ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 Wireless Mics  (Read 22776 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: 6 Wireless Mics
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2017, 04:12:54 AM »

As I said look at solutions from other manufacturers than shure for wireless distribution and antennas other than that all good.

Grab some terminators as well, think they should be 75 ohm if I remember right. If you have any unused ports on the distributor they should be terminated.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 07:59:35 AM »

P.S. -- If you bring in someone from outside the church to design a system, extend to them the courtesy of purchasing equipment through them. Consultants often depend on their dealer markup for putting bread on their tables. Besides, if you buy through them, they'll be more likely to offer support when you need help. Amazon doesn't know anything about sound.

False. A consultant does not sell equipment. You are confusing a design build contractor with a real consultant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »

A true consultant will cost you money up front-enough so he doesn't have to sell you something to put bread on his table.  The upside is that you then have a design that you can get competitive bids on and actually compare apples to apples (more or less!).  Unless you have very specific specifications, it is virtually impossible to accurately compare to "design-build" bids.  I have often been asked to do that as an electrical contractor and for me it was usually a now win situation-to get the job on price I usually had to take shortcuts I was not willing o take.  Even more so with sound-there are simply too many short cuts people can take that will bite you in the long run.
Steve Swaffer

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2017, 12:45:45 PM »

A true consultant will cost you money up front-enough so he doesn't have to sell you something to put bread on his table.  The upside is that you then have a design that you can get competitive bids on and actually compare apples to apples (more or less!).  Unless you have very specific specifications, it is virtually impossible to accurately compare to "design-build" bids.  I have often been asked to do that as an electrical contractor and for me it was usually a now win situation-to get the job on price I usually had to take shortcuts I was not willing o take.  Even more so with sound-there are simply too many short cuts people can take that will bite you in the long run.

This.

Mac

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »

Great information.  I am making notes of all of this.

I'm sorry to keep dragging this out, but I have another thought.  If this should be in another post, please let me know and I'll gladly move it.

Once I get all the wireless mics installed, I would like to be able to easily monitor them.  It's my understanding that I can do this remotely with the Shure Plus Mobile App.  That would be great.  I could watch to make sure each unit isn't clipping, etc. 

How would I go about hooking this up?  Can this be done wirelessly on each receiver?  Or do I have to run an Ethernet cable to each receiver?

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2017, 01:49:17 AM »

I would urge the OP to get references on consultants before deciding on one. 

I had to rip out a 3 year old, $100K+ system at a synagogue designed by a top-dog consulting firm who never even sat in a single Shabbat or Mitzvah.  They had no clue who or what they were designing for.  No requirements specification were generated.  Put in a hotel-style zone controller with no way to do live events (couldn't even mute mics.)  Put in $7K full HD Sony PZT cameras only to use COMPOSITE video out.  It was astonishing.

Having a "consultant" title doesn't mean they are holy, up-to-date, or necessarily know everything.  First and foremost,  have to listen to the customer and understand the needs.  There are experienced consultants who are truly fabulous , and "wannabe consultant" consultants who will do more harm than good.

John R.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2017, 07:29:33 AM »

Great information.  I am making notes of all of this.

I'm sorry to keep dragging this out, but I have another thought.  If this should be in another post, please let me know and I'll gladly move it.

Once I get all the wireless mics installed, I would like to be able to easily monitor them.  It's my understanding that I can do this remotely with the Shure Plus Mobile App.  That would be great.  I could watch to make sure each unit isn't clipping, etc. 

How would I go about hooking this up?  Can this be done wirelessly on each receiver?  Or do I have to run an Ethernet cable to each receiver?

Only certain systems can be remotely monitored. 
For Shure I believe that is limited to QLX-D, ULX-D, UHF-R, and Axient.
For Sennheiser that would include 300G3, 500G3, 2000 series, 3000/5000 series, 6000 series, and 9000 series.

All of the comments regarding consulting are correct.  A true consultant charges you to create a design which should be based upon your needs and not what they think you need.  They do not sell you equipment.  They need to qualify your needs through meeting and understanding what and how you need things to work.  There are both good and bad consultants, there are both good and bad design build contractors.  Sometimes a good one takes on a project that is outside of their expertise and it does not turn out well.  In any case you need to do your homework before hiring a consultant.  Talk to former clients, find out how they propose to determine your needs, etc.  Also find out how they resolved any problems and how they worked with the installation contractors.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »

I could watch to make sure each unit isn't clipping, etc. 

Issac, to add to Lee's post:  monitoring is important for battery and RF, although preventing clipping (I'm talking about the audio level from transmitter to receiver, not the mixer channel) is something you would normally adjust pre-show and hopefully not during the show.

The like-receivers that have ethernet ports can be monitored "together" if you plug them into a switch or router (same LAN segment.)

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »

Thank you, John.  I see what you are saying. 

So, to join them to the same router, do take one Ethernet cable from the router to the first receiver?  And then "chain" from that receiver to all the other receivers with small Ethernet cables?

Edit:  I just looked at a pic of the back of the receiver.  I see that there is no "out" for Ethernet.  So....I'm guessing I'll have to use a switch???
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:56:37 AM by Isaac South »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »

Thank you, John.  I see what you are saying. 

So, to join them to the same router, do take one Ethernet cable from the router to the first receiver?  And then "chain" from that receiver to all the other receivers with small Ethernet cables?

Edit:  I just looked at a pic of the back of the receiver.  I see that there is no "out" for Ethernet.  So....I'm guessing I'll have to use a switch???

No to daisy chaining.  Each is a network device and needs it's own switch port.  On dual and quad receivers there is typically only a single network port for all receivers in a common chassis.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.