ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Which microphone  (Read 19535 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Which microphone
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 04:34:40 PM »

Because having a bunch of dissimilar mics on a stage, especially with traditional monitors, opens up a whole different set of problems.

Just like with instruments, what sounds best in solo, is not always what sounds best in a mix.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

But I think it behooves someone who's primary instrument is their voice to do what they can to strive for tone, balance and consistency.  I wouldn't recommend a pile of different vocal mics for the whole band, but the lead, yes.
I daresay that everyone else in the band has spend hours and bucks to achieve their desired tone, so why should the singer's tone be up to the random mic that is supplied by the provider.
I usually have a few available for the singer to try if they're into it.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 05:19:36 PM »

I don't get why people use the SM58, it sounds equally bad on all sources.
Nowadays I use d:facto unless people ask for anything else.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »

The most annoying thing is a band that has 4 different vocal mics, ranging from E815 to Neumann, just after you rang out all the monitors for SM58.
And guess what? The condensors get usually used once or twice in the whole set.

For a solo performer, with his/her own gear it can be every mic they want. Still i think it is a waste of time to go to a store, and try the mics there, because every venue you play has its own problems. If you don't want the provided SM58? Bring your own SM58.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »

I don't get why people use the SM58, it sounds equally bad on all sources.
Nowadays I use d:facto unless people ask for anything else.

Probably because it's been the go-to, most ubiquitous vocal mic for almost 50 years.  Familiarity & consistency over ride perceived 'quality'.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »

Don't be that singing drummer who allowed a salesman to sell him a blue encore 300.

Frankly, if you have to cut all the good out of a mic to get it to be usable you have the wrong tool, no matter how good it sounded in isolation at the store.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »

Probably because it's been the go-to, most ubiquitous vocal mic for almost 50 years.  Familiarity & consistency over ride perceived 'quality'.

I think it's just out of bad habit we do it.

Just look how much the rest of the signal chain has progressed over time.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 07:11:31 PM »

Beta 58?

Beta look elsewhere.

To expand... it isn't an upgrade, it is just different.

And like Dick, I hate em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 07:13:28 PM »

To expand... it isn't an upgrade, it is just different.

And like Dick, I hate em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Me too.  I think it's a Geezer Audio Services thing, actually.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »

I think it's just out of bad habit we do it.

Just look how much the rest of the signal chain has progressed over time.

I actually disagree.  In my experience, a whole load of mic's that people think sound better, generally don't under close scrutiny.  Listening to mic's individually often will lead to preferences that don't work as well when sat in a mix.  I can think of many great liver recordings I've heard where 58's and beta 58's are used along with a whole host of studio recordings where the lead vocal was recorded on a 58.

I work with a load of vocalists from those that are truly top class to those that are rough local talent.  In my experience, I've never had a problem getting a great vocal sound with a great vocalist on a 58.  Of course using great vocal mic's like a ksm9, Neumann 104, DPA, Sennheiser, etc, may sound even better, but these are all a good deal more expensive and not necessarily suitable for all stage situations.

If you start to compare the 58 with things like the ev Debbie mentioned above (I know that it is cheaper), and other mic's like the Sennheiser 835's and Audix om5, I genuinely find that they don't work as consistently well.

The fact that top live engineers and big pa companies that can afford to have any of the above sitting around still use the 58.  It's too simplistic to blame it on industry apathy.  In my experience better options do gain traction quickly in our industry as proven by dpa's penetration in theatre sound, Behringers X32 (particularly with their previous reputation), and a few other products to boot.

YMMV

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 07:19:12 PM »

Me too.  I think it's a Geezer Audio Services thing, actually.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 07:19:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 25 queries.