ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to lose some weight.  (Read 24184 times)

John Ferreira

Trying to loose some weight.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »

The size of the voice coil has NOTHING to do with "throw".

"Throw" is a VERY misunderstood term.

I agree with Ivan. 
Unless you use acoustic lenses, or any filter affecting  phase, sound just travels at approximately 343m/s, so, it decreases by approximately 6dB as you double the distance.

There is no throwing, just a  propagating wave.

I say "approximately" because it changes with heat and humidity.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:21:52 PM by John Ferreira »
John Ferreira

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Trying to loose some weight.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 06:28:38 PM »

Plz Stahp
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Ferreira

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 06:30:18 PM »

John Ferreira

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 07:13:34 PM »

From a sound quality standpoint, RCF TT5A or TT25A are much better than a ZXa5.  Would something like the TTL6A bring in more business for you?  It's one of the top active speaker on a stick options right now. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 07:36:14 PM »

George, out of curiosity, where are you crossing between the danley th215's and JBL PD 5122's ?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »

Something I said?

No, not you.

Mr. Churchill is talking above his paygrade.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

George Terrez

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 08:54:44 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your replies , definetly some very good and interesting suggestions , I have been reading the specs of all of them , the RCF TT L6A is a very nice box , but way over my budget , if I had the money this would be my choice. 
     There is something that I did not mention , but I would like to be able to use these new speakers without a sub for smaller events also , there is a few of them that don't do well under 100hz , so those would be out the list .
    I am leaning towards the RCF TT25A but it has been discontinued and I don't know if RCF will offer support for it after some time , the jbl's srx835p are hard to not look at them for the price , but I have heard that they don't go as loud as the specs claim , the other option would be to stretch the budget and go with either he RCF TT5A or the NXl44's , I like the fact that the croosover point on those are set lower than any of the other speakers on my price range.
  The Peter Morris design looks pretty good also , but I would like something with the amp built in.

Thanks.

Mark , I run the Danleys from 30hz to 75Hz , then the PD5122's from there up to 300hz ,  the VS2210-9 are set with the jbl suggested tunings.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:05:25 PM by George Terrez »

Jake R. Trutt

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »

No, not you.

Mr. Churchill is talking above his paygrade.

How do you know how much I get paid? I'm not a sound engineer but I am a club DJ. Some of which get paid in excess of 20 million a year... which is way more than any sound engineer that I know of... but regardless of that assumption I can tell you that from experience the ZXA5 will be louder than the SRX815P/SRX835P. And it will provide more bass, the kind that the OP desires for using them by themselves. The other option, the RCF's, are something that I have not heard and did not compare directly because I lack personal experience with them. I only commented on application differences between the ZXA5 and SRX815P.

I probably shouldn't speak on 'throw' but hey, it's a learning experience. I just turned 22 so I'm not that experienced yet; I'm just a sound enthusiast with some experience but do not tell me to stop. I want to learn and by telling me to stop you are preventing me from learning, which is unfortunate. Most of the people here are much older than myself and by commenting on these threads, I am learning, and I am providing information based upon personal experience.

I know that something is different between the two that make the larger voice coils louder. I just don't know why or how. I do know that the QRX212 and SRX815P have higher sound pressure levels at longer distance, while the ZXA5's cut out after the size of a gym. For outdoor gigs the QRX212 and SRX815P are better choices. The club I play at uses ZXA5's and they perform great indoors but they do not perform as well outside and we usually use a different rig if it's an outdoor gig. That's something I can replicate with the speakers and I don't need to know the physics behind it. The sensitivity of the DH7 (QRX212/75) is only a 1-2db difference from the ND2 (ZXA5) as well (ND2 is more sensitive at 112 but the DH7, at 111 sensitivity, takes more power but it only makes the DH7 only 1db louder, which is negligible to the ear), so I don't know where I'm off with my association of voice coil size and 'throw'. I have personal experience and the ability to recreate it. I know for a fact that the ZXA5 will beat out the SRX835P in weight and SPL. You can test it yourself but I know you will find that the ZXA5 is louder. It is the loudest box I've heard that's under 60lbs. But the 815P and 212/75 reach farther. The real world application does not lie, so the knowledge must be able to prove it. I just don't know the exact knowledge. I do not have the exact response graphs so I can't say if that's true or not or exactly what is going on.

All that being said: I know the drop off ratio and I know it dips as you get farther away from it but how do you explain how the SRX815P is louder farther away when the EV ZXA5 sounds louder when you are closer to it (regarding higher hz)? Is it "acoustic lenses, or any filter affecting phase"? I want a logical explanation and not a simple derailing and insulting ad hominem:

Plz Stahp

This could be taken as a correlation between improper English and insulting my intellect in regards to sound, in other words an attack on me instead of what I said. I do appreciate the corrections that Ivan and John have provided though. I have learned greatly from what they have explained, especially regarding cardioid in a different thread.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:16:07 PM by ianzchurchill »

John Ferreira

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 11:06:20 PM »

All that being said: I know the drop off ratio and I know it dips as you get farther away from it but how do you explain how the SRX815P is louder farther away when the EV ZXA5 sounds louder when you are closer to it (regarding higher hz)? Is it "acoustic lenses, or any filter affecting phase"? I want a logical explanation and not a simple derailing and insulting ad hominem:

This could be taken as a correlation between improper English and insulting my intellect in regards to sound, in other words an attack on me instead of what I said. I do appreciate the corrections that Ivan and John have provided though. I have learned greatly from what they have explained, especially regarding cardioid in a different thread.

The room with its boundaries can very much affect amplitude (volume) and phase (wave alignment, cancelation) and so behaving like filters.

Sometimes looking at an audio measurement, you may be surprised by what you think you hear, versus the actual measurement.

John Ferreira

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 11:43:48 PM »

I just turned 22 so I'm not that experienced yet

When I was starting out (less than your age), a very experienced sound engineer told me he was almost 3x my age, with at least a couple order of magnitude more experience.  Told me to do my math again.

Respect comes in many forms.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 11:43:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.