ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Distro Questions, amp rack tie in  (Read 15291 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Distro Questions, amp rack tie in
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »

Ray, The NEC uses words like "Qualified" and "Authorized" for anything that we would call a tie-in - requiring appropriate training/certification as well as official venue permission to modify their electrical system.  The basic rule of thumb is if it requires a tool, we can't do it.  The era of carrying around a bag full of breakers and doing a hot panel tie-in is over.

"Cord and plug devices" are the things end users can do - CS plugs, 14-50 plugs, etc.  Camloks are on the fence.

Particularly for lounge-level folks, you need to either have a licensed electrician permanently install appropriate receptacles in advance, or size the show to the existing power available.
Yep, I guess I should specify: My "Some People" would be someone who is absolutely qualified and authorized to do anything with those spare breakers and tails. That's what I meant by "Be absolutely certain you know what you're doing," but let's be as precise as possible. :)

Getting a 50A service should be easy in most venues, if they're planning on having you back regularly. "In the interests of my being able to provide you with a quality service..."

-Ra
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »

Amp shop makes some distros that would fit your needs: http://www.ampshop.com/distro.html

Whirlwind stuff is great, but can get a bit costly. I have a few distros from LEX Products that I love. http://www.lexproducts.com/products/entertainment/powerhouse-portable-distribution-boxes/50-60-amp-portable-distribution-boxes/50-amp-pagoda-jr.-to-gfci-duplex-receptacles

I second the comment of looking into a 50A Distro. Typically it is easier to find a 50A tie in compared to 30. It also gives you a decent amount of power for smaller to mid sized systems.

~Dave

Based on our experience with Ampshop, I cannot recommend them.  PM me if you want the details.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Simpson

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »

Based on our experience with Ampshop, I cannot recommend them.  PM me if you want the details.

Thanks for the heads up. I have used them in the past with out issue, but it has been some time now. I only have the LEX stuff now. I will be certain to stand clear of them moving forward. There are better options out there for sure.

~Dave

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »

GRANTED.... if an experience with *any* vendor is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth... there's nothing wrong with sharing the gory details here. They can't claim libel if the story is true. S'why I've never had a problem sharing the crap experience with DimmerRack. I would *hate* to have someone else fall into their trap, and get shady equipment, and then have some injured or killed because of it.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »

Please excuse the slight topic swerve, but since 50A Lex Distros came up, would someone mind explaining the functional difference between this and this?  Besides the one having an L6-30 in addition to the 5-20s, I'm really curious why one has an elevation base built into it and the other doesn't.  Would one be more preferable than the other for basic indoor/outdoor use?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 07:32:12 PM »

Please excuse the slight topic swerve, but since 50A Lex Distros came up, would someone mind explaining the functional difference between this and this?  Besides the one having an L6-30 in addition to the 5-20s, I'm really curious why one has an elevation base built into it and the other doesn't.  Would one be more preferable than the other for basic indoor/outdoor use?

The Terrapin is for outdoor use on the ground, that's why it has legs.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gus Housen

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »

The elevation is required for out door use

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »

I have a small California plug distro I got from the Amp Shop some 10 years ago and haven't had any issues with it although it doesn't get that much use.  I've had fire marshals and public works folks look at it and I'm guessing it looked real enough to them that they didn't have any problems.  I was told when I bought it that because of the multi-voltage aspect of PowerCons it wouldn't be UL listed.  Seems these days nothing they have is UL listed and folks have been having issues with the company.

It may be possible to find one of the Peavey units used somewhere.  I would agree though that someone who has to ask, should just go for a UL listed unit from a reputable company so that there's nothing to explain.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 07:48:33 PM »

It may be possible to find one of the Peavey units used somewhere.  I would agree though that someone who has to ask, should just go for a UL listed unit from a reputable company so that there's nothing to explain.

I have a Furman ASD‑120 2.0 for my 100-Amp distro and it works great.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 08:39:08 PM »

The Terrapin is for outdoor use on the ground, that's why it has legs.

Thanks Tim.  That was along the lines of what I was thinking, but the "NEMA 3R Weather Resistant" versus "NEMA TYPE 3R Rainproof" was confusing me.  The Pagoda Jr. still advertises "elevated base keeps receptacles above ground level", so I wasn't sure if there's a specific difference in needs to meet UL/NEC/OSHA requirements for outdoor use in general, or if there are additional requirements for use outdoors in the portable entertainment industry.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 08:39:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.