ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDI-synced lighting  (Read 3006 times)

William Wade

MIDI-synced lighting
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »

Awaiting arrival of a cheap light board that accepts MIDI Note ON commands to load scenes. We are willing to play to a click, but need to find a program that will allow me to create a click and also insert MIDI Note ON commands. I have to assume this is fairly standard for syncing a light show, but Google seems to think this is an incredibly difficult request.

Do any of you run a show like this and if so can you recommend a software to do it? Theoretically anything that can output Note ON will work, since I can just program our click track to it. I'm the drummer so I'll just need to hook some earbuds up to the laptop at that point I assume.

Thanks!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: MIDI-synced lighting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »

Awaiting arrival of a cheap light board that accepts MIDI Note ON commands to load scenes. We are willing to play to a click, but need to find a program that will allow me to create a click and also insert MIDI Note ON commands. I have to assume this is fairly standard for syncing a light show, but Google seems to think this is an incredibly difficult request.

Do any of you run a show like this and if so can you recommend a software to do it? Theoretically anything that can output Note ON will work, since I can just program our click track to it. I'm the drummer so I'll just need to hook some earbuds up to the laptop at that point I assume.

Thanks!

Try searching "simple Free Midi Sequencer".  You should find a few options.  Any MIDI sequencer will do what you want to do. 

You will need to have some kind of sound generation device to make the click sound, although some of the MIDI sequencers may have that capability built in.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

William Wade

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:49:35 PM »

Try searching "simple Free Midi Sequencer".  You should find a few options.  Any MIDI sequencer will do what you want to do. 

You will need to have some kind of sound generation device to make the click sound, although some of the MIDI sequencers may have that capability built in.

I'm actually figuring I won't need to generate sound. If the lights are synced to my expectation, I'll be very aware of whether or not I'm falling behind or running ahead of the click... because nothing I'm playing will be syncing up to the show. I'm thinking that I can basically play by sight when the song starts (i.e. I'll see the four count) and go from there.

Unfortunately my board was delayed in shipping so I'm going to have exactly three days to make this happen. I downloaded Anvil Studio in hopes that it'll do what I need. We'll find out Tuesday I guess.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 05:53:41 AM »

Have an unsynchronised "plan b" for your lights if you are going to take the plunge with little testing/rehersal time.  :-)

Phoenixx Neil

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »

I would suggest Qlab for this type of setup, but if you are using a Windows PC then I would use "virtualKeys" which is a program to send and receive musical midi notes via a virtual keyboard. You will have to sync your click to the software somehow, although less than ideal, it will get you your midi Note ON command.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.