ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distro Questions, amp rack tie in  (Read 8410 times)

Steve Crump

Re: Distro Questions, amp rack tie in
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 03:12:24 pm »

To be clear, would a cable with nema5-15P on one end, and a locking 30A 120v (L5-30R) connector on the other end be acceptable in most AHJ's eyes?  Since it's nema5-15P on one end, would 12ga be acceptable?

This would be solely for a convenient way to plug in my amp rack contents with a single plug (all of which are nema5-15p or nema5-20p) if I don't have somewhere to patch the distro.  Behind the panel are two quad-boxes of standard Edison receptacles.

Here are some pictures, don't mind the cable mess, it'll look neater when I'm done:
[/quote]

I see no reason using a 15amp plug on a 12 gauge wire with a 30amp connector to make a change over would be an issue, because you are plugging into a house circuit that is protected by (hopefully) a properly sized overcurrent device. As long as you do not exceed the load rating of the 15amp plug. Which is 12 amps continuous. The NEC tables states; where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, circuit rating 15 or 20 amp that the receptacle rating can be 15amps with a max load of 12amps.
Now if it is a single receptacle on a dedicated branch circuit it would have to be rated at 20amps if on a 20amp breaker, but a duplex is not a single receptacle.
 You could always use a 20amp plug. Of course, this is NEC and I am not familiar with the rules governing Canada....

Steve Crump

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2017, 03:33:18 pm »

You'd have to inquire of LEX Products for a certain answer as the data sheet and user manual do not specify.

However... on the web page it shows accessories that include a 50 amp-rated cable assembly that does, indeed, use CS6364 and CS6365 connectors.

A similar "lunch box" or "pagoda" distro is built by INDU Electric and perhaps a few others.  Custom connector selection (CS) may have an up-charge, but I think you'll want to get prices from more than 1 brand...

Just wanted to throw in here a small warning. I just purchased a LEX 50amp 240/120 volt 6 circuit distro box and had one of the guys at the shop order some parts to make up an extension cord. While getting the parts together and looking at the unit we noticed a missing LED light, so when he opened up the box (the LED was just push back, probably from packaging) he also noticed the wiring to be connected oddly. The box had two breakers on one side of the incoming power and four breakers on the other side. Hard to try and balance the loads..

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 03:40:29 pm »

Doesn't the distro have fuses or breakers protecting each receptacle on the distro?

It should, but frequently ohm-bru distros don't.  That's why it makes more sense to me to use L5-20P inlet flanges, and 5-15R receptacles inside the rack.  You don't need over current protection, but can still plug anything into it.  As somebody else pointed out, a 20A circuit will power a lot of sound equipment without tripping.  But the 30A TLs have become a "standard" with large sound companies (that really do need that much current in a rack), and it's easy to cross rent extra cable from them when you do need it.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 03:40:29 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.