ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to lose some weight.  (Read 24182 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Trying to loose some weight.
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »

I agree with Tom, post count doesn't mean shit.  Quality of quantity.  Like this post, just an affirmation.  Doesn't mean I know anything <<g>>

Low post count on a long time member likely means someone is, um, well, WORKING !
You know, making a living in live sound.
I always believed in read/learn more, open your mouth when you can contribute.
YMMV.
I know, I certainly know less now, than i did when I started here.
Thanks guys. A lot.  :-[
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2017, 08:51:02 AM »

If you hang around long enough you may discover:

1 - Specifications can't describe how something is going to sound
2 - The vendor behind the product is more important than raw performance
3 - Features need to translate to revenue
4 - Picking out gear becomes a very minor part of your job.  That job may be small business owner, BE, club manager, house engineer but at the end of the day we have to achieve a certain result with the assets available to us
5 - You don't know anywhere near as much as you think you did
6 - Something you think you really understood someone is going to come along an prove you wrong.  This hurts a bit the first time.  If you can get over it you will have some real growth as a professional
7 - There are some really nice people in here with huge hearts
8 - Just because someone is crass don't think # 7 doesn't apply
9 - You still don't get "take the cotton out of your ears and stick in your mouth" do you?  Your in depth analysis of the colloquialism makes me think the point sailed right over your head
10 - The majority of the folks here have been in the business longer than you have been alive

Seriously, all newcomers should be required to read and acknowledge this when they sign up.  This is some serious truth.  Well said, indeed.

Rick Powell

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »

Okay. I will say it simply as I can: Is it true or false that a pair of SM80's will be more than $5,000?

That's the only thing I was mentioning. Beyond agreements, you can find the information from vendors who, potentially, broke the agreement and posted them online: Pro AV systems - proavsi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/MSRP-PRICELIST-DANLEY.xlsx

Heck you can even find this information on this site:
I have roughly said the same as they have and that the QRX will be cheaper... I wrongly stated the ZXA5, taken distortion into account but I was entirely correct on the SM80's being out of budget. Unless you or you know someone who is selling SM80's for $2,499 each with shipping included (although I likewise accounted for that initially by claiming unless you can work it out with a dealer). Although the OP has said "around" and has stretched it, my point still remains true regardless: a pair of SM80's will not fit in a $5,000 budget. The same as the RCF TT25A MKII. So no, in this case I am not "proclaiming things as fact" without being certain. I am certain and I have proof to back myself up. This is sales and not a statement of performance.

I believe I just did not explain it entirely. I was associating the math with the knowledge. You must know all the variables to apply math properly. In this way, I grouped the arithmetic and application together. I know it's not proper but contextually I didn't think it needed explaining. However, yes, you are right. One must 'know your stuff' first. Physics class vs. math class essentially. I don't view them differently but I probably should.

FYI, with dealer negotiation I got a pair of SM80's with shipping for substantially less than retail. If you wanted a pair and had a 5k budget, it would be worth a dealer inquiry to see how well you could do.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »

Seriously, all newcomers should be required to read and acknowledge this when they sign up.  This is some serious truth.  Well said, indeed.
TOTALLY agreed,
 +100
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Trying to lose some weight.
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »

I have lost about 20lbs in the past 2 years and have stabilized with a +- 3 lbs over a couple of weeks.

It started when my significant other had weight loss surgery after decades of lose 10 gain 15.
At the time since I was retired, I did most of the grocery shopping and cooking of dinner.
I went to all her nutrition classes etc so I knew what she was being told.
She was given a hard limit (by the surgery) of meal size.

As a result I had to adjust portion sizes for her and I incidentally lowered mine as well. For example, 5 years ago I might cook up 2 16oz steaks for dinner. We might get a bit left over and she would have it for lunch at work. Now, we split a 12-13oz steak. She gets 4oz or so, and I get the rest.

