junior hard usage".

The article goes on to discuss exemptions to the extra-hard service rules, but the exemptions basically boil down to cables that are physically protected (off the ground), and short (less than 6.6' on the floor/less than 20' in the air).

That said, this is one of those grey areas, as Whirlwind sells UL-listed Powercon power distribution with SJOOW jumpers:

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/power-electrical-distribution/cables/nac3-length (if you look at the full-res picture you can read SJOOW on the cable)

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/power-electrical-distribution/stringers/pl1-420-wh

For additional background and reading:
https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/powercon-prices.41109/

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:17:43 AM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:26:59 AM »

Good to know, TJ...thank you.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »

The Cliff's Notes version is that . . .

Thanks dude, most helpful forum post I've read this year.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »

There has been past discussion here about this (I'm too lazy to look it up for you), and one of the sticking points is that 12 AWG SOOW cable apparently does not fit in the strain relief chuck of the PowerCON connectors. 14 AWG SOOW might fit, but then you're limited to 15A: you'll need upstream overcurrent protection set at 15A.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:49 PM »

There has been past discussion here about this (I'm too lazy to look it up for you), and one of the sticking points is that 12 AWG SOOW cable apparently does not fit in the strain relief chuck of the PowerCON connectors. 14 AWG SOOW might fit, but then you're limited to 15A: you'll need upstream overcurrent protection set at 15A.
I have at least a dozen 12-3 SOOW Powercon jumpers.  Most of mine are Coleman cable brand and they fit fine.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »

I have vague memories of this thread too.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 02:30:38 PM »

I've got some PowerCON ends on the way, and some 12/3SOOW. . .I'll let you know. According to spec it would all go together fine. . .
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 03:20:57 PM »

IIRC the blue and white PowerCON connectors will take the 12/3 SO with some persuasion.  The PowerCON True1 will only take 12/3 SJOOW. The SOOW does not fit. Heaven knows I have tried.  I too wish Neutrik would come out with a slightly larger collar to accommodate the SOOW.

TJ I'll have to look at the Coleman SOOW. Fortunately I'm very much in the lounge level too. I can't recall ever seeing an AHJ. But I'd much rather be code compliant none the less.

Here's the link to the previous post regarding the True1 connector
Neutrik True1
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:49:45 PM by Ed Hall »
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »

IIRC the blue and white PowerCON connectors will take the 12/3 SO with some persuasion.  The PowerCON True1 will only take 12/3 SJOOW. The SOOW does not fit. Heaven knows I have tried.  I too wish Neutrik would come out with a slightly larger collar to accommodate the SOOW.

TJ I'll have to look at the Coleman SOOW. Fortunately I'm very much in the lounge level too. I can't recall ever seeing an AHJ. But I'd much rather be code compliant none the less.
That is a good point to mention - all my Powercon equipment is blue/white.  I have no True1.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »

Yep, all of mine is Carol SOOW and blue/white and with sufficient "persuasion" (and a little lubrication) they'll go together.  I did get some other cable once that was just enough thicker that it didn't want to go.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 02:06:18 PM »

The True One work with 12-3 SJOOW or 14-3 SOOW. Both with a fairly high level of difficulty.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »

The True One work with 12-3 SJOOW or 14-3 SOOW. Both with a fairly high level of difficulty.

I've talked to my Neutrik contact about this, and he confirms that Neutrik has no plans to design a special collet that would accommodate 12-3 SOOW. That's likely because in Europe (and other 230-volt countries) there's really no need for a 20-amp extension cord. In the 120-volt USA we need all of 20 amperes most of the time.

John Fruits

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »

I wonder if Marinco could build a larger collett model.
http://www.marincopowerproducts.com/en/20ampconnector#Connector
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »

I've talked to my Neutrik contact about this, and he confirms that Neutrik has no plans to design a special collet that would accommodate 12-3 SOOW. That's likely because in Europe (and other 230-volt countries) there's really no need for a 20-amp extension cord. In the 120-volt USA we need all of 20 amperes most of the time.
(sigh)
Is anyone else tired of the cross-pointing of fingers that the other side of the pond is "doing it wrong" (i.e., not MY way?).
[/wah]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.