ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 Wireless Mics  (Read 22799 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: 6 Wireless Mics
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »

Well, even if I can only save someone 3-5% -- heck, even if it's the same price -- sending the business to a PSW member would be preferable to a big box store. :)

.....even if they did kill below 614MHz (and to be candid, I really doubt they will go more than 30-40MHz further south, as that would really really REALLY piss people off), you would still have several years to prepare for it. Right now, just losing from 698MHz to 614MHz, we have AT LEAST 39 months from RIGHT NOW to get ready for it.

Thank goodness I only have 2 channels of 6XXMHz wireless. :D

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »

All - What would be a good option for Shure in the $500-600 dollar range?  Thank you.

Thomas Le

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »

SLX and ULX is your only choice but it's an outdated choice when better performance and usability can be had for the same amount of money ala Sennheiser EW series.

- AA batteries (ULX uses 9v)
- Easy and Better frequency scan (SLX and ULX-S have limited frequency scanning and not intuitive setting frequencies)
- Battery meter (SLX only shows low battery)
- Metal transmitter construction (SLX and ULX transmitters are plastic)

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 10:11:39 PM »

When you go all wireless I recommend you always setup a good wired mic with a long cord somewhere on your platform.  You will need it.  I have read that is you spend a few thousand per mic you can approach the quality but not the reliability of a good wired mic.

I thought I was the only one that felt the need for that?

FWIW, the GLX-D systems (if you read the manual) consider 3 systems the maximum before you are into a less than ideal system-then they add on the existence of any Wifi hotspots and other 2.4G systems-plenty of cornfields around here where you might get away from hotspots-but not many places you need to use a wireless mic.
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »

SLX and ULX is your only choice but it's an outdated choice when better performance and usability can be had for the same amount of money ala Sennheiser EW series.

- AA batteries (ULX uses 9v)
- Easy and Better frequency scan (SLX and ULX-S have limited frequency scanning and not intuitive setting frequencies)
- Battery meter (SLX only shows low battery)
- Metal transmitter construction (SLX and ULX transmitters are plastic)

My older (G2) Sennheisers get about 8 hours on a pair of fresh AA alkaline batteries. I've never seen a 9V mic (alkaline or rechargeable batteries) get that kind of life. (But then again, I haven't seen much.)

The G3 series has a battery meter on the receiver, which the G2 didn't have. That's mighty convenient.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »

You will need to get an antenna distributor and external antennas, trust me I'm speaking from experience here. I find Shure's products to be a little pricey, honestly look at RFVenue for the distributors and possibly the antennas themselves.

The actual units you buy will need to have external removable antennas. Also familiarise yourself with Shure Wireless Workbench, it will be your friend since co-ordinating 8 channels of wireless, specially considering I suspect your current 2 are not of the best quality.

Honestly though rather speak to an integrator in your area, they should be able to assist you in making the correct purchase at the correct price point as well as provide some training on how to properly co-ordinate your RF systems, there are plenty of resources out there for you to learn from but currently you don't have the knowledge to make a good decision on picking the correct mics.

My recommendation QLD units with SM58 capsules and 2 RFvenue distrubutors and whichever antennas come out cheaper, will likely be RFvenue as well. Keep in mind that you will need to factor into your cost cabling for the antennas as well as mounts for the antennas unless you just stick them on some straight stands that you might have laying around.

Your probably looking in the $10000 range there, you will likely get away with a BLX-R or SLX system but there is no guarantee about future proofing and you will probably struggle to add too many more microphones to those 8 to the system should the need arise.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »

Just so I'm clear what is the purpose of the directional antennas and the splitter/power conditioner? Could I get by without buying those two items? My pastor is going to ask that question. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 12:34:41 AM »

Just so I'm clear what is the purpose of the directional antennas and the splitter/power conditioner? Could I get by without buying those two items? My pastor is going to ask that question. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better wireless reception as well as a much neater stage. You won't need to have all 8 receivers sitting behind you pastor.

The usefulness of a directional antenna verses an omni 1/2 wave antennae is that you get point it where it will be needed and therefore get your will get a lower wireless noise floor, you purely need the antenna splitter so that you will be able to run all the mics into the directional anetennas. If I'm not mistaken you will also get less intermod interference with the antennae splitter, I know you will definitely get less intermod when using a combiner with IEM because they are TX antennas and not RX antennas but I do vaguely remember something along those lines...

Pretty much you want to avoid the "antenna farm" that will happen when you have 8 receivers next to each other on stage.

BTW you will only need to space the 2 directional antennas a meter or 2 apart, diversity reception only requires a wavelength separation between receivers. Another note on the directional antennas and the antenna splitter is that you will get slightly better diversity reception verses having the antennas on the receivers due to the slightly more space between the antennas.

EDIT:

Remember to get us the models of those two current wireless systems.

Another EDIT:

Saw this on the wireless forum up to, list of good resources.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,162754.0.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:34:31 AM by Jean-Pierre Coetzee »
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »

Thank you everyone for your input.  I have learned so much in the last week.  Yesterday, our Pastor (and board) approved purchasing all 6 of the Sennheiser EW 135 G3 mics.  Here's what we are going with:

6 EW 135 G3 Cartridge, Transmitter, Receivers
2 ASA1/NT Splitter and Power Distributors
2 A2003-UHF Directional Antennas
Some BNC Cables (by the way...how many of these will I need?)
And a 12u rack (in case we grow).

Two receivers will fit into one rack space, am I right?  And the power distributors are 1unit a piece, correct?  So I should be good with a 12u rack?

Is there anything else that I'm not thinking of that I will need?  Even small stuff, like cable, etc.

Thank you all again.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »

Thank you everyone for your input.  I have learned so much in the last week.  Yesterday, our Pastor (and board) approved purchasing all 6 of the Sennheiser EW 135 G3 mics.  Here's what we are going with:

6 EW 135 G3 Cartridge, Transmitter, Receivers
2 ASA1/NT Splitter and Power Distributors
2 A2003-UHF Directional Antennas
Some BNC Cables (by the way...how many of these will I need?)
And a 12u rack (in case we grow).

Two receivers will fit into one rack space, am I right?  And the power distributors are 1unit a piece, correct?  So I should be good with a 12u rack?

Is there anything else that I'm not thinking of that I will need?  Even small stuff, like cable, etc.

Thank you all again.

What frequency band are you going to buy?  I never saw if you said what frequencies your current equipment is on either.  This is important due to the recent 600mhz band sale.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.