ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Speakers  (Read 11833 times)

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Favorite Speakers
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 09:52:38 PM »

Professionally, I'm very impressed with d&b Y7P. Light, loud, stick-able.

constant directivity all the way to intercept frequency, and flat as a ruler with a tight impulse response.

Our Y10Ps are truly the unsung hero of our speaker inventory. They continue to exceed expectations in pretty much every situation--front fill, side fill, delays, ballroom mains. Paired with a V-Sub they are pretty hard to beat for a "1-person-setup" situation.

Of course they don't really tick OP's "inexpensive" box, but the topic has seemed to have swerved a bit to a general list of faves.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »

Hi Hayden,

The front of the Y7P is about 228 square inches, while the SM60F is about 466s.i.
Does this mean the SM60F has pattern control to about an octave lower?
The SM60F CLF file shows useful pattern control starting around 200Hz.

Does the Y7P require d&b processing to sound good?

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Professionally, I'm very impressed with d&b Y7P. Light, loud, stick-able.

constant directivity all the way to intercept frequency, and flat as a ruler with a tight impulse response.

Aisle 6

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 05:31:57 AM »

To Scott - ok, I gotta know - who dragged the MSL3 rig out of the barn and evicted the critters long enough to send it on tour?   ;D
LOL! The crew who run the MSL3's have been running them since the early eighties I believe and have never wavered. I kind of inherited this production company when I took the FOH/TM gig for this band. They are cheap, need I say more. I have to say that they push like a freight train though. Brute force and ignorance. ; )

In most rooms I am running two MS3's over two Martin WS218S subs a side. This is for 400-600PAX rooms. So plenty of damage can be achieved. I have to say that the Martin subs are incredible.
Also, thank god I do not have to lift a single thing.

Aisle 6

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 05:35:03 AM »

ScottM, I heard KV2 for the first time about 15 years ago.
Cranked up they held together very nicely.
At 240#, MSL3s are a solid choice, if somebody else is moving them!

Bang for buck, the KV2 are really hard to beat and the ES system is a real swiss army knife in it's configurations. I have done some truly incredible configurations with those systems and I am about to take delivery of VHD5.0 which is a point source giant and potential game changer.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 07:26:06 AM »

Hi Hayden,

The front of the Y7P is about 228 square inches, while the SM60F is about 466s.i.

I think the only horn in the Y7p is the HF driver.  So the pattern control would only work for it. 

It is also not just the size of the horn-but also the radiated pattern.  They are equally important

For a given size horn, the one with the wider pattern will have control down lower.

So smaller wide horns can actually have more control down low than larger narrower ones.

The formula is (so you can play along at home):

Pattern control freq= 1,000,000/(size of exit of horn in inches x rated pattern of horn).
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 08:46:07 AM »

With the exception of a couple of models, any d&b speaker needs to be powered by a d&b amplifier loaded with the appropriate speaker profile for proper performance.

Would it work if you plugged it into a generic amp with no processing? Yes, but it would be complete waste of money and performance and risk damaging the speaker. With "system" based manufacturers like d&b, L-Acoustics, Nexo, etc. the amp/processor is a vital part of the equation. Think of it more like a powered speaker system only the amp module lives in a rack giving you some added flexibility.

Robert Healey

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »

Hi Hayden,

The Y7P has a dipole arraingement of the 8" drivers. It produces a pattern that doesn't quite look smooth like large horn (As you decrease in frequency the pattern pattern widens and narrows, if you look at the datasheet) but it does extend the pattern control to lower frequencies. Having heard the Q7 I think D&B has created an excellent sounding speaker using the technique.

Think of D&B speakers as a powered speaker with the amp on the outside - you shouldn't expect to use them with anything but the D&B amp.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »

Here is the sub-TH50 (can't find photos of the SH50s) for a high end home setup in piano white.

It was for a Arab Sheik in his glass/chrome apartment.

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/126/5acf6c1a580c4da8ab2ff7871f3f97bc/l.jpg

Sheik Yerbouti needed some low end?  :D Sorry, couldn't resist, was just listening to Zappa
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »

Here is the sub-TH50 (can't find photos of the SH50s) for a high end home setup in piano white.

It was for a Arab Sheik in his glass/chrome apartment.

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/126/5acf6c1a580c4da8ab2ff7871f3f97bc/l.jpg

Abdul?

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »

Fulcrum Acoustic FA22AC in 90 and 60 degree horizontal dispersions are our go to for what you describe.  Sound great as is and have the option to get into the onboard DSP if needed.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.