Next, the strong advice was to eat the protein first (really means, finish the protein even if you can’t finish everything else). Why? Because the body doesn’t store protein. If you run low, the body consumes muscle mass.
Next, eat the vegetables (green ones). Last, if you have room, the starch.
We try to make sure we only have one starch, if any, with dinner. It could be bread, rice, potatoes or, in the summer, sweet corn.

And lots of water.

The other big one is only 3 meals per day and no snacking between.

So, bottom line... I lost weight by only changing my eating habits. Exercise helps and adds muscle mass.

It was hard to get started just as changing anything about daily life but for us it was well worth it.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »

Kudos Rob!   It is not easy, especially as we get increasingly “mature”.  Best of luck and health to you and your wife.
..db

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2020, 10:51:12 PM »

Kudos Rob!   It is not easy, especially as we get increasingly “mature”.  Best of luck and health to you and your wife.

Thanks. I am likely in the best condition I have been in since the early 1990s. Also over 50lbs lighter just due to diet.
Oh, and I do eat pretty well, just not lots of it 😁
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rick Powell

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2020, 11:35:11 PM »

I love it when a 3 year old thread gets repurposed! Good to hear of Rob’s weight loss success.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2020, 04:37:48 AM »

Thanks. I am likely in the best condition I have been in since the early 1990s. Also over 50lbs lighter just due to diet.
Oh, and I do eat pretty well, just not lots of it 😁

I have reached the pointed of desperation, I am willing to have bariatric surgery.  I just can seem to make any real progress.  Somehow managed to drop a little during the pandemic but I need to lose 100lbs.  If I don't do something the last decades of my life are going to be seriously impacted.  Literally I am in constant pain.  Arthritis in ankle, knee, hip and back.  Even loading a van destroys me now. 

Your positive outcome Rob is inspirational.  My Dr. just doesn't seem to want to medically intervene in the weight loss.  He just loads me up with steroids.  Need to figure out a different path.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »

I have reached the pointed of desperation, I am willing to have bariatric surgery.  I just can seem to make any real progress.  Somehow managed to drop a little during the pandemic but I need to lose 100lbs.  If I don't do something the last decades of my life are going to be seriously impacted.  Literally I am in constant pain.  Arthritis in ankle, knee, hip and back.  Even loading a van destroys me now. 

Your positive outcome Rob is inspirational.  My Dr. just doesn't seem to want to medically intervene in the weight loss.  He just loads me up with steroids.  Need to figure out a different path.
welcome to the battle...

it is difficult because we are wired to eat everything in sight, because that helped those of our ancestors survive lean times to reproduce. So it is not your fault, but only you can fix it.

The solution is crazy simple in concept but hard to execute... eat less and do more physical work. How is the magic question and there is a multi-bazillion dollar industry pedaling too easy answers to ever work.

My first advice (if I could be so bold) is DO NOT DIET.... Short term diets actually hurt long term energy balance. Rapid weight loss will reduce muscle mass along with the fat, reducing your resting energy burn (so you will gain weight back even faster). Rather than having a short term weight target, adopt a long term eating/exercise plan you can follow for the rest of your life. If you eat right and exercise appropriately your body will get right all by itself.

What matters is how much you eat and how much you exercise in the average... If you have one piece of cake for your birthday, don't worry, averaged over the entire week that is not much, what puts the weight on is too many daily empty calorie snacks (think average energy intake).

It might be an interesting awareness exercise to write down every piece of food you consume (including drink) for a couple days and tally up the energy intake. Exercise does not have to be rigorous but you do need to move (use it or lose it). As I get older I lose more every day.

I generally avoid fast or processed foods. I cook for myself and freeze multiple one serving portions to reheat and eat later in the week, this works better for my portion control than eating ad lib.   

The other day I came across a couple old new year's resolutions I made back in the 1980s... I am now 10 pounds lighter than my NYE resolution "wish weight", it only took me 30+ years.   8)

It's a long haul so be patient and make small steps at first, just try to move in the right direction most of the time.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.