ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which microphone  (Read 19540 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Which microphone
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2017, 03:55:14 AM »

Semi-on topic:  Any suggestions as to "how many" of a given dynamic vocal mic should a lounge-level provider strive have in the arsenal?  Three of a kind?  Four?  (I have six each of the sm58, btw.)  I ask because I have various mics in sets of three; should I look to pick up "one more" in order to make my life easier by having four of a kind?  I know (thanks Ivan) that "it depends", but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I keep a stock of 3x EV 967s and 3x EV 767s, and a Beta-58a for if someone has to have a Shure mic. It never comes out of the pouch. I also keep a couple of Audio-Technica ATM710s for the nicer gigs where GBF isn't such an issue. They were coming up on eBay regularly for a while, but that seems to have died out a little.

Six vocal mics seems like a good place to be. I like being able to mix mine around a little - the 967s have a bit of a laserbeam pickup area, while the 767s are wider. If I need the GBF (lead singer, or near the main PA), I reach for the 967. If someone's playing guitar, they get a 767.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »

Semi-on topic:  Any suggestions as to "how many" of a given dynamic vocal mic should a lounge-level provider strive have in the arsenal?  Three of a kind?  Four?  (I have six each of the sm58, btw.)  I ask because I have various mics in sets of three; should I look to pick up "one more" in order to make my life easier by having four of a kind?  I know (thanks Ivan) that "it depends", but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I like to have things in multiples of 2, and most of my general purpose mics I have in multiples of 6. I have 12 SM57, 18 SM58, 6 Beta57, 6 Beta58, etc. Multiples of 6 fit nicely in my current workbox, but I standardized on 6 long ago. It really comes down to what you need. If you find yourself consistently running out of 81's or 57's or whatever, get a few more until you're comfortable with the number you have. Having 6 58's is a good place to start, and maybe that's all you'll ever need. 6 is a good number for me, and I have 6 or 12 of most of the mics in my kit.

For the record, I also dislike the Beta 58. Hate is maybe too strong a word, but it's definitely not my favorite mic. I only have them because they get asked for, although they work pretty well on trombone and tuba. I also don't particularly like SM57's, but they're one of those things you just gotta have. I don't have anything too unusual in my mic workbox. EV mics never show up on a rider, and if people want Heil/Neumann/Sennheiser/etc vocal mics they almost always have their own.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Steve Garris

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »

I've found the perfect quantity of 58's to be (5). I've never run short, and typically if there are any more than 5 singers the 6th member doesn't sing much, if at all.

Mal Brown

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »

My default frontline vocal mics are Audix OM-6's. I carry a few on-5's and a single 7.   I also carry 3 58's for those folks that simply have to have them.  Way more expensive than 58's I know but they sound really good on a wide range of voices.  The native tone of the 58 is not as detailed and it is harsh in comparison.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »

My default frontline vocal mics are Audix OM-6's. I carry a few on-5's and a single 7.   I also carry 3 58's for those folks that simply have to have them.  Way more expensive than 58's I know but they sound really good on a wide range of voices.  The native tone of the 58 is not as detailed and it is harsh in comparison.

My experience with the OM series is that they sound "covered" particularly when the singer is not directly on-axis with the mic.  If you have singers with consistent technique this is much less of a problem but for the rest, it's a toss up if the Audix helps or hurts.  Quality mics, but not for every voice or application, much like the Telefunken M-80.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »

EV mics never show up on a rider

A shame, IMO, because they're quite good. I've had singers go out and buy one after comparing to their '58.
Though at the level I'm at, I'm not serving riders so I can use whatever I like so long as it sounds good.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2017, 12:16:36 AM »

Thanks, gents. I pretty much think I have things covered adequately for the stuff I do. I'll look for one more good condition SM86 to add to my inventory.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2017, 12:16:36 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.