ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Which microphone  (Read 19800 times)

Justin Addison

Which microphone
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »

Hi all,

After your superb help in getting me sorted with a great PA set up, I am here again asking for advice.

I'm looking for a good vocal microphone - I've curently got a beaten up old SM58 but it still sounds good but looking to upgrade / replace and have that as a spare.

So, I've been looking at the Beta 58 (with the blue ring) and reviews are very good - if it's as strong as the SM58 it will last a long time.

For a similar price (£140-£160) is there any other brands / models that you would recomend I look at - and reasons why?

Looking forward to your responses...

Justin

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Which microphone
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »

Hi all,

After your superb help in getting me sorted with a great PA set up, I am here again asking for advice.

I'm looking for a good vocal microphone - I've curently got a beaten up old SM58 but it still sounds good but looking to upgrade / replace and have that as a spare.

So, I've been looking at the Beta 58 (with the blue ring) and reviews are very good - if it's as strong as the SM58 it will last a long time.

For a similar price (£140-£160) is there any other brands / models that you would recomend I look at - and reasons why?

Justin

If the SM58 sounds good to you, why are you looking to "upgrade" instead just getting a few more?.  The SM58 is an industry standard for good reason; extremely tough, lasts a lifetime  and absolutely everybody has used one at some point in their musical career.  Mics have sonic attributes that work very well for some folks yet could be horrible for others.  There is a sticky thread on this forum about mics where members have listed their inventory, what they like/dislike about certain models/brands and where they have found the most effective usage based on music style, voice etc. I would suggest to start your knowledge search there  first before buying anything.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »

Hey Justin, did you see this sticky post at the top of the lounge?  Lots of good discussion there.
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145848.0.html
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »

Hey Justin, did you see this sticky post at the top of the lounge?  Lots of good discussion there.
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145848.0.html

Thanks John.  I was just about to post the same link to help him along.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »

I strongly suggest that you test drive any mic before you buy.  The Beta 58 works great on some folks and is awful on others.  The SM58 is a great Swiss army knife mic - does a lot of things fairly well.

I am a bit of a Sennheiser fan and love the e935 and e945.  Give them a listen.  If you tell us where you are located, there might be a Labster near you that will let you try some mics for a few pints at the pub.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »

Beta 58?

Beta look elsewhere.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Ferreira

Which microphone
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:16:54 AM »

Hi all,

Justin

A few years back 3 of us were looking for the best mic and I decided to temporarily get around 10 mics to choose one.
I also had invited two friends that were also studio producers, and all of us tested those mics for several hours. At the time, our unanimous favourite was the Audio Technical AE3300, for around $300.00 CDN (SM58 was around 150 or so). Among the mics was a Neuman KM105, SM86, Beta 58, SM57, and a few others.

Some mics were triple the money, and we also did some blind tests. I still use the AE3300, and even on stages with several other mics, sometimes other singers like to use it. Being a condenser, the AE3300 is quite sensitive and picks up the Bass we need when we get closer, and the Mids and Highs are clearly define, just as we like.

EDIT: the surprising parts were: 1. all of us, singers and producers, liked the same mic; 2. It was not the most expensive mic, not even close at 1/3 of the price of the $900CDN  Newman in the same test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:20:47 AM by John Ferreira »
John Ferreira

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »

Discontinued now but I really like my EV ND767's - Dick turned me on to these. For the money (retail) they can go up against anything else.  GC still have some stock at $49 which is silly money............wish I needed some more myself.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »

One of my continuing quandaries is why most vocalists don't spend the time to find the mic that works best with THEIR voice. 
I've been thinking of offering that service, having a wide variety of brands, models and price ranges on hand to test and record, so the vocalist can hear the differences and actually get what the best option. 
My experience with experimenting with a few GOOD singers, is that it's not always the mic you think it will be.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »

One of my continuing quandaries is why most vocalists don't spend the time to find the mic that works best with THEIR voice. 
I've been thinking of offering that service, having a wide variety of brands, models and price ranges on hand to test and record, so the vocalist can hear the differences and actually get what the best option. 
My experience with experimenting with a few GOOD singers, is that it's not always the mic you think it will be.
Because having a bunch of dissimilar mics on a stage, especially with traditional monitors, opens up a whole different set of problems.

Just like with instruments, what sounds best in solo, is not always what sounds best in a mix.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.