ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to lose some weight.  (Read 11948 times)

George Terrez

Trying to lose some weight.
« on: March 04, 2017, 12:09:01 pm »

Hi Folks , my name is George , I have been a member of prosound for a few years , I don't post here often , but I usually like to read the forums a few times a week , that has helped me a lot , reading and learning from all the professionals and the weekend warriors like my self.

Here is what I am trying to do , I want  to switch my tops for something lighter with the same or better SPL and SQ than what I have right know, the system I have sounds really good but is getting very heavy for me , lately is being very hard to find help and I have to set up the system by myself , 100lbs per box at 45 years old is not a good match.
    Right know I am running a sound system that is being used for bands as well as dj's , the sounds consist of 2 Danley TH215's , 1 JBL PD 5122 and 1 JBL VS2210-9  per side , Danleys are powered by a powersoft k10 , Pd5122's are powered by a QSC PL380 and the VS2210-9 are running biamp with a pair of lab gruppen FP2600 , I  use a JBL DSC260 to process the system.  The places where I use it the most is a typical school gym , I am very happy with the way it sounds.
   My budget is about $5000 for two tops to replace all the jbl speakers , I would like to get something powered to loose weight on the amp rack as well , this will eliminate three amps and that would be ideal.

The speakers that I am looking into , but I can't demo are these ones:

RCF TT25 AII
  RCF NX L24A
  JBL SRX835P
  Danley Sm80

Do you think any of these will have the same capability as the jbl's that I own now?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:59:40 pm by Mac Kerr »

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Trying to loose some weight.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:19:28 pm »

RCF TT25 AII
  RCF NX L24A
  JBL SRX835P
  Danley Sm80

Do you think any of these will have the same capability as the jbl's that I own now?

Hi George, doesn't look like it, just going by the specs and comparing drivers.
I hadn't heard of your JBL boxes, pretty powerful setup it seems.

If you're in to DIY, the Peter Morris DIY90 and DIY60 on soundforums might be the ticket.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 02:31:59 pm »

If you're in to DIY, the Peter Morris DIY90 and DIY60 on soundforums might be the ticket.

+1
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:08:02 pm »

You'd have to stretch the budget a little bit, but consider these also;

Bassboss AT212
http://www.bassboss.com/tops/at212-powered-speaker/

RCF NXL44A
http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/nx-series/nx-l44-a

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 03:14:27 pm »

These will be within your budget and sound good also:

http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/noesis-3tx/

If you're in the Chicago area, there are at least couple folks here on PSW that own them, and JTR is not that far (Racine, WI area I believe.)

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 04:37:33 pm »

These will be within your budget and sound good also:

http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/noesis-3tx/

If you're in the Chicago area, there are at least couple folks here on PSW that own them, and JTR is not that far (Racine, WI area I believe.)

John R.

Wow - did not realize how small and light weight those JTR's are!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 05:10:51 pm »

George, I've been there and done that so I know how you feel.  I have JBL SRX835P's in my rental stock, and it is a very good box that might replace all of your current JBL boxes and some amps.  The specs look similar, but it is NOT a one man box the way some of the other choices are.  It's not all that heavy (for what it is - a 3 way system with horn loaded mid/hi), but when you add its bulk, it'd be a struggle for one person IMHO.

Jake R. Trutt

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 05:43:46 pm »

The EV ZXA5 would be my first choice. It is, without a doubt, the best powered top for the price. It uses the line-array EV woofer and weighs 50 pounds, while costing $1699 shipped ($3400 for a pair). You'll be surprised at how loud they get, even though it's a two-way cab, it will get louder than your current setup and equal the SRX83SP in output but will throw farther (only one I've heard on your list). I have heard the SH46 and that will beat everything on your list without a doubt, but that's a step up from the SM80 and over 100 pounds. Although a pair of SM80's will not fit your budget, they will be at least 2 grand over your budget and a pair of SH46's will be almost double your budget.

The RCF TT25 looks great and would probably be on par or just slightly better than the ZXA5 but it's almost twice the price. It does have a 4" voice coil though, meaning it should throw farther than the ZXA5. I haven't heard it but if it is what it says it is, then that would be a better choice. However, if throw is a necessity, the SRX815P, while putting out slightly less loud and being 13 pounds heavier, will have more throw than the ZXA5. It uses 3" voice coils vs. the ZXA5 uses 2" voice coils.

I am going off my personal experience with how loud these tops get though. I simply haven't heard a top louder than the ZXA5 for its price range or weight. It's a one man job to mount on a pole and it gets extremely loud.

If you do choose to remain passive, the QRX212/75 is hands down the best choice (given the budget).

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 05:53:35 pm »

. It does have a 4" voice coil though, meaning it should throw farther than the ZXA5.
The size of the voice coil has NOTHING to do with "throw".

"Throw" is a VERY misunderstood term.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jake R. Trutt

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 06:05:51 pm »

The size of the voice coil has NOTHING to do with "throw".

"Throw" is a VERY misunderstood term.

I left out the fact that they can take more wattage and have (generally) higher sensitivity too, that was my bad. But from personal experience, the SRX815P can be heard from farther away, while the EV ZXA5 is louder up front but doesn't go as far. I don't know how to say that to be honest.

Edit, I found this on another thread here regarding 3" voice coil vs 4" voice coils:
On the same diameter speaker a small voice coil has less control over the cone compared to a large voice coil. With a small voice coil the cone is able to be more resonant compared to the same size cone with a large voice coil. Some small voice coil speakers may appear to be more efficient but this extra efficiency may be only at the one resonant bass note. At frequencies above this resonant bass not the speaker may be less efficient compared to the same cone with a large voice coil. Cost and performance of speakers increase with voice coil size.
The large the voice coil the better the control over the cone, and therefore improved damping and linearity. Large voice coils are expensive to make. Assembling the speaker is also more difficult, tolerances taken to greater accuracy. The large the voice coil diameter - the larger the area of the magnetic gap. To keep the flux density of the magnetic energy(per unit area) in the gap the same(for the speaker to retain the same efficiency) magnet size and therefore mass of the speaekr must be increased. The major advantage of larger voice coil is greater power-handling.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:12:31 pm by ianzchurchill »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 06:05:51 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 24 queries.