ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classes  (Read 2659 times)

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Classes
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:07:36 AM »

My business partner and I run a medium sized production company. The way we started, I was the sound guy and he was the light guy, and we combined forces to start the business.

We have a great relationship and both contribute to the business equally in different ways. I've been starting to feel like I know quite a bit more about lighting than he does though. I've been giving him tips here and there.

We both work 40+ hour "day jobs", so finding the extra time to get into programming and setting things up between events is difficult. He's great at showing up when something is scheduled though.

Can you guys recommend any basic/intro lighting classes that he and I could go through together? I think scheduling something would be the most effective way for both of us to take it to the next level.

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
Re: Classes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:40:06 AM »

I'm thinking mostly things like 2-point and 3-point lighting, color mixing, color selection for faces, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Feenstra

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »

Realistically there's a myriad of free information on the internet that will get you started

there's also a bunch of classes offered at tradeshows like LDI
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:12:16 PM »

Yeah, I hear ya. I've been down that road. I'm just speaking this guy's language. If he goes to an event or class and hears it from someone other than me and learns some good stuff, I think he'll get fired up and run with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:19:11 PM »

Realistically there's a myriad of free information on the internet that will get you started

there's also a bunch of classes offered at tradeshows like LDI

I second this.  I've taken a few class before - well, was sponsored to take classes - and while they was interesting to an extent I can't really say they bettered me as a lighting designer.  I've taught classes before as well, though admittedly at the regional/community theater level and not the LDI level, and both as a teacher and a student I feel classes are best if you're trying to learn a very specific thing (console programming, setting up a specific media server, etc.).  I'd pay money for that if I think it's a skill I could use, but I don't want to pay to hear a lighting designer profess his/her idea of what good lighting should be.  As an aside, the classroom portion of my pyro training was probably the most interesting class I've ever taken. 

If you're looking for inspiration on your next design, try Youtubing various concerts, clubs, DJs, bands... and cherry pick the ideas that you like.  I've found that quite useful myself.  Lighting design is just as much an art as it is a skill.  Show him some TSO or Pink Floyd to get the creative juices flowing!  Hope this helps!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:19:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.