ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With Identifying This Type Of Stage Lighting?  (Read 11991 times)

duane massey

Re: Help With Identifying This Type Of Stage Lighting?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 02:53:59 PM »

Your budget will determine what you can build. Building the letters is pretty straight-forward, especially if you are handy with a soldering iron. The complexity of the display will be your biggest determining factor. To duplicate what your video shows is probably well beyond the benefit. To build 6 letters that would chase individually and change colors would be relatively easy and not very expensive.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Stuart Murphy

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 09:15:58 AM »

http://ryanmuellercreative.com

Details are on their website.  Pixel-mapped LED.

Be warned, it looks like it could be a $200,000 prop.  :-)

Brilliant, thanks Lyle. I sent him a message - you never know! ;-)

Stuart Murphy

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 09:19:32 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Stu.

There are several companies that make metal LED lighted letters (signs) for outdoor advertising. Just drive down the Vegas strip and you'll see plenty. They incorporate addressable LED strips or curtains which can make the sign behave like a video screen. The ones in the Shania video look like they might even have little round diffuser lenses in front of each LED element, to make them appear larger. IDK.

Anyway, if that is well beyond your budget, you may try searching youtube for DIY video curtain to get insight on how it is done.

Good luck.

Thank you for the welcome Gordon, and helpful advice. I'll start trawling YTube and see what suits my thoughts on it. Perhaps LED video walls/curtain might be more effective for me to show clips as well as just lighting up letters.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 01:07:20 AM »

Thank you for the welcome Gordon, and helpful advice. I'll start trawling YTube and see what suits my thoughts on it. Perhaps LED video walls/curtain might be more effective for me to show clips as well as just lighting up letters.

LED panels and walls are still crazy expensive. You might want to consider video projection. You could make nice, fat white letters and video map images and colors on them. Still a lot of work but probably thousands cheaper.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Stuart Murphy

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 04:54:14 AM »

LED panels and walls are still crazy expensive. You might want to consider video projection. You could make nice, fat white letters and video map images and colors on them. Still a lot of work but probably thousands cheaper.

That's a fab suggestion Lance. I did initially figure if I wanted to have something that looked rather epic, it'd have to be something that I'd need to build/create myself, so as to keep the extreme costs down. I really don't have much of an idea about the tech you're suggesting here, much less know enough to make it a reality, so even though it might be a superb cheap option, if I can't build it, I presume it might leap up a bit into the expensive bracket for me? I do need our Shania tribute show to look the business re stage production, but I can't afford the top-end stuff of course. And I certainly don't have the expertise to build ALL of it.. Bits n pieces sure. Not the high tech side of it though. I'm still used to par cans!!! I also need to work out the rest of the light show too. About 2 hours worth, and as we use backing tracks run from a laptop, maybe I should invest in a computer-controlled central system of some type?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:41:44 AM by Stuart Murphy »

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »

That's a fab suggestion Lance. I did initially figure if I wanted to have something that looked rather epic, it'd have to be something that I'd need to build/create myself, so as to keep the extreme costs down. I really don't have much of an idea about the tech you're suggesting here, much less know enough to make it a reality, so even though it might be a superb cheap option, if I can't build it, I presume it might leap up a bit into the expensive bracket for me? I do need our Shania tribute show to look the business re stage production, but I can't afford the top-end stuff of course. And I certainly don't have the expertise to build ALL of it.. Bits n pieces sure. Not the high tech side of it though. I'm still used to par cans!!! I also need to work out the rest of the light show too. About 2 hours worth, and as we use backing tracks run from a laptop, maybe I should invest in a computer-controlled central system of some type?

To do video mapping you will need software like Resolume or Mad Mapper. That will show video on just the areas you have mapped (letters, in this case). How many projectors required will depend on the size of the letters and how spaced apart they are. You should be able to find decent enough projectors under $1k apiece. For comparison, even lower model 2'x2' lcd panels go for $1k apiece, not including controller modules. I would guess if you make the letters yourself, you could probably be all in for under 10k with video projection, easily into the tens of thousands with LCD panels. Hit YouTube up for video mapping, Mad Mapper & Resolume to get some ideas of what's involved.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Stuart Murphy

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »

To do video mapping you will need software like Resolume or Mad Mapper. That will show video on just the areas you have mapped (letters, in this case). How many projectors required will depend on the size of the letters and how spaced apart they are. You should be able to find decent enough projectors under $1k apiece. For comparison, even lower model 2'x2' lcd panels go for $1k apiece, not including controller modules. I would guess if you make the letters yourself, you could probably be all in for under 10k with video projection, easily into the tens of thousands with LCD panels. Hit YouTube up for video mapping, Mad Mapper & Resolume to get some ideas of what's involved.

Thanks Lance, I'll look up Youtube as you say. So with projectors, how many would I be looking at to replicate a hi-def bright screen across the back of the stage, if the width of the stage were, say 10 metres wide? If I had projectors in use, I might as well run large hi-def videos too while we play, to make it look a bit more flashy. Also, where do the projectors get mounted - on some sort of elevated mounts spaced around the drum kit or somewhere similar? Presumably they won't be floor mounted directly at the front of the stage as we'll be performing there? And what kind of spec or connectivity would I need the projectors to have?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:57:54 PM by Stuart Murphy »

Steve Garris

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »

Here's a self build, but very small stage sign that my friend built. It's just christmas lights built in to a wood frame. He has it DMX'd and midi to the light show. This guy rolls in and sets up this monster light show and huge PA at every gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fdNzXzDPc

Stuart Murphy

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 03:03:25 AM »

Here's a self build, but very small stage sign that my friend built. It's just christmas lights built in to a wood frame. He has it DMX'd and midi to the light show. This guy rolls in and sets up this monster light show and huge PA at every gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fdNzXzDPc

Awesome effort!

Stuart Murphy

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »

My friend is a university lecturer in AV stuff, and has played loads of pro gigs as a stage drummer in rock bands too. He's just let me know that projectors will be blown out almost completely by any stage lighting. I'm not sure which way to go now..! Does this meet with your experience?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.