ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Front lighting  (Read 14631 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Front lighting
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »

Another time saver is using the 2.4 wireless dmx dongles.  All you have to connect is power, which keeps those small stages cleaner without dmx cable running all around.  Plus less to wrap up at the end of the night.

They're definitely a time saver, but I personally choose not to rely on wireless anything for show-critical applications unless absolutely necessary.  That includes tablet-only light/sound boards, wireless DMX, etc.  Even wireless mics - when needed I always have a wired backup on standby. 

We have the Donner wireless, rechargeable DMX dongles and while we loved them at first, we have had transmitter problems at our last two shows. Not fun when the lights stop responding 10 minutes prior to show start... I contacted Donner's distributor via Amazon and wow - what a nightmare.

And that's why.  Spotty wireless is never any fun in the best of times, and a reputation-affecting absolute disaster at the worst of times!  Sorry to hear about your experience though, Steve.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »

They're definitely a time saver, but I personally choose not to rely on wireless anything for show-critical applications unless absolutely necessary.  That includes tablet-only light/sound boards, wireless DMX, etc.  Even wireless mics - when needed I always have a wired backup on standby. 

And that's why.  Spotty wireless is never any fun in the best of times, and a reputation-affecting absolute disaster at the worst of times!  Sorry to hear about your experience though, Steve.

Yeah. After a few minutes of troubleshooting, we reverted to the good ole DMX cable. No major impact but darned frustrating... and they always work flawlessly back at the shop so go figure. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »

Yeah. After a few minutes of troubleshooting, we reverted to the good ole DMX cable. No major impact but darned frustrating... and they always work flawlessly back at the shop so go figure. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a problem with mine. As far as maintenance, I consider them disposable at their price point.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »

I've never had a problem with mine. As far as maintenance, I consider them disposable at their price point.

Same here, once I get them sync'd they stay that way.  I have the generic silver ones for several years.

Carl Wetter

• Mebane, NC
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »

I still think you should get (2) of these, and bolt them to the fly-points on your speakers:
http://www.proaudiostar.com/chauvet-corepar-80-usb.html?utm_source=Google_Shopping&gclid=CjwKEAiA6OnFBRDcgt7YmPKI33ESJACJoTJYOY-GTAbxPwJs8FWCr-_LDyb5xDzxg3xNOjaE7VSEbhoCpQfw_wcB

80W tri-color Cob with a 70 deg beam angle. That is a very good price.

+1 on the Corepar. It will look unwieldy on top of your speakers but it will do what you are asking.

Justin Waters

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »

+1 on the Corepar. It will look unwieldy on top of your speakers but it will do what you are asking.

The fly points on the speakers are fly tracks, not the threaded style.  Anyone have a good way of using those to mount speakers?

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »

Eventually I'll move to an LED, perhaps one of the cob units. One thing I don't like about the lower cost COB's is that they're typically only 3 color RBG, and I want amber for front wash.

I get some pretty nice ambers from my dotz pars which are only RGB, I think you might be surprised.  I had the same feeling but after watching various youtube videos I saw that they do in fact manage some surprising palettes. 

I found some pictures from a while back of a 40' wide stage, 12-piece R&B band, and just two ADJ Dotz Pars per side on the side-mount arms I was referring to.  covers pretty well even with the lenses on, and would be wider without the lenses. 

Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Allen Smith

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »

I am in a similar situation in a semi rural area.  We want to get in and out quickly but still look good.  I purchased five Chauvet 4bar tri USB bars and love them. I can setup a 20 light show in 20 minutes and you have either full dmx control as if they were individual fixtures or use the included dumb controller for a down and dirty setup. 

Each 4bar tri USB comes in a package with a padded case, a stand and a wireless controller.  I think it's the best bang for the buck for bands playing small clubs and it doesn't look like a compromise.

Bonus is it supports the Chauvet wifi USB dongle.

Background/gear:  I run sound/lighting for a band that I am in.  We play small bars/clubs and some outdoor gigs.  Lighting rig consists of 4 x ADJ Inno Spot Pro movers that sit on the floor and/or cases and 2 x 6.5' global truss totems with 4x ADJ Dotz pars on each.   Main speakers are RCF 4Pro 2031-A that have the flytrack flypoints.

We are starting to play more and more places that have no lighting at all (we were playing a lot of gigs that had only front light).  I like to use the totem lights as back lighting but I cant do that when there is no front lighting.  So, I am looking for some fixtures that I can use as front lighting.  Preferably I would mount them on top of the speakers or even clamp them to the poles that are between the speakers and subs.  Preferably only 1 per side due to power concerns and set up/tear down times, but I could probably make 2 per side work fine as well.  They dont have to be exclusively CW/WW fixtures.  Budget is as cheap as possible, Im just trying to gauge the cost right now so there technically isnt a budget. 

Anyone have thoughts on a product?

Steve Garris

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 01:41:52 PM »

The difference can be seen here. The yellow colored lights are RBGW, and that is as close as I could get to the golden color here which is a RBGA fixture.

Perhaps the COB lights mix colors better. I'm looking for that "gold" color, not lime-green-yellow.

Steve Garris

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »

I am in a similar situation in a semi rural area.  We want to get in and out quickly but still look good.  I purchased five Chauvet 4bar tri USB bars and love them. I can setup a 20 light show in 20 minutes and you have either full dmx control as if they were individual fixtures or use the included dumb controller for a down and dirty setup. 

Each 4bar tri USB comes in a package with a padded case, a stand and a wireless controller.  I think it's the best bang for the buck for bands playing small clubs and it doesn't look like a compromise.

Bonus is it supports the Chauvet wifi USB dongle.

Those look great. I will say those are a great design. Very compact, 1 plug, easy programming. A friend of mine uses an older version of this and it is very effective. My only issue is you can have more for less money if you assemble you own tree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.